Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed up bad at work, would like input

Hey guys

I've been plugging away at my applications for a month or so and have a question that's been bugging me and I was hoping some here could give me some advice.

I've been working at a security company for a few years to put myself through school. In the summer I was asked if I would like a temporary "field supervisor" position which is largely just a glorified mobile patrol job, you get the car and drive from site to site and do a patrol and fill out paperwork. I needed the money so I took it.

I was doing pretty well until the end of the summer. At some point in the night on one shift I had dropped my set of keys to the office in the parking lot and couldn't find them. There was nobody else on shift and my boss wouldn't be avaliable for 2 days so I start panicking.

I called up a guy who used to work for the company and for some reason still had a set of office keys and asked to borrow them, telling him what had happened. I used these keys to get into the office and whatnot in the morning but the lot was full of cars and I couldn't find my keys. I had to be in to work again that night on a solitary shift (ie no other supers or my boss) and the other guy needed the keys back so I took them to walmart and cut myself a new pair until I could figure out what to do.

That was my mistake I know. At this point it looks like I'm trying to cover up and pretend it didnt happen and I'm not going to argue it either way. I know I should have at least left a note in the office explaining what had happened but I was hoping I could get in one more search of the lot for them and them tell my boss what had happened (i knew i was probably going to get canned for it, lol they've caught guys sleeping and drinking on shift and nothing happens to them but she told me straight up losing keys gets people fired) but the guy I borrowed the keys from told her before I got a chance and you can probably fill in the rest

I didn't get fired or anything but there was a lot of "betrayal of trust" and "reliability" thrown around. I'm not going to pretend I made a good, or even justifiable decision. I panicked and did the only thing I could think of in between actually doing my job for the night and I didn't fess up to it immediately as I should have.

Something like this says a bit about integrity and trustworthiness I think although I don't believe it paints a fair picture of me, it happened and I did it nonetheless. What sort of weight do any of you guys believe this will tie around my neck in my applications? It definitely will come up in background I'm sure (it's my only writeup in my file so it's going to be mentioned) and my boss told me that yeah, she's going to mention it when the BIs come calling. Is this the sort of thing that gets you marked "permenantly unsuitable"?

Not sure it's a deal killer but certainly not a positive attribute. Just be up front about the whole thing when/if asked.

Why would you have given the keys back to an ex-employee? That concerns me more when looking at judgement. What's he doing with them and why would you allow him to retain the keys?
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Oh he and the boss were friends (which is how he managed to contact her before I could) and she has him come in now and again to take care of things. He supervises an inhouse security team in town overnight.

Comment

I don't think that's a deal breaker. Just be honest about it.

Comment

Screw up--maybe. Things happen. I don't think it will be a deal killer though. As the forum has said, be honest about it.

Comment

I don't think it is a deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by kalupek View Post
              Oh he and the boss were friends (which is how he managed to contact her before I could) and she has him come in now and again to take care of things. He supervises an inhouse security team in town overnight.
              That 'splains' that then. Bosses knew he had them. Don't sweat it too much. Just be up front whenever asked. Live and learn by this too. If you lose issued equipment, let your bosses know asap. Who hasn't lost stuff?
              sigpic
              Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
              And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

99% of posts with titles like this one are by people who stole from their job and want to be cops. I would say you are WAY ahead of them. Just disclose it and good luck!

Comment

Full disclosure, you will have time to explain in detail to your BI.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                    If I were making the determination, I would say that this incident is a strike against you. Had you not been caught, you would have just continued to use that duplicate set of keys. You only "fessed up" because your supervisor found out through a third party. What does that say about your integrity? Hint: It's not positive.
                    I agree, 2 words: vicarious liability.

Comment

codeseven--if you read his posts, you will see that he answers your questions.

Comment

No I totally understand that it is a poor mark against me, it reflects poorly on my character and integrity (I'm more upset about what I did than the consequences of it because it's largely out of character for me but I guess we're all only human). I'm not too worried about the rest of my background, I'm largely a mature person of character and intergrity. I'm a Big Brother, I volunteer in my community a lot, the rest of my job records are spotless (so far knock on wood lol) which is why I'm concerned about this. I just wanted to know if one might consider it a disqualifier or just something I'll have to explain and not try to hide or squirm my way around and move forward from that.
                        Last edited by kalupek; 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kalupek View Post
                          No I totally understand that it is a poor mark against me, it reflects poorly on my character and integrity (I'm more upset about what I did than the consequences of it because it's largely out of character for me but I guess we're all only human). I'm not too worried about the rest of my background, I'm largely a mature person of character and intergrity. I'm a Big Brother, I volunteer in my community a lot, the rest of my job records are spotless (so far knock on wood lol) which is why I'm concerned about this. I just wanted to know if one might consider it a disqualifier or just something I'll have to explain and not try to hide or squirm my way around and move forward from that.
                          Just remember it is a ding against you, not an end all. Given a chance to explain you have a chance.

Comment

post deleted
                            Last edited by adeutch; 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM.
                            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Mistakes are or can be building blocks if you learn a lesson from the mistake and don't repeat it. You learned a lesson, look ahead not behind. Your mistake showed poor judgment, however it may help you be a better person by not repeating the error. Just my .02
                              Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2506 users online. 170 members and 2336 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X