Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board - The Tell Us About Yourself Question

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of preparing for my upcoming oral board. I have been browsing a lot of different websites that gave example questions and one that I seem to be having a little difficulty with is the "Tell us about yourself" question.

What exactly are they looking for? Do I give them more of a bio about myself, who I am, where I'm from, schooling, where I've been, etc. or is it more along the lines of what qualifications I possess specifically to police work? It is such an open ended question and it seems like if you answer it the wrong way, the panel may be disappointed with your response. I just don't want to be completely off from what they were looking for. Does that make sense?

It's simple question and you already answered it yourself. It's your opportunity to sell yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
      It's simple question and you already answered it yourself. It's your opportunity to sell yourself.
      I hate sales, thats why i want to be a cop

Comment

It works best if you smile at the board members and add the line..."I'm known for bestowing lavish gifts and sexual favors to those I feel have really helped me accomplish my goals!"
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I had a little difficulty with those open-ended questions myself, so I can understand where you're coming from.

My, apparently successful, response to that question was to talk about my schooling (college, academy preservice), relating it to my interest in the profession, and then briefly about a hobby or two of mine. Maybe if you've any kids or anything, chat about that as well.
          I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.

Comment

Your own reply is what is asked for. Not what someone here tells you.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

What makes you better than the person that was there before you and the one that comes after? Why should they waste their time and money on you? Out of the 500 people that want the job, what makes you better than the next person?

Just some ideas.. and others in the links below, there is a section on the oral board.
              Police Academy Commander
              Lead Firearms Instructor
              35+ years as a cop
              Becoming a Police Officer
              So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                It works best if you smile at the board members and add the line..."I'm known for bestowing lavish gifts and sexual favors to those I feel have really helped me accomplish my goals!"
                You need another job?
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Tell me about yourself?

You read the threads above and no one tell you the answer you want to hear. How about this for an answer:

To tell you a little about myself, my name is John Doe, and I am 25 years old. I currently reside in the city of Fullerton, and am currently a Junior at Cal State University Fullerton. I am studying Criminal Justice with emphasis in law enforcement and expect to graduate with a B.S. degree in 2012. I am also taking Psychology as a minor.....and currently hold a 3.5 GPA.

Currently I am bi-lingual, and can type 50+ wpm, List your credential as it pertains to law enforcement (ex. CPR, bi-lingual, sign language, computer skills, people skills, martial art, military training (but keep it on the low key law enforcement side; don't get overzealous on how you can build bombs, and/or can shoot any caliber guns, and kill someone from 300 yards away.)

I am very excited about this opportunity that I am given. My goals and dreams have always been to be a Fullerton (your town) police officer/sheriff deputy. Currently I am preparing myself to fulfil my dreams by doing the following:

Education-Summarize your education again
                  Physical - Currently I belong to 24 hour fitness and train 3x a week. I also understand the police/sheriff academy is very tough and currently run 3 to 5 miles every other day, and plan on attending the pre-academy physical agility given by your dept. (If applicaple)

I also understand how hard it is to become a police/sheriff deputy. I am the type person you want on your team and department. I am a hard worker, I am honest, I am punctual, I posses good written and verbal skills, and I am a team player. I don't do drugs, I am financially responsible and I am very, very excited on continuing with the hiring process with the Fullerton Police Dept.

Simple, conscise and you've sold yourself.

Not like all the B.S. threads that answer above......because none of those people, answered your questions. They answered with a question, to a question. Why? because they didn't take the time to elaborate.........they know the answer, but it's easier to write.........a short response.
                  Last edited by wayno1806; 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot some points
                  Good Luck and Test Well!
                  Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                  6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Originally posted by wayno1806 View Post
                    You read the threads above and no one tell you the answer you want to hear. How about this for an answer:

To tell you a little about myself, my name is John Doe, and I am 25 years old. I currently reside in the city of Fullerton, and am currently a Junior at Cal State University Fullerton. I am studying Criminal Justice with emphasis in law enforcement and expect to graduate with a B.S. degree in 2012. I am also taking Psychology as a minor.....and currently hold a 3.5 GPA.

Currently I am bi-lingual, and can type 50+ wpm, List your credential as it pertains to law enforcement (ex. CPR, bi-lingual, sign language, computer skills, people skills, martial art, military training (but keep it on the low key law enforcement side; don't get overzealous on how you can build bombs, and/or can shoot any caliber guns, and kill someone from 300 yards away.)

I am very excited about this opportunity that I am given. My goals and dreams have always been to be a Fullerton (your town) police officer/sheriff deputy. Currently I am preparing myself to fulfil my dreams by doing the following:

Education-Summarize your education again
                    Physical - Currently I belong to 24 hour fitness and train 3x a week. I also understand the police/sheriff academy is very tough and currently run 3 to 5 miles every other day, and plan on attending the pre-academy physical agility given by your dept. (If applicaple)

I also understand how hard it is to become a police/sheriff deputy. I am the type person you want on your team and department. I am a hard worker, I am honest, I am punctual, I posses good written and verbal skills, and I am a team player. I don't do drugs, I am financially responsible and I am very, very excited on continuing with the hiring process with the Fullerton Police Dept.

Simple, conscise and you've sold yourself.

Not like all the B.S. threads that answer above......because none of those people, answered your questions. They answered with a question, to a question. Why? because they didn't take the time to elaborate.........they know the answer, but it's easier to write.........a short response.
                    +10! Good on you! some people on here are so full of themselves that they wont even given a simple answer. i guess some people forget what its like to be going into their first interview or being the new guy. thats sad. i wonder how they act when a rookie at their department ask them a question, hope he doesnt get the same answers that are on here.
                    I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

Nice deflection. I am glad you know what i do for a living because you read it on my profile.
                      Last edited by Glory Days; 11-15-2009, 12:20 AM.
                      I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6045 users online. 348 members and 5697 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X