Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self sponsorship through academy a positive?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self sponsorship through academy a positive?

Can any recruiters on here share some insight as to how well received an applicant who self-sponsored themselves through an academy is? Even if that agency requires that I be re-sent through their academy? Is it a positive for hire, or does it not matter so much?

I do not wish to let the current hiring freezes in Southern CA stop my process of preparing to enter the field of LE. I can sit around and wait... or I can put myself through an academy, gain credit towards my Bachelors in CJ, and be a few steps ahead. If after graduation, nobody is still hiring, I can finish up my Bachelors in CJ.

Thanks for any insight.

I would view it as a positive. It is not going to get you any more points on a test, but it means that you can survive in the academy environment and are smart enough to be able to pass the state certification exam. Even if no one is hiring when you are through, I would think it would put you in a good spot to try and pick up a reserve commission somewhere.

Comment

We've done several discussions on this subject. Self Sponsorship can be a plus if you're applying to a small Department, which doesn't run it's own Academy. In these situations , it can give you an advantage over a non-certified applicant. Obviously, you'll want to be certain that the Academy you attend is POST certified, and carrys proper acceditation. The accreditation issue assumes added importance in the event you later wish to transfer academic credits to another institution. Should you later decide to apply to another agency, LAPD,LASD, CHP. your previous Academy won't really provide you with any particular advantage. You'd still have to test well in all phases of any given hiring process. If you are hired, you'll be required to attend and complete the prescribed Academy. It's possible that you'd attend an "abbreviated" Academy, one for Lateral Transfers. That situation will be governed by individual agency policy. In short, if you plan on applying to a smaller agency, Self sponsorship might be the way to go. Just keep in mind, that it's possible to spend a considerable amount of time and money in Self sponsorship, and have no guarantee of employment when you finish.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6355 users online. 344 members and 6011 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X