300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College degree choices

I am looking to attend a college in the South West. Southern Nevada or Arizona are very appealing to me. I am unsure of where to go and what type of degree to shoot for, but I have a few things in mind. I was thinking of a degree in criminal justice, however I am hearing mixed things about CJ degrees. I was also looking into a degree in psychology as that may help somewhere down the road, and may look good on an application.

Are there any kind of EMT or basic medical degrees I can obtain? If such a program exists dealing with basic life saving fundamentals and care. Spanish is off my list, I can't force myself to learn a foreign language.
    "By eating a misdemeanor, you just committed a felony."

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

Degrees only really get you a higher starting pay unless it's required, so the specific major is of no real consequence to an employer. I would go with a business degree having a concentration in management. If you aspire to gain rank and run an agency, then this would do good for you. In my opinion, of course.
    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

EMT is a trade school--not a college degree. A BA/BS in Psych isn't going to do a lot for you. You really need a minimum of a master's in that field to get any payback out of it. Paramedic programs run about two years and you can end up with an associate's degree out of it. It would probably be easier to learn Spanish than to learn A&P, meds, etc. If you are going for a four year degree you can spend a year just taking Gen Ed classes, so you still have time to choose a major. It is also not uncommon for people to change majors while they are in college. A lot of officers talk down about CJ degrees because it is a limited use degree. There is some truth to that. I sometimes wish I had majored in something else...something that has more use in the real world. That said, study what you like and you will be okay. Study what you think you have to take and you will be miserable.

Comment

There is pretty much no point in getting a CJ degree. I have never heard of anyone requiring a CJ degree or paying more for one. Many are now requiring a two year degree but they don't really care what it is in. I am in the group of suggesting you get a degree in something else as a fall back. As mentioned above a business degree can certainly help in moving up later.

Comment

Major in something that you are interested in. I say that, because your grades will carry more weight than your specific major. A 3.5 grade point average in information technology will get you a job as a police officer over someone else with a 2.0 in criminal justice.

Comment

100% disagree with you re. GPAs. Almost no one cares about your GPA. The feds and an agency here or there will ask, but that's about it. If you aren't going fed, the number of agencies who care about your GPA is statistically insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jambi88 View Post
              I am looking to attend a college in the South West. Southern Nevada or Arizona are very appealing to me. I am unsure of where to go and what type of degree to shoot for, but I have a few things in mind. I was thinking of a degree in criminal justice, however I am hearing mixed things about CJ degrees. I was also looking into a degree in psychology as that may help somewhere down the road, and may look good on an application.

Are there any kind of EMT or basic medical degrees I can obtain? If such a program exists dealing with basic life saving fundamentals and care. Spanish is off my list, I can't force myself to learn a foreign language.
              What are your academic strengths? If you're good with math, go for a business degree, or maybe even an engineering degree. A business degree would help you in LE, and provide a backup plan in case the LE gig doesn't work out. An engineering degree wouldn't really help you at all in LE, but if you're good enough, you can land some pretty high paying jobs.

Always have a backup plan.

-SC
              Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
              - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
              MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
              Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
              Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
              Various Graduate Credits - UoP
              MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
              DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

I am okay with math but its not one of my strengths. I find anything in the business department to be repulsive so that is off my list. I'm good with engineering, very good with computers software, computer graphics, and computer repair but that is unrelated.

I would like to avoid gen ed if I can.
                "By eating a misdemeanor, you just committed a felony."

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

Comment

Make a list of things that you think you'd like studying in school, and I'll tell you if they'd be a good match for law enforcement.

Does that sound fair?

-SC
                  Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                  - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                  MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                  Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                  Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                  Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                  MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                  DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Originally posted by boomhower1820 View Post
                    There is pretty much no point in getting a CJ degree. I have never heard of anyone requiring a CJ degree or paying more for one. Many are now requiring a two year degree but they don't really care what it is in. I am in the group of suggesting you get a degree in something else as a fall back. As mentioned above a business degree can certainly help in moving up later.
                    I totally agree. My CJ degree is worthless IMO. 99% of LE agencies could care less what your degree is in, and a lot of times (esp Fed LE) they are looking for certain degrees that AREN'T criminal justice (FBI).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4884 users online. 303 members and 4581 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X