Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch. Confusing End of the Road

Thanks for all of the feedback
    Last edited by 883 Low; 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM.

Sorry to hear that man. From reading your post you sound as if you have a good a calm demeanor about it. My "question authority" side of me would want to know what was said and who said it that screwed me out of a job. I understand the confidentiality of it, but it is YOUR packet and YOUR history. They should be able to tell ya a little more I would think.

Comment

Most agencies won't release employment reviews or comments. If an investigator wants an honest appraisal of your work ethic then they must assure the employers that the information is confidential so they can speak freely without the fear of retribution. I agree that it's frustrating and upsetting, but it is necessary to keep the real bad guys out. Sometimes it screws over the good guys, I agree. This happened to me in my first attempt to get into LE, but I waited a couple years and applied at a different agency and made it through without issue. Just keep your chin up, stay motivated, and it will all work out for you in the end. Good luck.

PS: Thanks for your maturity in handling this on here. Most people wouldn't have been as tactful.
      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

The two previous replies contain great information. Let me add a thought or two. You're discovering that hiring processes can really be pretty frustrating, and in your case incomprehensible. One of the unfortunate aspects of the process, is the really good candidates we lose in an effort to cull out the really bad ones. All too often, the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. So, at this point you're probably a little angry and possibly discouraged. Won't tell you not to be. But, here is where we often seperate the folks who say they want to be Cops, from the ones who really have the desire to be Cops. Stated another way, don't give up. Re-apply with this agency if possible, and definitely apply with other agencies. Quite often, we get a candidate who fails Backgrounds, and we soon discover why.ie: there were substantial issues which met a Department's criteria for Disqualification. This does not appear to be the case with you. So, once more, keep applying. Don't give up, and, sincerely, Good luck.

Comment

Don't give up. i got rejected 8 times, only made it to the background once, but keep at it.

Comment

Once again PhilipCal has given great advice. Never give up (unless you have been convicted of some sort of a crime that would make it so you couldn't be a cop).

Comment

I was rejected quite a few times myself. I never gave up, and it paid off.
              Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Comment

Comment

In our background packet we ask if other departments have conducted a background on the applicant. I will always contact other departments and request a copy of that background if one was done. Depending on the quality of the background, I may keep it and continue to update it or if I think it is lacking I will add to it by doing more work. In your case, I would have to review it and speak with the investigator to get a true picture as to what was going on.

It could be there was just a huge pool of qualified applicants out there and others were better suited for the department. There are many reasons why you were passed over. You say you are a writer. What is it that you write? Could that have something to do with it?

Comment

Last edited by 883 Low; 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

i wouldent worry about it, hell a well known agency i know of tells everyone they dont want that they failed the written...nice of them huh
                        In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

It's a horrible feeling to have to go through the whole process and then at the last hurdle get dq'd. I don't know what department you were applying to but the reserve academy starts Nov. 3rd...keep trying because there's always next year. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to pm me.

Comment

Last edited by 883 Low; 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I'm going to give you a slightly different answer than most. Your background investigation is public record, an you can make a public records request and obtain all of that.

While some might say "hey that kinda makes employers cringe and they won't be fully honest on backgrounds" but I say the opposite, it will keep employers honset and stop them from giving mad references due to personal beliefs. For the record, an employer who gives bad reviews with no documentation to back it up really opens themself up to legal liability.
                              Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6330 users online. 335 members and 5995 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X