300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Id like to talk about people

When I was in flight school, we did this portion of training where we fly from place to place with another student. I remember one day I was paired with this guy who was a cop and was leaving the field of LE to fly. When your flying 300 nautical miles in cruise at 135 knots you have a lot of time to talk. I told him about my PC832 training and we were talking about being a cop, and he brought up aspect of becoming "brainwashed" and thinking everyone is a criminal, because that who you associate with day in day out. So when you encounter people outside the job you are just used to thinking they are criminals. Well, actually I brought it up, because when I got out of "academy" I just felt different towards people, almost, prejudiced. He confirmed the feeling and said it was normal. I hope I am being clear here, things like always wanting to see peoples hands, being generally suspicious and not trusting anyone. Is this a real part of the for you? And how do you cope with it? I fully understand being on alert when on patrol or going to a call, but what I am talking about is being able to turn that off at the end of the day, and if you cant, how to deal with it. Do they cover anything close to this in academy?
    Last edited by spooled; 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM.

Originally posted by spooled View Post
    When I was in flight school, we did this portion of training where we fly from place to place with another student. I remember one day I was paired with this guy who was a cop and was leaving the field of LE to fly. When your flying 300 nautical miles in cruise at 135 knots you have a lot of time to talk. I told him about my PC832 training and we were taling about being a cop, and he brought up aspect of becoming "brainwashed" and thinking everyone is a criminal. Well, actually I brought it up, because when I got out of "academy" I just felt different towards people, almost, prejudiced. He confirmed the feeling and said it was normal. I hope I am being clear here, things like always wanting to see peoples hands, being generally suspicious and not trusting anyone. Is this a real part of the for you? And how do you cope with it? I fully understand being on alert when on patrol or going to a call, but what I am talking about is being able to turn that off at the end of the day, and if you cant how to deal with it.
    Uh... What?

-SC
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

I tried twice, SC.

He's a student, but he's graduated from some academy that made him suspicious. He was flying with a former Officer in there somewhere. I dunno.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Damn. Really? that bad?

Comment

My brain hurts...
          We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

I'm going to try this again...as for being suspicious of people; once you've "seen" the truth, you can't unsee it. Once you know how people really are, you don't forget it and you'd be a fool to. But, it's your life, I won't feel a thing.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Nope, all the bad you see in people from day to day, you also see the good in people day to day to either offset/or reaffirm your beliefs. Do I look at people different when I am off work and they are non-threatening...no. Did I...yes, when I was brand new. I still am new but we don't walk around off-duty with a mission and think that everyone we meet is an a**h*** that beats his wife...we can tell at first glance sometimes. However, if you go around with the notion that everyone is bad then you are going to be
              e one: sad, alone, miserable person. Unclog your panties and give people the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

I think I see what you're trying to say... No we're not brain washed, but after you've done this job for a certain length of time, you begin to see what people can be capable of. You have to learn how to separate it the possibilities from reality, and not make any assumptions until you get all of the facts.

-SC
                Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Brainwashed? I dunno about that. I don't think everyone is a criminal I come across. Maybe an idiot, but not criminal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3877 users online. 213 members and 3664 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X