• Show
Clear All

• KS1911 Five O
    replied
    Go for the education and see what it brings you. Good luck Caiman

Leave a comment:

• Caiman
    replied
    Words of encouragement guys and I appreciate it a lot! I'm still dancing around the MBA idea so hopefully 2010 will bring good news.

Leave a comment:

• barkalot
    replied
    If you can get a Masters in something that would benefit you either way, that's what I would do. There are accredited courses available through many colleges completely online and mostly at your own pace.

Something like an MBA in management or public administration is what I would do.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Peebody
    replied
    i worked my butt off taking tests and processing w/ little positive feedback.....then all of a sudden, nysp was knocking and at the same time nys court officers gave me an offer, and i was told i could reapply for nypd (health issue in my early 20's dq'd me)

just keep taking tests

Leave a comment:

• KS1911 Five O
    replied
    You just gotta give it time. I came from a family of law enforcement and could not wait to wear the badge, I got hired just after my 21st birthday.

In my opinion being a cop is just a job. If I could find another job to pay more than I would do it. Around here it pays good and with great benefits- family health insurance is free. Other than that you can wear a gun in more places the general law abiding public with ccw's can't. Also job security is there in this day and age when most jobs don't have that. Thats the plus in being a cop.

The downfalls- you can get sued, fired and a bunch of other stuff for not nessarliy doing anything wrong. A guy I work with had a racial profiling complaint against him got verified through the state and now it's on his record for good. The agency did not back him up in any reguard. If someone does not care for you on a traffic stop they file a complaint in which they make stuff up and god only hopes there is video and audio that does not get lost to benefit you, the agency backs them up first and your left hanging out to dry. I work my tour (shift) and when I'm off, I am just a armed citizen who is patriotic and prepared for anything. It only took five years to change my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Caiman
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
    Does your DQ stem from something serious? If so then maybe you have a problem that needs to be examined more closely.
    No it was the run that DQ'd me. I knew going in I needed to work on getting my time down but I didn't push as hard as I thought I did that day.

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied
    Does your DQ stem from something serious? If so then maybe you have a problem that needs to be examined more closely.

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Hang in there..your day will come.

Leave a comment:

• Mstangfk
    replied
    Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
    Also knowing people really helps. You have no idea how much can be acomplished through social networking.
    thats the dang truth, in alot of business's even if you just know one person, that may make the sufferance.

not what you know but who

Leave a comment:

• NHNSP_ADMIN
    replied
    Also knowing people really helps. You have no idea how much can be acomplished through social networking.

Leave a comment:

• Caiman
    replied
    I'm definitely pushing forward and won't stop till I wear the badge. I know my story isn't a unique snowflake in this storm of people trying to hired on but this phrase is one I hear often. haha

Originally posted by Jenners View Post
    Have you thought of testing with any other agencies? You said you are going to get to test with whatever agency you are currently trying with until Nov 2010. As in, a year from now. Surely there are other agencies with closer test dates??

I have and I'm keeping my chin up. I've applied to alot of out of state agencies such as Virginia(DQed unfortunitely(sp?)), I am waiting on a call/email to go down to Montgomery County,Maryland to test for the written and physical agility. I did take the Rochester, NY exam and University Police exam. So I'm getting my name out there and hoping for the best.

Leave a comment:

• Jenners
    replied
    Have you thought of testing with any other agencies? You said you are going to get to test with whatever agency you are currently trying with until Nov 2010. As in, a year from now. Surely there are other agencies with closer test dates??

Leave a comment:

• 2wheeldep
    replied
    Once I decided to change careers it took me 6 years to get hired, I went through the hiring freezes of the early 90's. Keep at it and don't give up.

Leave a comment:

• (S)Sgt Elmer
    replied
    Anybody who has gone through more than one process feels like you do at one time or another.

You will notice the folks on here that can't spell to save their lives getting hired, you will see the biggest ****** at the test get hired and fired within six months, you will see constant news stories about a brand new officer doing something insanely stupid, etc, etc.....

All of them will bother you. I would say be patient, though I understand it's pretty much impossible.

So instead I will say this: Press On. There is a mission to complete here, do what you need to do to complete it.

Leave a comment:

• TheKansan
    replied
    Originally posted by Caiman View Post
    This is fustrating beyond belief. It's taking me quite sometime to find my dream job as an LEO. It's getting to the point where I'm looking at other options for careers as luck just isn't on my side. Not sure if it's the testing or not getting a call back from any department I applied to but it's not going so well.

Anyway, I've contemplated going back to school for my masters to maybe move up the corporate ladder for where I work now, but my friends are always telling me, "So and So's son just got accepted to this academy" or "Your cousin just finished the interview process for this police Dept". It's getting to the point where I look at them with a "confused,upset" look on my face.

I have my local county test coming up Nov 2010 so I'm gonna push for high 90's and hopefully land the job I've wanted since I was little.

Anyone else get this phrase alot? I know there are alot of people in a similar situation, not gonna lie, it sucks but I'm holding my head high and hoping for the best.
    Patience. I realized a long time ago that if I was patient, good things would happen for me.

10 years from now, when you are wearing that uniform, you will laugh at this post.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2671 users online. 173 members and 2498 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X