300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Background...

I have no criminal record. My driving record is clean. Never received any tickets from officers. However, my work history is not good. I'm a college student and it wasn't easy to have good time management with this kind of schedule.

So for the past 2 and half years, I worked at around 11-13 different places for various reasons (I wish I was more responsible...and I regret making those decisions now). Is there any chance of passing the background with this issue?

I'm gonna be having my background next month at the LAPD. Does any officers here know if its possible to retake the background after failing?

Thank you.
    Last edited by js1083; 10-22-2009, 02:31 AM. Reason: Grammer

Originally posted by js1083 View Post
    I have no criminal record. My driving record is clean. Never received any tickets from officers. However, my work history is not good. I'm a college student and it wasn't easy to have good time management with this kind of schedule.

So for the past 2 and half years, I worked at around 11-13 different places for various reasons (I wish I was more responsible...and I regret making those decisions now). Is there any chance of passing the background with this issue?

I'm gonna be having my background next month at the LAPD. Does any officers here know if its possible to retake the background after failing?

Thank you.
    Most departments are understanding that college students will have broken work histories, however yours I'm afraid is too unstable.

If they DQ you, you'll probably be given the opportunity to reapply after a certain amount of time. For instances such as yours, my agency will normally bar an applicant for one to two years.

My suggestion to you would be to find a job, and stick to it. Plan to spend at least two to three years at one employer... That should prove to LAPD that you've matured, as well as learned from your mistakes.

Best of luck to you.

-SC
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

College students tend to have pretty spotty work histories, however yours is particularly bad.

Comment

Eleven to thirteen places-two and one half years? I see some problems there. Most Departments are pretty understanding with college/university students who do some job switching. This would include internships as well. Your brief description pushes the envelope considerably. When you complete your PHQ, you have to list each of these jobs, as well as why you left them. You might want to consider building a more substantial employment history prior to applying. If you've already applied, you could consider withdrawing. Based on your post, you're going to need to build a much better work history. You probably already know this, but very much will also depend on the circumstances in which you left each of these jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
          You need to be more specific if you want a helpful answer. What "decisions" do you regret making? And what do you mean when you say your "work history is not good"? You had 11-13 jobs. Were you fired from each one?
          I didn't get fired from any of those jobs. I was either laid off or I quit the job. I really regret not sticking to one job and moving from different jobs to another so many times. Back then, I used to complain about pay and other petty things. Now I realize that I will never be satisfied working at regular 9-5 jobs and will just have to work hard towards reaching my career goal as a Police Officer. I was just not mature enough and did not realize how to be responsible and conduct myself as an adult. I'm 26 now and I finally realize that I cannot continue heading towards this path.

Thank you for the advices guys. I should delay my background for the time being.
          Last edited by js1083; 10-23-2009, 04:56 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

One additional thought. There is no second chance at a Background Investigation with LAPD. That's why I suggested your withdrawing your application, and attempting to build a solid work history.

Comment

^ Really?

Damn, this is gonna be harder then I thought. I'll withdraw for now.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by js1083 View Post

Thank you.
                js:

The number of jobs held in a short period of time is merely an indicator of a problem... IMO, not the problem itself. Would those jobs re-hire you? Were you ever asked to quit in lieu of being fired? Was there an expectation that they were temporary jobs that regularly have high turnover rates - e.g. summer employment while home from school? What will your employment records show about your work ethic/character? What will supervisors say about you?

Short answer - Yes, there is a fair chance of you passing a background even with that many jobs. Particularly if you didn't set a bad impression with those employers and kept good grades at your primary activity (school). However, there is also the realization that you might not have enough stable work history for some agencies to determine if you possess the maturity and work ethic to succeed in law enforcement compared to other applicants.

If you meet the min. qualifications for the job - apply. If you are concerned about your work history, let your BI know and give them a heads up and explain your end of the story. Wouldn't say your situation is an auto-DQ or even entirely uncommon.

Comment

I have had 20 something in the last 9 years. Im a Animal Control Officer now and have been for the last 4 years. Being honest helped me get hired just remember that. But if you are Dq'd try to volunteer at a PD or a Probation department for a year or then try again that little bit of stability will help you more than you know. I would also advise you to listen to the other guys on the forum they will not stir you wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    One additional thought. There is no second chance at a Background Investigation with LAPD. That's why I suggested your withdrawing your application, and attempting to build a solid work history.
                    Sorry to bring up this old thread, but you have the wrong information.

I spoke to the LAPD background dept, and they told me that if you fail the background, there is a choice of either appealing the decision or trying it again in a year.

Comment

Get a job and hold it for as long as you can. You have to prove that you're not going to up and quit when it becomes inconvenient for you. Also if you were fired from these jobs you're going to have a tough time explaining multiple terminations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5351 users online. 308 members and 5043 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X