300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jane Smith's sons friend just got accepted into *Enter city/town* PD"

This is fustrating beyond belief. It's taking me quite sometime to find my dream job as an LEO. It's getting to the point where I'm looking at other options for careers as luck just isn't on my side. Not sure if it's the testing or not getting a call back from any department I applied to but it's not going so well.

Anyway, I've contemplated going back to school for my masters to maybe move up the corporate ladder for where I work now, but my friends are always telling me, "So and So's son just got accepted to this academy" or "Your cousin just finished the interview process for this police Dept". It's getting to the point where I look at them with a "confused,upset" look on my face.

I have my local county test coming up Nov 2010 so I'm gonna push for high 90's and hopefully land the job I've wanted since I was little.

Anyone else get this phrase alot? I know there are alot of people in a similar situation, not gonna lie, it sucks but I'm holding my head high and hoping for the best.

Sometimes it's timing - just being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes it's being the only applicant in the pool who had brains and scored high in the testing process. Sometimes it's just saying the right words the oral panel wanted to hear. Sometimes its being the only one who paid enough attention to notice a poorly advertised exam and applied for the position

Years ago I applied for a job that I really didn't care if I got. I already had a job and I think I took the exam just because I was bored and to boost my ego. When I went into the oral, the first question was a no win situation for which there was no right answer. Not really caring if I passed or not, I explained to them why it was a bad question to ask. I told them because there was no right answer, all I could do was explain the thought process I would go through in deciding my course of action. When I was through, they all had this blank look on their faces and I though they were going to bounce me on the oral. Then they told me it was the best answer they heard all day. Out of 1,350 applicants, I came out #3 on the list and that was without Veterans points.

I didn't do anything spectacular. I was just in the right place, at the right time and my I don't give a fu*k attitude happened to strike a positive chord with this particular oral board. Any other oral panel would have probably thrown me out on my ear.

Just keep trying. You will find your place and your time.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Caiman View Post
      This is fustrating beyond belief. It's taking me quite sometime to find my dream job as an LEO. It's getting to the point where I'm looking at other options for careers as luck just isn't on my side. Not sure if it's the testing or not getting a call back from any department I applied to but it's not going so well.

Anyway, I've contemplated going back to school for my masters to maybe move up the corporate ladder for where I work now, but my friends are always telling me, "So and So's son just got accepted to this academy" or "Your cousin just finished the interview process for this police Dept". It's getting to the point where I look at them with a "confused,upset" look on my face.

I have my local county test coming up Nov 2010 so I'm gonna push for high 90's and hopefully land the job I've wanted since I was little.

Anyone else get this phrase alot? I know there are alot of people in a similar situation, not gonna lie, it sucks but I'm holding my head high and hoping for the best.
      Patience. I realized a long time ago that if I was patient, good things would happen for me.

10 years from now, when you are wearing that uniform, you will laugh at this post.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Anybody who has gone through more than one process feels like you do at one time or another.

You will notice the folks on here that can't spell to save their lives getting hired, you will see the biggest ****** at the test get hired and fired within six months, you will see constant news stories about a brand new officer doing something insanely stupid, etc, etc.....

All of them will bother you. I would say be patient, though I understand it's pretty much impossible.

So instead I will say this: Press On. There is a mission to complete here, do what you need to do to complete it.
        For every one hundred men you send us,
        Ten should not even be here.
        Eighty are nothing but targets.
        Nine of them are real fighters;
        We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
        Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
        And he will bring the others back.

Comment

Once I decided to change careers it took me 6 years to get hired, I went through the hiring freezes of the early 90's. Keep at it and don't give up.

Comment

Have you thought of testing with any other agencies? You said you are going to get to test with whatever agency you are currently trying with until Nov 2010. As in, a year from now. Surely there are other agencies with closer test dates??

Comment

I'm definitely pushing forward and won't stop till I wear the badge. I know my story isn't a unique snowflake in this storm of people trying to hired on but this phrase is one I hear often. haha

Originally posted by Jenners View Post
              Have you thought of testing with any other agencies? You said you are going to get to test with whatever agency you are currently trying with until Nov 2010. As in, a year from now. Surely there are other agencies with closer test dates??

I have and I'm keeping my chin up. I've applied to alot of out of state agencies such as Virginia(DQed unfortunitely(sp?)), I am waiting on a call/email to go down to Montgomery County,Maryland to test for the written and physical agility. I did take the Rochester, NY exam and University Police exam. So I'm getting my name out there and hoping for the best.

Comment

Also knowing people really helps. You have no idea how much can be acomplished through social networking.
                The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
                  Also knowing people really helps. You have no idea how much can be acomplished through social networking.
                  thats the dang truth, in alot of business's even if you just know one person, that may make the sufferance.

not what you know but who
                  In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Hang in there..your day will come.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Does your DQ stem from something serious? If so then maybe you have a problem that needs to be examined more closely.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                        Does your DQ stem from something serious? If so then maybe you have a problem that needs to be examined more closely.
                        No it was the run that DQ'd me. I knew going in I needed to work on getting my time down but I didn't push as hard as I thought I did that day.

Comment

You just gotta give it time. I came from a family of law enforcement and could not wait to wear the badge, I got hired just after my 21st birthday.

In my opinion being a cop is just a job. If I could find another job to pay more than I would do it. Around here it pays good and with great benefits- family health insurance is free. Other than that you can wear a gun in more places the general law abiding public with ccw's can't. Also job security is there in this day and age when most jobs don't have that. Thats the plus in being a cop.

The downfalls- you can get sued, fired and a bunch of other stuff for not nessarliy doing anything wrong. A guy I work with had a racial profiling complaint against him got verified through the state and now it's on his record for good. The agency did not back him up in any reguard. If someone does not care for you on a traffic stop they file a complaint in which they make stuff up and god only hopes there is video and audio that does not get lost to benefit you, the agency backs them up first and your left hanging out to dry. I work my tour (shift) and when I'm off, I am just a armed citizen who is patriotic and prepared for anything. It only took five years to change my opinion.
                          I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

i worked my butt off taking tests and processing w/ little positive feedback.....then all of a sudden, nysp was knocking and at the same time nys court officers gave me an offer, and i was told i could reapply for nypd (health issue in my early 20's dq'd me)

just keep taking tests

Comment

If you can get a Masters in something that would benefit you either way, that's what I would do. There are accredited courses available through many colleges completely online and mostly at your own pace.

Something like an MBA in management or public administration is what I would do.
                              Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3006 users online. 203 members and 2803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X