300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My GPA

I graduated in 2008 with a 2.91 GPA. I was reading the "grilled on the oral" thread and it got me worried about that.

Now, I worked my butt off in school. I did whatever I could to pass my classes: Tutoring, study groups, working with professors...but I still managed only Bs, a few As, and three Cs.

How bad does this look in a background? Should I consider another career (McDonald's or gas pumper) or will my two years of working since make up for that?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Your GPA is meaningless unless you are applying with one of those rare agencies that sets a certain GPA as a minimum requirement for the job.

The purpose of the background is to verify your identity, confirm that you possess the minimum requirements for the position you are seeking and determine if there is anything in your personal history that meets the criteria for DQ. GPA plays no role in those issues unless (again) GPS is one of the minimum requirements for the job.

FWIW, I have only heard of one or two departments in Texas that require a minimum GPA.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Don't worry about it.

Comment

What the others said, the post you mentioned had many issues other than GPA.
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
          YA think! lol
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            YA think! lol
            Lol, Iowa..........
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

My nephew is currently with the US Marshals Office, he was NYPD prior. He holds claim as graduating from the University of Texas with the lowest passing GPA. (Actually I think he was second lowest). Is he dumb? Far from it, he just wasn't worried about GPA. Only the FBI had a problem with it. He is doing well.

There is an old saying in Medical School: "What do you call the guy with the lowest GPA in med school?"

Answer: "Doctor."

Don't sweat the GPA, but have a explanation as to why it is it is what it is. Did you work through college? Poor study habits? Concentrated on other things?

Good luck.
              Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Don't read too much into that thread. The low GPA is the least of that poster's "issues". As has been noted, few--very few agencies will require a certain minimum GPA. You've got the degree, right? That's what matters. Good luck.

Comment

Agreed, and, for what it's worth, a 2.91 isn't that bad of a GPA. It shows that you at least tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                    +1.

Comment

Oh you're toast!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8241 users online. 444 members and 7797 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X