300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on wordage

I posted on here a few weeks back in detail all the steps of the hiring process I've been through. That being said, I interviewed with the chief and mayor of a specific borough two weeks ago. I felt great after the interview. I thought I really hit it off with both the chief and especially the mayor. There were four of us that were that far with everything and there was one immediate spot to be filled. Both the mayor and the chief said that they want 4 hires within the year but there was not yet funding for all positions. So they both made it clear they are working to get money for these other three spots.

Now I know one of the other guys interviewed that day and know he was higher than me on the initial civil service list, and he knew of one above him. Putting me at least 3rd on the list of four.

This past weekend I got a letter saying this
    We regret to inform you that you have not been selected as a candidate for nomination at this time. Mayor BLANK will submit for nomination the candidate to borough council for their appointment.
    They go on to explain how there were over 400 applicants for the two positions and its highly competitive so on etc. And they thank me for my interest in the department.

Now, based on this would you say its the standard letter of "you're not number one of the four so you're not being nominated." ? It says at this time I'm not a candidate.

To me, based on my thoughts of the interview, and the feedback they gave of the future positions, I may still get called for nomination in the future, which is what I'm hoping for.

Thoughts?
    West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
    Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
    Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

To me the statement sounds like you're not considered at all...that they have dropped you from the list of potential candidates.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Sounds like you're NOT the candidate they will submit as this time. I see some hope for you if future funding is secured. Please don't go by what I think though. Make a polite inquiry to the Chief to see where you stand. Good luck.

Comment

Smurf that was my initial thought but I didn't really see how they would have just eliminated me. They both said (the interviews were each one on one) that I was extremely qualified or I would have not made it that far, and they both had great positive feedback to me during our discussion, which lead me to believe otherwise.

Phil.. would it be customary to call the civil service commission and just ask what exactly it means? They've made it clear throughout this process that its a 'don't call us we'll call you' type of thing.

I appreciate your input.
        Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009

Comment

True. You'd have to be qualified to make it that far; but perhaps they weeded you out in the final steps? The wording sucks. Plain and simple. I agree with Phil...I'd call the BI and ask him if you'll be considered for future positions.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Normally, I don't recommend calling the Agency, BI, etc, but in this case, I don't see it hurting you. Let me offer you something else. Probably won't make you feel any better, but might give you some insight into this often agravating "process". What you just played, was a numbers game. You came down to the wire, but didn't make the cut for the available slot(s). Had there been more openings, you'd have probably been hired.. I can certainly understand your disappointment, but don't let this setback keep you from further applications in the future. Don't limit your applications to only one agency. I also agree with Smurf, that the wording of the letter left much to be desired. Good luck in your future efforts.

Comment

Thank you guy...and girl. I have many applications out there and I'm advanced in the process of several other places. I know something will pull through sooner rather than later. Obviously it would be nice to be able to relax for a short while.

I knew there was only a narrow shot in the dark of getting that first spot (as I said that there were two ranked ahead of me that I know of). I was expecting this letter its just the wording that leaves me kind of in the blue about whats in the future.

I didn't really have much contact with my BI beyond an initial conversation so I may call the civil service secretary that has handled everything and see if she had any information to convey.

Comment

The wording "at this time" seems to hold hope for the future. It implies the appointment (hiring) list will continue to be maintained for use in filling future vacancies. Under the circumstances, you should be considered to fill future vacancies based on your position on the list.

I would ask them three things:

1. What your position is on the list

2. When the list expires

3. How many vacancies they anticipate filling before the list expires.

This will give you an idea as to where you stand and how long it may take them to get to you.

Most agencies maintain the appointment list for one or two years because testing can be a lengthy and costly process However, some small departments hold a new test for every vacancy. If this happens, it usually means they already know who they want for the position or they want to limit testing to local candidates.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Keep in mind the wording is not specific to you. The letter was most likely form type, where they secretary simply was told who they picked, and to mail letters to the ones not selected. I was eliminated after the written test, after the initial interview, after the Chief's Interview, and all the letters were basically the same. Very generic, and intentionally done so, one letter for everyone who was not selected, so don't read into the wording too much. Just keep your head up, as others have said, it is a numbers game, keep applying, and if it is meant to be, it will be. I applied with 15 agencies or so over a year and a half to get hired, which ironically was by the 4th agency I applied to, just took that long for the position to be cleared to be filled, and for everything to work itself out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6912 users online. 335 members and 6577 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X