300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding filling a late tax return.

So here is my problem. I recently applied to my local PD and promptly received a DQ. I called and spoke with an investigator and was told that I had committed a felony by failing to file my 2005 return on time. I was then told no PD in the state of Texas will take me now, sorry your dreams are crushed thank you have a nice day basically. Upon calling the IRS and speaking with a tax attorney I am told this is not a felony and at worst possibly a misdemeanor. I did not owe taxes instead I received a return and there were no penalties on the account.

I am not going to give up on what Ive wanted to do since I was 5yrs old, this is my dream carrier! What should I do as my next course of action do I have any ground to stand on here? I just need advice on the situation in general. Thank you for your time and I appreciate any responses!
    Last edited by DevildDogz26; 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM.

Originally posted by DevildDogz26 View Post
    So here is my problem. I recently applied to my local PD and promptly received a DQ. I called and spoke with an investigator and was told that I had committed a felony by failing to file my 2005 return on time. I was then told no PD in the state of Texas will take me now, sorry your dreams are crushed thank you have a nice day basically. Upon calling the IRS and speaking with a tax attorney I am told this is not a felony and at worst possibly a misdemeanor. I did not owe taxes instead I received a return and there were no penalties on the account.

I am not going to give up on what Ive wanted to do since I was 5yrs old, this is my dream carrier! What should I do as my next course of action do I have any ground to stand on here? I just need advice on the situation in general. Thank you for your time and I appreciate any responses!
    Was not filing on time intentional? How late is "not on time"? Even if it is a misdemeanor then you could still get DQ'd.

Keep appying to other departments, don't let one department persuade you to not apply to other departments.

Comment

How late are we talking about here?.....it usually only becomes a criminal offense if you REFUSE to file, after being contacted by the IRS.....
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

The late filing was unintentional, and I filed it almost a year later. I will keep trying.

Comment

The late filing was unintentional, and I filed it almost a year later. I will keep trying.
          You're going to have a large obstacle to overcome. A few months is one thing, a year is another story. Why didn't you pay? Most of this comes down to intent.

-SC
          Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
          - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
          MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
          Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
          Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
          Various Graduate Credits - UoP
          MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
          DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

I didn't have to pay anything I just had to file the return.

Comment

Okay, so why did you not file a return for a year?

-SC
              Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
              - G. M. Trevelyan

DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Honestly I just procrastinated and forgot about it. I was working 2 jobs taking 15hrs of classes at the time. The sad thing is all my return were fine and filed and since then all of them have been filed on time.

Comment

None of my business really, but why didn't you file on time? If , for some reason you couldn't file on time, why didn't you file for an extension? These are a couple of questions a Background Investigator might wonder about.

Comment

Honestly I just procrastinated and forgot about it. I was working 2 jobs taking 15hrs of classes at the time. The sad thing is all my return were fine and filed and since then all of them have been filed on time.
                    It takes me a half hour to do my taxes with turbotax. I have brokerage accounts, real estate properties, and a lot of deductions.

Your excuse doesn't cut it, and I'm afraid you're screwed.

-SC
                    - G. M. Trevelyan

DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

I really am not sure how to respond to this, this is what I keep encountering is apathy to the situation and not even a drop of understanding. I am told I committed a felony when I didn't how is this ok? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I know it doesn't take more that 20 minutes to file with turbo tax that's what Ive used since then. I understand it was stupid but whats the difference between an excuse and a reason? I previously spoke with an investigator and was told this wasn't a problem and now its blossomed into life changing problem.
                      Last edited by DevildDogz26; 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I really am not sure how to respond to this. I am told I committed a felony when I didn't how is this ok?
                        Ignorance is not a defense.

-SC
                        - G. M. Trevelyan

DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Contact TCLEOS or whatever it is down there and ask them directly.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                            Ignorance is not a defense.

-SC
                            The problem is it isn't a FELONY!

Comment

The problem is it isn't a FELONY!
                              Settle down. It's a federal crime genius. Also if it isn't a FELONY it would likely be a CLASS A MISDEMEANOR which will still PERMANENTLY disqualify you from being a police officer in the State of Texas.

You were lazy, and screwed up. Deal with it.

-SC
                              - G. M. Trevelyan

DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5418 users online. 324 members and 5094 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X