300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ from everywhere?

I have asked a few people on this forum and I am still in limbo as to keep trying or move to the private sector.

Background of the incident:
    I dropped out of college and moved away from my home to help my fiances father with the small family business while his wife battled cancer. About 4 months after she passed away my fiance cheated on me, kicked me out of the house and I left the job. I was promised a partnership in the business as well as a home to live in and a future. I also lost about 10k in wedding deposits of my own money. As a 22 year old I thought my life was over. A month later while getting a few things I had forgotten at his home I saw the home safe open with well over 20k in cash sitting there, and in a moment of complete idiocy I took 3k. That night he called me to ask me about it, I admitted to taking it and apologized, he said it was ok as long as he got everything back. The next morning I drove back to his house and gave him it all back, and nothing came of it.

Fast forward 5 years, no drug usage, no moving violations, good credit, no run ins with police, solid employment with solid professional references. I now work in Loss Prevention with 100% conviction rate on every stop I have made, as well as some serious responsibility with large amounts of cash and information on the company.

I attempted to get a position as a CO but was given a "no thanks and don't ever apply again" from the sheriff's office. Will this one big black mark prevent me from ever being in LE? I am open and honest about this mistake and will field any questions at all if it will help me.

I will be testing for California Highway Patrol in a month, but I don't want to go through the travel and time of testing if when they see this on the background application in 2 months and just say no thanks without even talking to me like the SO did.

How did this come up in an interview? It is going to be an uphill battle. Stealing any amount of money is serious, that amount of money is very serious.
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Comment

Thats just it fuzz. I didnt' even get to an interview. Granted there was 1,700 people for 75 positions, but I may have gone about this whole being upfront thing too much as I put this on the first application they gave out. I understand completely that this could DQ me forever.

I deal with LE every day now with my new job, and I know what could have happened if he decided to call the cops, and I understand how stupid it was. I just hope that I am able to get the chance to prove that the one mistake in my life does not define me as a man.

Comment

I have to ask, why even bring this up? If nothing came of it that is.

Comment

Well going through the process it says to disclose things that may not have been reported. Also if I didn't mention this before hand to a department, I would definitely get dq'ed when they talk to the guy I took it from and he tells them about it.

I am more of a get it all out in the open and deal with it now. I also can't hide the fact that this happened, and I hope it would go towards my character that I have fully disclosed everything in my past, good and bad.

Comment

Originally posted by spooled View Post
            Because every Background/Personal History Statement I have ever seen asks about EVERYTHING in your past. Not only do they ask "have you ever committed any crime which you were not arrested for", they also specificly break it down to individual things (theft being a VERY COMMON one). Maybe... just maybe... if you were a cop, you would know that. Oh... and then you could post in Ask-A-Cop and give everyone your opinion.

Comment

To the OP...

It will bring up some intergrity issues. The fact that you apologized and returned the money certainly doesn't hurt. I don't know if this is a DQ everywhere, but it will be a dq in a lot of places, especially since there are a lot of other applicants who never stole 3K, especially from someone who trusted them. I'm not trying to put you down at all. Just keep applying, and good luck to you.

Comment

AZNewbie, I'm afraid you have a long and difficult road ahead of you.

I don't think many large agencies would waste their time on you, but you should try some small town agencies just in case. I must say that your honesty is more than most in your situation.

-SC
                Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

AZ here is what you face. Large agencies in this economy your chances are slim. Smaller departments you have a good chance since you have no convictions.

Now, you did steal a substantial amount of cash from a person who trusted you. To see it from the agencies perspective (which I am sure you see as well) you took money when no one was around, when this protected area was entrusted to you. How would you handle yourself if you were at a drug house and on a bust, you find 10K in a duffel, no one knows that it is there, you could easily take it and nobody would know, and a druggie isn't going to turn you in.

However, time has past since the incident and you admitted to it. You will be asked this on almost any polygraph test that you take. The answer to whether or not you are hire able is purely subjective and is on an agency by agency basis.

Short answer, you have a shot, but you have a huge battle ahead of you.

Comment

As you can see, the majority of answers you are getting now are very similar to the ones you received when you posted this question previously under the Arizona thread. At this point in time it would be best for you to digest the answers to your question (both under this thread and the Arizona thread), and begin the process of moving on with whatever decision you make.
                    sigpicTwo is one,
                    one is none.

Comment

For sure twoisone. I had been reading through this thread and I wanted to get a opinions of people outside of AZ, since I plan on testing outside of the state as well.

Ill be testing for California Highway Patrol, but to be honest I will probably try and do a military stint and come out either doing LE or working in the private sector. I believe this incident it going to prevent me from doing what I want to right now, so the only thing I can do is work on it. Thanks for the great responses guys and hopefully I'll join the ranks eventually

Comment

Originally posted by AZNewbie View Post
                        For sure twoisone. I had been reading through this thread and I wanted to get a opinions of people outside of AZ, since I plan on testing outside of the state as well.

Ill be testing for California Highway Patrol, but to be honest I will probably try and do a military stint and come out either doing LE or working in the private sector. I believe this incident it going to prevent me from doing what I want to right now, so the only thing I can do is work on it. Thanks for the great responses guys and hopefully I'll join the ranks eventually
                        I am curious why you will be testing with the CHP. Doesn't this statement mean anything to you?

Conduct

No felony convictions and good personal conduct; must possess a California driver license upon appointment to the Academy. The CHP has strict guidelines relating to the personal characteristics required for employment as a law enforcement officer. During the QAP Oral Interview, and later during the Background Investigation, a candidate is evaluated relative to an established set of automatic disqualification criteria. Candidates are asked questions relating to the RECENCY AND FREQUENCY of traffic citations, at-fault automobile collisions, illegal drug usage, arrests and convictions...
                        Theft of the amount of money you admit to removing amounts to a felony in CA.

As I stated earlier, a lot might depend on your state of mind at the time you committed the act. After repeatedly reading through your posts, I am convinced that your intent was to permanently deprive your former fiance's father of his rightful property. That, sir, is a felony! It lends support that your integrity is tainted and in question.

I would suggest you save the money it would cost you to travel to CA for the test and seek an alternative occupation. You stated you have an interest in the military and that may be a great place to start.

Good luck to you!
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

AZnewbie, you face one of the bigger challenges I've seen on these boards.

As has been said, hundreds apply for few spots. The idea is to stand out, positively, among the rest...then not stand out, negatively, in the same pool. I have spent a few hours with recovering addicts who say they have changed and want to be cops now. Their past hard drug usage doesn't get them through the testing venue doors.

Your taking of the $3K, however brief, will probably keep you out of a large LE agency in both these lean economic times, and quite possibly even in better times. You'll be applying, testing, and processing with people who have never done anything like that.

Life is notoriously unfair. I should have made a higher rank at my previous employer - but I didn't. Perhaps your path, the one where you will do the maximum good for more people and yourself, lies elsewhere.

Get to it, and good luck!
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by spooled View Post
                            Terrible advice!! To the OP. You're going to have a very uphill battle. The theft of $3000 is a felony in most, if not every state. Even though you subsequently made "good" on the theft, the problem is the theft in the first place. Regarding Spool's offering. His question/advice is a total non-starter, and to implement it, would destroy any chance, admitedly slim of your ever being employed as an Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN
                              Though I am not a LEO qualified to answer you can have my $0.02
                              This tells me more about you as a person.
                              As long as a BI would be able to verify this, polygraph, speaking to him, etc
                              then I would imagine you would be fine. again just my $0.02
                              this is why the forum is called ask a cop....because the answer you have provided is dead wrong and your two cents arent worth half a penny !!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 370 members and 5749 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X