Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question that needs answer.

Hello everyone.

First off, a little about me. I am 25, working part time as a Security Officer, and am going to be going back to school in the fall for my Bachelors Degree.

I have a question that I was hoping someone could answer for me. Forgive me if I am not allowed to post here, but I am in need of some answers.

In the past, I have been fired from 6 jobs, however, since earning my security guard registration in 2008, I have held steady work.

I was wondering if my past employment history will effect my chances in working in LE or forensic sciences.

Thank you for your time.
    Bruce B.
    Security Officer/EMT
    California

"What about pepper? It comes in spray now? Awesome! - J. Willis

yes. It probably will.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Would you hire someone that was fired from six jobs over someone that had never been fired from a job? I've always been asked, "Have you been fired or forced to resign from any previous positions?"

Comment

How long have you held this six jobs? What were you fired for? How was your performance/work ethic at those previous jobs?

Questions like these will be asked and you will need to address them. Yes this will play a factor in your process to get hired.

Comment

Basically 6 months to a year in each position, one however, was a 3 month gig. I still have a few years ahead of me in school and I hope I can boost my chances somehow of getting into the LE field.
          Bruce B.
          Security Officer/EMT
          California

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Smith View Post
            Would you hire someone that was fired from six jobs over someone that had never been fired from a job? I've always been asked, "Have you been fired or forced to resign from any previous positions?"
            No I wouldn't, but I shall say I was young and dumb as well. However I have learned from my past mistakes and hope by being honest when it eventually comes time to apply for a position, that it will benefit me.
            Bruce B.
            Security Officer/EMT
            California

Comment

Bruce, Being fired from six jobs is going to raise more than just an eyebrow. Most Departments are very interested in solid work histories. You don't go into any detail as to why you were terminated, and I don't blame you on a public forum. In any future LE applications, you'll have to list the jobs you held and why you were let go. Quite frankly, it's going to be a problem for you. Presently, LE agencies are blessed with very high quality candidates, and ones who don't bring too many issues into the process. You're going to have to work very hard at building a solid work history. This process will take several years, I'd say a minimum of three, but probably more like five years for starters. Only then should you attempt to apply. Currently, you're simply not a viable candidate. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

Thanks Philip,

I was thinking the exact same thing, that is why I am going to obtain my bachelors degree, and build a solid work history before considering submitting applications.

Also thank you everyone else for your replies.
                Last edited by Bruce B; 03-17-2010, 03:24 PM.
                Bruce B.
                Security Officer/EMT
                California

Comment

What were you fired from the jobs for? Was it relatively the same circumstances for each job for example; late for work, theft, laziness etc.

Comment

Never been late, or stolen anything. Just didn't agree with certain people and unfortunately I was stupid enough to voice my opinions.

Yes, I have since learned from my mistakes.

Originally posted by bobbyvegas View Post
                    What were you fired from the jobs for? Was it relatively the same circumstances for each job for example; late for work, theft, laziness etc.
                    Last edited by Bruce B; 03-18-2010, 09:49 PM.
                    Bruce B.
                    Security Officer/EMT
                    California

Comment

Ok how many jobs have you had since you were 16?

Comment

Below are some of the minimum requirements for employment with my agency. .

All candidates for, appointees to, and employees shall possess the general qualifications of integrity, honesty, sobriety, dependability, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, courtesy, ability to work cooperatively with others, willingness and ability to assume the responsibilities and to conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment, and a state of health, consistent with the ability to perform the assigned duties of the class. Where the position requires the driving of an automobile, the employee must have a valid state driver's license, a good driving record and is expected to drive the car safely. The foregoing general qualifications shall be deemed to be a part of the personal characteristics of the minimum qualifications of each class specification and need not be specifically set forth therein. The board may prescribe alternative or additional qualifications for individual classes and such shall be made a part of the class specifications.

If your personal history (and particularly your work history) indicated that you lacked any of these qualities, you were an auto DQ on the background.

While these are the standards for my agency, they are fairly universal for most law enforcement agencies (although they may be written in different terms). You will need to establish a consistent three to five year history showing that you are no longer lack any of these personal characteristics if you want to pass the background .
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Didn't start working till I was 19, and have had 6. I'm 26 now.

Originally posted by bobbyvegas View Post
                          Ok how many jobs have you had since you were 16?
                          Last edited by Bruce B; 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM.
                          Bruce B.
                          Security Officer/EMT
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                            ... You will need to establish a consistent three to five year history showing that you are no longer lack any of these personal characteristics if you want to pass the background...
                            I plan on doing that exactly, I am not in any big hurry at the moment, as I am planning on obtaining my bachelors degree prior to submitting applications.
                            Last edited by Bruce B; 03-19-2010, 03:43 AM.
                            Bruce B.
                            Security Officer/EMT
                            California

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
                              I was thinking the exact same thing, that is why I am going to obtain my bachelors degree, and build a solid work history before considering submitting applications.
                              That's probably your best bet. Stick with the same company for a few years, get a degree, and apply at that time when you have a few years of demonstrated responsible work ethic.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9340 users online. 322 members and 9018 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X