Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a right answer?????

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
    Last edited by _GLOCK_; 06-01-2012, 11:01 AM.

In my opinion, you answered correctly. Being a Police Officer isn't like being in the military. Yes, we are expected to obey orders, but only to a certain extent. It's the same as if your Lt. ordered you to go out and shoot a random person. Yes if you did so, you would be "following orders", but you would still go to prison. In regards to policy and procedure, if your commanding officer orders you to say...go serve a warrant, or run traffic for the next couple of hours, or go home early, that is under his purview. He can't order you do to something morally wrong or illegal. As Police, we aren't supposed to be mindless drones. We have to make split second decisions on our own, and use our discretion in performing our duties. This question was to see if you would cave and let the Lt. make you perform an illegal or immoral action and fall back on the excuse of "I was just following orders."

You answered correctly, IMO, and I hope things go well for ya with the process
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by _GLOCK_ View Post
      I had my oral board today, I feel like I did well, I do not get real nervous, stutter etc. However, I may have tripped on one question.

Question: The lieutenant gives you the keys to the Chief’s office and tells you to download some files from his computer, what do you do?

I said “No”, and then they said “Ok”, you are going to disobey an order. I said “No”, not necessarily, if going into the Chief’s office to get stuff is normal, “Yes I would”, but if it feels weird, I would say “No”. Now, much bantering went on before we got to this conclusion, meaning I do not remeber the exact conversation while getting to this conclusion.

They kept hammering "Are you going to disobey a direct order from the Lieutenant. Again, I finally relayed to them the “Yes”; I would if the situation felt unusual.

Then they said ok, in the Marines, your ordered to do the same, would you do it. I said “Yes.” Then I thought for a second, and said well in the Marines I would follow the order, and if the say Sergeant Major had problem and asked why I was in his office, I would simply state I was following orders. Then I said the same might apply to this situation.

My thinking is the answer to this question Yes or No, no right or wrong answer.

Say I said yes right away do you think they would have gone this way with it and said, "Oh so you think it is ok to go into the chief’s office and download files”.

I feel like I wanted them to know I can take orders at the drop of a hat, but at the same time, I am not a robot. What do you ladies and gentlemen think? [/B]
      I would have to say that you were up against a tough interview question, but while you did show respect for authority and rank, you also questioned the legitimacy of the order which IMO was a legitimate reaction under the hypothetical circumstances. It seemed quite reasonable to question the legitimacy of that order and you're are only obligated to follow legal orders. I would have to guess that you did okay because you thought it through and maintained respect from a higher rank, but also did not blindly follow what might of clearly been an illegal order. I think they were looking for integrity and flexible thinking combined in this scenario. I doubt that there is a correct answer based on the lack of specific details such as; is this normally permitted by the chief or not. Without that type of specific info it's hard to make a concrete call, but It sounds like you showed good thinking. Good luck! I would have to say that you'll be fine.

Comment

The correct answer in this is NO. If it was legit the LT would have done it himself. Most if not all department SOPs state that you can disobey a direct order if it is an unlawful order. However, our SOP states that if you disobey a order that you think is unlawful and it turns out to be legit, then you're in deep do-do.

They were trying to get you to change your answer. it is a common tactic on the oral board. Never change your answer, it shows weakness in that you are not confident enough to make your own decisions. Confidence, as I'm sure you know is paramount in LE.

Comment

I'd tell 'em I didn't know how to download the files, but if he wanted to show me, I would try to remember it for the future.

Comment

In this scenario, would it be OK to question the LT's motive? "Sir, what specifically am I looking for and why?" Also, would asking the LT for the Chief's prior permission be deemed disrespectful to the LT? How about CYA and asking the Chief for permission yourself?

Comment

Thanks everybody, I guess I was worried because they really hammered this question hard. I basically stayed with my answer, up until they gave me the Marine senario, which only then did I say well it may apply to this situation.

I remeber I said several times, "If going in the Cheif's office felt fishy I would trust my gut and say no".

Comment

In questions where there is no right/wrong answer (or maybe there is but they don't expect you to know it) they are looking for you to articulate your answer, regardless of what that answer is...and STICK with your answer.

You answered yes to the Marine answer because you're a marine and you follow orders. Simple. You aren't an Officer yet (for one) and secondly, the Marine Corps and LE aren't the same. No, you wouldn't go into the Chief's Office. Even if the Lt. ordered it. No Sir, not even if the Lt ordered it. Why? That's the Chief's office and I don't believe in career suicide. There's NO REASON the Lt. would order you to the Chief's office to do such a thing. Stick with your answer.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  In questions where there is no right/wrong answer (or maybe there is but they don't expect you to know it) they are looking for you to articulate your answer, regardless of what that answer is...and STICK with your answer.

You answered yes to the Marine answer because you're a marine and you follow orders. Simple. You aren't an Officer yet (for one) and secondly, the Marine Corps and LE aren't the same. No, you wouldn't go into the Chief's Office. Even if the Lt. ordered it. No Sir, not even if the Lt ordered it. Why? That's the Chief's office and I don't believe in career suicide. There's NO REASON the Lt. would order you to the Chief's office to do such a thing. Stick with your answer.
                  Thanks, not only to Smurfette, but to everyone. I feel it went well, this was the only question I was nailed on, and from I am getting, I nailed it down!!!

Hopefully the next step comes swiflty.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4423 users online. 309 members and 4114 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X