Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misdemeanor's and various states

Thank you all for your previous advice.
    I passed everything, and but before sending me to the med/academy they have one question.

Nearly ten years ago I had a friend steal my checkbook. They wrote three checks, under 50 dollars. They also stole my live in bf's credit card.

Now, this is a friend of mine, and she ended up going to prison on check felon charges. At the time I pled guilty and just paid them off. Since I pled guilty ages ago I simply continued to eat it, took full responsibility.

The checks were in AL- I can't find the classes, (A,B,C). I don't know if it's varied by amount of check.

In TX, where I am now, class A dq's a person.

I'm sick about it all, thinking something so long ago will disbar me.
    Do all agencies turn away class A? Even so long ago with no other reoccurred offense?

Originally posted by Someonelkme View Post
    I passed everything, and but before sending me to the med/academy they have one question.

Nearly ten years ago I had a friend steal my checkbook. They wrote three checks, under 50 dollars. They also stole my live in bf's credit card.

Now, this is a friend of mine, and she ended up going to prison on check felon charges. At the time I pled guilty and just paid them off. Since I pled guilty ages ago I simply continued to eat it, took full responsibility.

The checks were in AL- I can't find the classes, (A,B,C). I don't know if it's varied by amount of check.

Do all agencies turn away class A? Even so long ago with no other reoccurred offense?
    I'm kind of confused. If your "friend" stole some checks and spent some time in prison how did you plead guilty to something?

This will be easier if you just use "friend" or just use "I".

Departments will vary on who they accept with what kind of criminal history, and what they will or will not forgive.

Comment

I didn't press charges on the checks against my account. I ate them.

She had several other felony charges, and my BF pressed charges against the stolen CC.

She was hooked on K-4, and a friend from High school. At the time I thought why make it worse and just paid them off instead of pressing charges.

Comment

I was a little confused by your original post as well. The situation as you describe it, shouldn't be a bar to employment. That said, I'm not making the hiring calls at the agency you applied to. A simple explanation of the situation should be sufficient, provided there was no criminal activity on your part. Your making the checks good does not equal criminal activity. It shows a good deal of personal responsibility.

Comment

Section 13A-9-13.1
          Negotiating worthless negotiable instrument - Generally.
          (a) A person commits the crime of negotiating a worthless negotiable instrument if the person negotiates or delivers a negotiable instrument for a thing of value and with the intent, knowledge, or expectation that it will not be honored by the drawee.

(b) For the purposes of this section, it is prima facie evidence that the maker or drawer intended, knew, or expected that the instrument would not be honored in any of the following instances:

(1) The maker or drawer had no account with the drawee at the time the negotiable instrument was negotiated or delivered, as determined according to Section 7-3-503(2).

(2) Payment was refused by the drawee for lack of funds, upon presentation within 30 days after delivery, and the maker or drawer shall not have paid the holder thereof the amount due thereon, together with a service charge of not more than (fill in appropriate amount as provided by law), within 10 days after receiving written notice from the holder of the instrument that payment was refused upon the instrument, as provided in Section 13A-9-13.2.

(3) Notice that payment was refused is mailed by certified or registered mail and is returned undelivered to the sender, when the notice is mailed within a reasonable time after dishonor to the address printed on the instrument or given by the maker or drawer at the time of issuance of the instrument.

(c) Negotiating a worthless negotiable instrument is a Class A misdemeanor.

I think this answers your question about the class of the offense...

Good luck, be sure to explain the circumstances.
          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Oneoldcop, thank you..

That's exactly what is bugging me. The police force here in TX is saying it's class B, one particular person is fighting it saying it's class A.

I don't know what recourse I have since I did just enter a plea and pay them off.

I really don't know how to handle this if it prevents me from police work. I was planning on military re-entry once my children were old enough but the military states I'm too old now. ..police work was sort of my fall back to keep me in the field..

I don't want to work any other field. I'll be crushed.

Comment

I'm still not sure I understand. If you didn't write the checks, why is it an issue? It sounds like a civil matter. Failing to prosecute does not mean you committed a criminal act.

Comment

I did get arrested. I was living in a different state so never got notice-the checks went to warrant. When a police friend of mine pulled me over, he told me I had warrants. I turned myself in the next day, posted bail, and paid all fines at the day of court.

I didn't write them, but just ate them and paid them in court, for the reason that she (the friend) was already in Julia Tutwiler prison for check forgery, and because I was enlisting in the military-any pending things delayed that. I just wanted to put it behind me.

Comment

Well, just called and checked my own record. They are class "a', dismissed. I asked if I can get it removed and they said no way.
                  I guess I'm just waiting for the rejection now.

Do I need to move on or do I have any hope of being a police officer?

Comment

Have you conducted your BI yet with the agency you applied? Did you list this arrest on your application, etc? Did they ask you about it before and during your polygraph?
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Yes, I did, and that's what confusing. I listed it from the start, and still did the physical, written, BI, Poly, oral- I did it all. And now this.

Comment

Does a class A arrest auto DQ you or does it have to be a class A conviction?

Comment

Why would you plea to somethign you didn't do and something that someone else was in prison for?!!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Someonelkme View Post

Okay, so a friend swiped some checks and went to prison. Even though she was guilty, you said that you bounced the checks, and got charged.

Why would you do something like that?

Ya you're out of luck because you were a moron!

-SC
                            Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                            - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                            MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                            Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                            Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                            Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                            MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                            DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

From looking at Texas' website, it says you are DQd if you have a community supervision history or a conviction history for class A misd. or above, so I would assume that an arrest with a dismissal of charges is not an auto DQ since you were neither convicted nor on supervision.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3000 users online. 159 members and 2841 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X