300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suits and Oral Board

So I've read on many places and it says that I should wear a suit to the oral board. Now here's my dilemma, I have not way of buying or finding a suit. What I do have is a nice pair of black slacks, a really nice striped button, and a tie. It's more of a business casual outfit. So I guess my question is do you HAVE to wear a suit to the oral board, or would it be acceptable to wear a business casual outfit?
    WCSO
    App Submitted - 12/20/08
    P.O.S.T. - 03/19/09 (Passed)
    P.A.T. - 04/29/09 (4:17)
    Panel Interview - 11/02/09

TPD
    P.O.S.T. - 05/02/09

If you dont' wear a suit, you really dont' want the job THAT badly... At least thats what an oral board will see. You want to be a professional, look professional. You can go to a salvation army or goodwill and pick up a used suit for cheap, if you are really that hard up for cash.

Comment

oops posted in wrong section
      Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by JuJuBean View Post
        So I've read on many places and it says that I should wear a suit to the oral board. Now here's my dilemma, I have not way of buying or finding a suit. What I do have is a nice pair of black slacks, a really nice striped button, and a tie. It's more of a business casual outfit. So I guess my question is do you HAVE to wear a suit to the oral board, or would it be acceptable to wear a business casual outfit?
        If you cannot buy a suit, rent one. Your appearance is heavily graded during the oral board.

-SC
        Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
        - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
        MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
        Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
        Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
        Various Graduate Credits - UoP
        MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
        DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

agreed with the above...RENT one
          ..... or check out the local dry cleaners...some have stuff people never pick up and usually after 30 days its now the property of the dry cleaners....maybe they have something in your size you could get cheap.
          ......OR borrow someones suit, (friend, family, etc)
          ......JC Penny has a cheap, (cost wise), formal area...grab a worker and tell them your dilemma...maybe they can assist in making the most cost effective choice.

Good luck
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

OH BTW...If you already have a pair of black slacks, then all you really need is a black jacket, a tie and shirt that goes with it.....................
            See I just cut your cost possibly in half with that idea
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

What's a striped button?

Buy a suit second-hand if you have to. You might get by with dress slacks and a conservative blazer.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

To Code Seven: I "have no way of buying one" because a suit even alterations are more than I can afford. I have two kids that I still need to feed and pay for daycare. I'm getting buy with just the bare minimum. I understand that his sound like another "poor me, pity me, because life is hard. But its not. I just need help, thats all. I appriciate your opinion, and I will put it into consideration.

As far as renting one, I never knew that you could rent one. I'm what you call a difficult size to shop for. I'm too small for mens clothes, and I'm too big to kids. As for as my regular clothes, I rarely buy clothes just that fact that can never find sizes that fit me. I have been to good will and the salvation army and couldnt find one, but I'm still looking. Next stop will definately be J.C. Pennys. Stripped Button-up, sorry I was typing to fast and I didn't re-read what I wrote. Thanks everyone for you help. After work I'm going to go blazer hunting :-D.
                WCSO
                App Submitted - 12/20/08

TPD
                P.O.S.T. - 05/02/09

Comment

Well since you have black pants maybe try a gray sports coat with a tie etc. That would get you by but I still recommend trying to get a suit. Borrow, rent, some stores even have good sales like $100 for a suit which is pretty cheap. I have no clue what it would cost to rent one but if your able to just spend alil extra so you can have the suit for future interviews that would save you in the long run. A buddy of mine I know did not get a job because he did not wear a suit. It was a police panel interview. Just some food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                    How do you go on job interviews if you don't have a suit and have no way of getting one for an hour or two? Or do you only go on interviews in those few areas where it may be the norm to wear business casual?
                    I usually go to interviews wearing my black slacks, a button up, and a tie. I also have a peacoat that I usually wear, and never really had a problem with my interviews. But this is a different kind of interview. I know that they will watch every little thing wrong, and watch my body language, and I relieve my "normal" business attire will not do. But thank you for your concern.
                    WCSO
                    App Submitted - 12/20/08

TPD
                    P.O.S.T. - 05/02/09

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Breed View Post
                      Well since you have black pants maybe try a gray sports coat with a tie etc. That would get you by but I still recommend trying to get a suit. Borrow, rent, some stores even have good sales like $100 for a suit which is pretty cheap. I have no clue what it would cost to rent one but if your able to just spend alil extra so you can have the suit for future interviews that would save you in the long run. A buddy of mine I know did not get a job because he did not wear a suit. It was a police panel interview. Just some food for thought.
                      Thats what I was worrying about. My wife has this idea that I can just go in there wear my usual attire, and I told her that it would not be the best idea. Atleast for a career in LE. Again thank you everyone for your help. I've call local tux rental shops, and mens warehouse, stopped by at goodwill before work, and no luck....yet. I'm going to try some laundromat tomorrow when I get off. I am determined to find one, esspecially if I need to tailor the suit.
                      WCSO
                      App Submitted - 12/20/08

TPD
                      P.O.S.T. - 05/02/09

Comment

Originally posted by JuJuBean View Post
                        Thats what I was worrying about. My wife has this idea that I can just go in there wear my usual attire, and I told her that it would not be the best idea. Atleast for a career in LE. Again thank you everyone for your help. I've call local tux rental shops, and mens warehouse, stopped by at goodwill before work, and no luck....yet. I'm going to try some laundromat tomorrow when I get off. I am determined to find one, esspecially if I need to tailor the suit.
                        The Mens Warehouse House has a return policy, if I'm not mistaken... Go buy the suit, then take it back.

-SC
                        Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                        - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                        MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                        Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                        Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                        Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                        MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                        DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                          Do not wear a tuxedo to your police interview.
                          lol...dont worry. I wasnt intending on wearing a tux.
                          WCSO
                          App Submitted - 12/20/08

TPD
                          P.O.S.T. - 05/02/09

Comment

if a homeless guy can get a suit, so can you...stop making excuses,

beg, borrow, work whatever u have to do..
                            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                              if a homeless guy can get a suit, so can you...stop making excuses,

beg, borrow, work whatever u have to do..
                              I'm sorry. I must be mistaken or something. I asked if it mattered if I wear a suit or not. And everyone said yes it does. And if you have been paying attention, I am trying my best to find a suit. Before you assume that I am making excuses, make sure you read and understand everything that has been written. But thank you for your concern and opinion.
                              WCSO
                              App Submitted - 12/20/08

TPD
                              P.O.S.T. - 05/02/09

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3556 users online. 193 members and 3363 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X