Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, another question about having a record. Sorry :)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, another question about having a record. Sorry :)

So.. Everyone with a record asks how hard it is to get a job with a record. My only offense (ever) was a juvenile offense: Possession of a weapon on school campus. A leatherman tool. The only thing that qualified it as a weapon was a 2 inch fold out blade. I went to court, and it was established that I not only had no intent to use it, but I was unknowingly carrying it. It was a tool of my father's, part of his bike kit, in his backpack that I was carrying because a strap broke on my backpack. It was also marked with the name "HOSPISCRIPT." My dad is a hospice nurse.. Now I should have done a better job emptying that backpack, but do you think this one arrest (which will be expunged when I turn 21) will hurt my chances too badly? The officers who arrested me seemed to think so, but I'm not planning on being a memphis cop, I want to be a Philly cop. *SIGH.* What do you think?

Originally posted by still>arookie View Post
    So.. Everyone with a record asks how hard it is to get a job with a record. My only offense (ever) was a juvenile offense: Possession of a weapon on school campus. A leatherman tool. The only thing that qualified it as a weapon was a 2 inch fold out blade. I went to court, and it was established that I not only had no intent to use it, but I was unknowingly carrying it. It was a tool of my father's, part of his bike kit, in his backpack that I was carrying because a strap broke on my backpack. It was also marked with the name "HOSPISCRIPT." My dad is a hospice nurse.. Now I should have done a better job emptying that backpack, but do you think this one arrest (which will be expunged when I turn 21) will hurt my chances too badly? The officers who arrested me seemed to think so, but I'm not planning on being a memphis cop, I want to be a Philly cop. *SIGH.* What do you think?
    Normally I would say that you are screwed(for lack of a better term). However, with a proper explanation who knows. Was this a felony crime in your state or would it be considered a felony in Philadelphia?

Comment

Probably not an auto DQ as age and severity are usually considered; however, it's still up to the agency.

Comment

Just another example of schools going overboard in a situation where any reasonable person would have seen there were no evil intentions. However they have these rules that throw logic and reason to the wind.

Meanwhile, the school shootings, and violent high school gang members continue their reign of terror, completely oblivious to all the new rules.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

A different point of view

In many states, proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction under unless the individual was certified, tried and convicted as an adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer in those states. However, the conduct surrounding the offense is considered as part of the overall background.

If I were doing your background and the police report supported your version exactly as you posted it, this incident alone would not pose a problem for you.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I once again agree with L-1.

I recall as a kid in junior high how we would ride our bikes to school with our rifles and would drop off our guns in the office and after school pick them up and go hunting. In high school, I trapped and would park my truck with boat attached with a shotgun and rifle in the truck in the school parking lot. How times have changed.

And now here is a kid with a Leatherman with a 2 inch knife and racks up charges. Where has common sense gone?

Comment

I would say it really depends on what you were convicted of. If you were convicted of a felony you can't be a cop, ever.

However, if that was just a misdemeanor I'd say it falls under the "tell the truth and don't worry about it" category. I don't think it will hurt you much.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                In many states, proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction under unless the individual was certified, tried and convicted as an adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer in those states. However, the conduct surrounding the offense is considered as part of the overall background.

If I were doing your background and the police report supported your version exactly as you posted it, this incident alone would not pose a problem for you.
                X-2

Comment

+3 for the Lts response.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                    I would say it really depends on what you were convicted of. If you were convicted of a felony you can't be a cop, ever.

However, if that was just a misdemeanor I'd say it falls under the "tell the truth and don't worry about it" category. I don't think it will hurt you much.
                    I agree with Jakflak-no big deal, unless the 3 people sitting on your interview board were an ex-science teacher, a past school board member and the cop who charged you! The trifecta of "DAMN" IT"
                    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
                      I once again agree with L-1.

I recall as a kid in junior high how we would ride our bikes to school with our rifles and would drop off our guns in the office and after school pick them up and go hunting. In high school, I trapped and would park my truck with boat attached with a shotgun and rifle in the truck in the school parking lot. How times have changed.

And now here is a kid with a Leatherman with a 2 inch knife and racks up charges. Where has common sense gone?
                      WOW! Thanks for posting this, sigcopper. I had forgotten about doing almost the SAME THING when I was a young buck. We'd change out of our waders in the parking lot and stow our shotguns under the seats of the car. And the best part? Our Vice Principal would always park next to us, change out of his camo and ask how we did that morning, too!
                      "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

If it happened as reported, it's not a big deal.

Comment

Just tell them what happened and don't lie about it. If it really concerns them, they will go look for the reports and get the truth....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7218 users online. 349 members and 6869 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X