300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misdemeanor and record

I asked this somewhere else, but I think this is the correct area for it. I apologize to the admin if he/she finds it disrespectful.

I was in a hit and run a couple years ago, but eventually told authorities. It was a misdemeanor, not a felony. This incident got me interested in law enforcement because the officers handled the situation very well in my opinion. I worked a dismal out with the prosecutor and therefore erased from my record. As cops, can I ask you how "erased" it truly is? How or even should I bring this up in a interview? Will this effect how I should respond to the lie-detector?

My grades in college are great and no other encounters with police.

What kind of misdemeanor? Class A, B, or C?

Regardless, you're disqualified in Texas so change your major.

-SC
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Hit and run: leaving the scene, and you didn't immediately report it to the authorities. Your going to have a tough time. Look at it this way, you dent the patrol car, are you going to not tell anyone and let the next guy who gets in take it out like that? Your answer will be "no, I learned my lesson." However, it is up to the department to believe you on something that you have already attempted to get away with before.

As to your other question, erased, in LE, doesn't mean anything. Your BI WILL find it on your record. Yes, bring it up or else you really will not ever have a chance in LE.

Comment

Your record isn't "erased", that's even after a "dismal" Think the words you're looking for are Expunged and Dismissal. With respect to an "Expungement", they really don't exist in a Police Background Investigation. Leaving th scene of an accident would be a definite eyebrow raiser for me as a Background Investigator. The situation has the potential of being a DQ for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcstudent View Post
          I asked this somewhere else, but I think this is the correct area for it. I apologize to the admin if he/she finds it disrespectful.

I was in a hit and run a couple years ago, but eventually told authorities. It was a misdemeanor, not a felony. This incident got me interested in law enforcement because the officers handled the situation very well in my opinion. I worked a dismal out with the prosecutor and therefore erased from my record. As cops, can I ask you how "erased" it truly is? How or even should I bring this up in a interview? Will this effect how I should respond to the lie-detector?

My grades in college are great and no other encounters with police.
          You destroyed someone's property, ran away, then reported it. Doesn't sound very responsible or someone that a LE agency is going to trust with a 25K patrol vehicle, plus thousands in equipment. Then the awesome authority to take away a person's freedom. If you can't manage to report a simple traffic accident how can we trust you to not violate someone's civil rights?

As far as the record goes it will still be there with a note that it was dismissed. So if you get asked about it don't try to cover it up. Lying will **** you over fast.

Don't try to figure out ways to beat a lie detector. All the questions on a lie detector are discussed before the test and so are your answers. There are no surprise questions or tricks.

Comment

I am not trying to find a way to beat the lie detector. I simply asked what should I say because I have heard they ask you "Have you ever committed a felony?" which I have not.

As for trusting me, it was a simple mistake, there are plenty of cops who have done worse than me when they were KIDS... Its not a matter of trusting me, I a very truthful person, hence why I eventually reported it, most people would not have. Its a mistake, I learn from my mistakes, but a misdemeanor should not disqualify you from what I have investigated.

I was simply asking if they ask me if I committed a felony, should I bring this incident up?

Comment

Leaving the scene of an accident, whether Felony of Misdemeanor, is not a "character trait" that most police depts,want in their applicants, employees or officers.

It is a SERIOUS violation, and not one treated lightly. If hired, every time you are called to testify in a leving the scene case, or any other for that matter , the fact that you left the scene, will likely come up, if the defense lawyer is good, or i should say COULD COME UP.

It is not a FELONY, so not an automatic DQ, but I have to assume that depts, have many other applicants to chose from, who did not leave a crah scene.

If I were the Chief, (and I'm not) I would need a really compelling reason to hire you, over another applicant with the same or similar backgrounds.

I suggest looking elsewhere for a career, but it is possible you could be hired.

Good luck, be safe.
              Last edited by 2971511; 11-07-2009, 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

were you drunk when this occurred?? most are...thats why they run.

Did I catch a "hence" in there? Were you on her before and throw out a "henceforth", but under a different screen name?
                just curious
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I am not trying to find a way to beat the lie detector. I simply asked what should I say because I have heard they ask you "Have you ever committed a felony?" which I have not.

Then, by all means, answer NO! But, when it comes to completing you BI form, be certain to include your error in judgment.

As for trusting me, it was a simple mistake, there are plenty of cops who have done worse than me when they were KIDS...

My young friend, the above statement is totally irresponsible. You don't have personal knowledge of "plenty of cops" and what they did as kids.

Its not a matter of trusting me, I a very truthful person, hence why I eventually reported it, most people would not have. Its a mistake, I learn from my mistakes, but a misdemeanor should not disqualify you from what I have investigated.

It may not disqualify you; but, you must admit that it lends to your personal credibility and judgment. Your mistake was not something that can be reasonably overlooked. You know nothing of the process and are trying to convince us. We are not the ones you have to convince. We do not hold the power of hiring or rejecting you. We are simply espousing information so you are not surprised if the best turns worse.

I was simply asking if they ask me if I committed a felony, should I bring this incident up?

You must certainly list it among your errors on your BI form. You do not have to declare it as a felony.
                  When you post a query in these forums you must be prepared for the truth from those who respond. Whether you like the answer or not is not important to us; but, you should weigh those responses based on the amount of experience we have over that which you have! Like it or not, that is the way it is.

Good luck!
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

As for trusting me, it was a simple mistake, there are plenty of cops who have done worse than me when they were KIDS... Its not a matter of trusting me, I a very truthful person, hence why I eventually reported it, most people would not have. Its a mistake, I learn from my mistakes, but a misdemeanor should not disqualify you from what I have investigated.

This has got to be the most self righteous post I've seen on this forum...

-SC
                    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Okay Pal, it's time to put your big boy britches on, and grow up a little. YOU, asked the question, you recieved honest replies. You don't get to dictate the circumstances or conditions under wich your questions are answered. Deal with what you've been told. It's the truth.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3472 users online. 155 members and 3317 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X