300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with chief

I did a search and wasn't able to find much info on the interview with the chief. I am curious what to expect. Will I be asked mostly personal questions or will it be structured more like the oral board with situational questions? Thanks in advance.

Depends on the chief. It could be a combination of both. It is a chance for the chief to see if you are going to fit in with the dept., meet his, the depts and the community's expectation/s, etc.

Comment

A lot of departments operate under what is called the Rule of Three. It allows them to fill a vacancy from any of the top three scores on the civil service test.

The chief will call in the top three scoring candidates, interview each one and determine which one he feels would be the best fit for his department. The two that are not picked remain on the hiring list and are considered as part of the top three for the next vacancy. This may be one of those types of interviews.

What the interview will consist of depends on the mood of the chief. Most tend to be a "getting to know you" type of meeting. This is the one time where you get to really sell yourself (without being obnoxious about it).
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

As a new chief, last February, I interviewed the top four, of the top eight scorers of the 19 who sat for the written test. I had two openings to fill.

I wanted to know, on a one-to-one contact, what set two of those candidates apart from the other two. I also wanted to fill in the blanks, when someone said on an application that their previous LE agency head "exercised his at-will option," to terminate their employment.

Yeah, in a way, you might say it was about personalities. This is a small workplace with less than ten full and part-time cops. I needed to know if I, and the rest of the employees here, would be able to get along with whomever I picked.

If I was back at LAPD and sat on entry level orals, the chances of me ever having to supervise anyone whose oral I sat on were very slim-to-none-to-zero. Here, however, I need to know that my pick will get along with me and the rest of the people who work here on a personal basis.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
          As a new chief, last February, I interviewed the top four, of the top eight scorers of the 19 who sat for the written test. I had two openings to fill.

I wanted to know, on a one-to-one contact, what set two of those candidates apart from the other two. I also wanted to fill in the blanks, when someone said on an application that their previous LE agency head "exercised his at-will option," to terminate their employment.

Yeah, in a way, you might say it was about personalities. This is a small workplace with less than ten full and part-time cops. I needed to know if I, and the rest of the employees here, would be able to get along with whomever I picked.

If I was back at LAPD and sat on entry level orals, the chances of me ever having to supervise anyone whose oral I sat on were very slim-to-none-to-zero. Here, however, I need to know that my pick will get along with me and the rest of the people who work here on a personal basis.

Good luck; let us know how it turns out. I am very anxious to see as well. I also would like to add to your question if you don't mind.

Do all departments typically hire specifically based on the highest scores? What if the somebody has an 85 and somebody has an 80, but with experience, education, and everything else, they are more fit for the job? I always wondered this..

Comment

Originally posted by ATWA View Post
            Do all departments typically hire specifically based on the highest scores? What if the somebody has an 85 and somebody has an 80, but with experience, education, and everything else, they are more fit for the job? I always wondered this..
            Yes, civil service agencies are required to hire in order of their test scores.

Most civil service exams consists of tests that measure one's ability to actually perform the duties of the job. Scores are based on the number of correct answers you give to job related questions. These questions may be true/false, multiple choice or scenario based. They may also measure your ability to follow complex instructions, memorization, powers of observation, deductive reasoning, the ability to write understandable reports, understanding of the law, etc.

Education and experience alone do not necessarily demonstrate those abilities. I know lots of guys fresh out of college with Bachelors degrees in CJ that have been absolute disasters as cops. I knew one guy who became a cop after years of experience as an attorney. He was so bad they actually had to fire him.

While testing scores are not always perfect, so far it has been the best indicator as to who is best qualified to do the job.

Previously I mentioned the Rule of Three in my state. Kieth has a Rule of Four where he is. Within that framework you have the latitude to choose whoever you want for any reason. But to ignore test scores beyond that defeats the purpose of civil service, which is not only to hire the best qualified candidate, but to keep from making your agency political by only giving jobs to those who contributed to the Mayor's election campaign.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3645 users online. 180 members and 3465 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X