Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I am calm, I spoke with the IRS and Tax attorney both confirmed that it could be considered a misdemeanor but only vaguely.
    I am here trying to deal with it by getting info I need the truth I do not need it served to me heavy handedly and I do not need apathy to my situation it does me no good whether I am screwed or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DevildDogz26 View Post
      Ok I am calm, I spoke with the IRS and Tax attorney both confirmed that it could be considered a misdemeanor but only vaguely.
      I am here trying to deal with it by getting info I need the truth I do not need it served to me heavy handedly and I do not need apathy to my situation it does me no good whether I am screwed or not.
      When you say it's considered a misdemeanor, what kind? Class A, B, or C? It really does matter, as a Class A is a permanent DQ for the State of Texas. A Class B will DQ you for 5 years, and a Class C will DQ you depending on the crime.

Departments can be somewhat heavy handed on tax returns, and because you filed a year late, you're going to have some problems getting a LE gig.

-SC
      Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
      - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
      MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
      Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
      Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
      Various Graduate Credits - UoP
      MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
      DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

The penalty for failing to file a fed tax return is up to $25,000 fine and a year in jail.

I spoke with the IRS and Tax attorney both confirmed that it could be considered a misdemeanor but only vaguely.
        There is no "vaguely". The statutes are either felony or misdemeanor. No statute is written "vaguely misdemeanor" or "could be felony".

Life is full of choices. Choices have consequences. We all live and die by the choices we make.
        183 FBINA

Comment

Well ok then, that's very unfounded but whatever. I took my polygraph I passed I haven't lied once to this department Ive been nothing put truthful. You do not have all the facts please do not call me a liar. I came here for guidance not accusation. I spoke with the IRS since I was owed a refund and did not have to pay I did nothing wrong in there eyes. We are talking a about a return not paying taxes I have been assured what I did was not Felony Tax evasion.

Comment

You asked the question and you've been given honest answers. However, since the answers aren't the ones you wanted now you want to throw it back on those who gave you truthful answers.
            Sorry if you don't like the answers. Everyone has been straight up with you. You're the one who is failing to take responsibility for your actions. If you want someone to hold your hand tell you what you want to hear then go talk to momma.
            183 FBINA

Comment

Well ok then, that's very unfounded but whatever. I took my polygraph I passed I haven't lied once to this department Ive been nothing put truthful. You do not have all the facts please do not call me a liar. I came here for guidance not accusation. I spoke with the IRS since I was owed a refund and did not have to pay I did nothing wrong in there eyes. We are talking a about a return not paying taxes I have been assured what I did was not Felony Tax evasion.
              So what exactly are we missing from your story that should be added? Which part of "INTEGRITY issue" are you not comprehending?

Comment

Second time today I've done this. Here we go again. You don't get to dictate the circumstances under which your questions are answered. There is also no guarantee you'll like the answers you recieve. What you'll recieve, and what you have recieved, are honest replies. Don't like them? Too bad. There is no such thing as a "vague" misdemeanor, nor is there a "vague" felony. If there is a criminal penalty attached to failure to perfom a duty(In this case file a tax return within the required time) then, that failure could be a bar to employment as a Law Enforcement Officer. At the end of the day, it matters little what your Attorney thinks, it really matters little what you think. What does matter is an individual department's view of your situation. Deal with that, as that's the reality of your situation.

Comment

Contact Al Sharpton he should be able to give you directions.

Comment

While missing the filing of a return is not a good thing, I'm going to have to divert from the other "I've never made a mistake in my life" crowd and concur missing one year's filing should not be considered an automatic DQ in and of itself. At the same time any agency deciding do DQ based soley on such a matter is well within their right to do so.

Quite frankly, unless you pointed it out yourself during the application process, I'm a bit surprised it came up unless you were criminally charged with it. Maybe I'm being naive or maybe there's more to the story. In any event, I'm of the opinion (and it's just my opinion) if you are qualified in every other aspect, one year's tax faux pas, while detrimental, should not in and of itself be an automatic DQ. Particularly since there was (reportedly) no money owed and (presumably) the amounts in question were not large.

Wasn't a roadblock for this guy:
                    sigpic
                    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                      While missing the filing of a return is not a good thing, I'm going to have to divert from the other "I've never made a mistake in my life" crowd and concur missing one year's filing should not be considered an automatic DQ in and of itself. At the same time any agency deciding do DQ based soley on such a matter is well within their right to do so.

Quite frankly, unless you pointed it out yourself during the application process, I'm a bit surprised it came up unless you were criminally charged with it. Maybe I'm being naive or maybe there's more to the story. In any event, I'm of the opinion (and it's just my opinion) if you are qualified in every other aspect, one year's tax faux pas, while detrimental, should not in and of itself be an automatic DQ. Particularly since there was (reportedly) no money owed and (presumably) the amounts in question were not large.

Wasn't a roadblock for this guy:
                      I don't recall any of the replies implying that "I never made a mistake". The replies the OP has recieved are all valid, including yours. You could be very correct concerning the OP's situation. What you're not correct in, is your slant concerning your colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        I don't recall any of the replies implying that "I never made a mistake". The replies the OP has recieved are all valid, including yours. You could be very correct concerning the OP's situation. What you're not correct in, is your slant concerning your colleagues.
                        Didn't mean it to be a 'slant'. If taken that way I apologize. My sarcasm may have been a bit over the top. Folks on this site should be used to it as most participate. The OP posed however (IMO), a sincere concern regarding confusion about a tax issue DQ. Much unlike many of the other squids who come on here asking:

"Will my robbery and distribution of cocaine when I was a juvenile DQ me?"
                        Forgetting or simply not filing a tax return is in fact a serious and stupid thing to do for someone looking toward an LEO career. It's not (again IMO), as delinquent an act as most others we see and should be one that can be overcome. Young people come here to seek honest advice. There were a few comments that primarily sought to criticize.

This kid's only 26yoa. I have a son about that age. If he were to seek out my advice about such a matter, I'd like to think I'd try to be a bit more constructive rather than tell him how much of an idiot he is. Rest assured I'd tell him how idiotic it was to do such a thing but concentrate more on how to best address and correct it. I truly believe the tax issue can be resolved for the OP. If I'm mistaken, oh well.

I must admit I also find it tragically ironic someone with a much more severe tax anomaly (Geithner) can be Secretary of Treasury while what appears to be an otherwise decent young person who effed up one tax return when they were 22 is told they're barred for life from an entry level LE position.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                          We're not the kid's father.
                          Yeah, you're right. Let's just be pr**ks to everybody.
                          Last edited by KapsFB; 11-03-2009, 08:37 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3970 users online. 300 members and 3670 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X