300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you hire me?

Ok, Ive pretty much wanted to be a cop my whole life.. After High school I went to a 4 year university and took alot of general classes and then I planned on joining the academy. I slowly failed out of 4 year then decided to try and get my associates. I spent one semester in a CJ program at a local community college and recieved good grades and really enjoyed what I was doing. During this same time I was making a good amount of money playing poker. I decided to pack up my bags and move to Vegas where I lived for 2 years making a good living. I havent had a "real" job since I was 20 ( i'm 25 now) but I paid taxes on my profession " self employed professional gambler". I recently decided I wanted to rededicate myself to Policing and hopefully make a career out of it. Does this lapse in real jobs and "gambling" for a living going to hurt my efforts of being a LEO? I have good credit, it was really bad when I was in college but I repaired it all ( approching 700) no debt, and a few underage drinking tickets. Thanks for the input.

The only way you'll find out is to apply. I'm reasonably certain not too many agencies get professional gamblers as applicants. Gambling is legal in Nevada, other states now as well, and you paid taxes on your earnings. Go ahead and apply, be honest, see what happens.

Comment

Spending time as a professional gambler wouldn't exclude you from doing police work. That being said you don't have a college degree, and it sounds like you've never held a real job for any significant period of time, which makes your employment history rather weak.

I'd advise you to complete your associates degree and get a 40 hour per week job. Assuming that you keep your grades up, by the time you graduate you will be in a much better position to become a LEO.

Comment

Just how many are a "few underage drinking tickets"? A "few" worries me.

Comment

Ive had 4 underage drinking tickets, havent been in any trouble since I was 20 ( got one udnerage a month before my 21st)

Comment

Ive had 4 underage drinking tickets, havent been in any trouble since I was 20 ( got one udnerage a month before my 21st)

Comment

Those will be a problem because it means you are not learning from your mistakes. Are you drinking in public and walking around with open containers? What were you doing that mad the police zero in on you four times?

Comment

Originally posted by Copfuture102 View Post
                Geez, you might as well had 4 DWI's. Did you not learn from the ticket?
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Those will be a problem because it means you are not learning from your mistakes. Are you drinking in public and walking around with open containers? What were you doing that mad the police zero in on you four times?
                  I was 18-20. We lived in a small town and all everybody did was drink. The cops knew that all everyone did was drink, so they busted up parties alot. Will this be a major detracter in getting a LEO job and should I look to pursue something else?

Comment

I worked in a small town for a few years and not everyone drank. Assuming everyone in town is a drunk and you know the cops are going to show up, why did you keep doing it time after time? Failure to learn from your mistakes. I'm not saying it is an auto DQ; there are just a lot of candidates who don't have to explain why they got arrested for the same violation four times.

Comment

Originally posted by Copfuture102 View Post
                      I was 18-20. We lived in a small town and all everybody did was drink. The cops knew that all everyone did was drink, so they busted up parties alot.
                      That's what you call, good police work and doing thier job. If they are aware of teenagers having parties and drinking, then sure they will probably "bust" your party and cite you. Of course you could have gone out of your "small town" and done your drinking elsewhere, but why do that when you can get 4 citations in a two year period? Hope you haven't moved up the game and drink and drive?
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                        That's what you call, good police work and doing thier job. If they are aware of teenagers having parties and drinking, then sure they will probably "bust" your party and cite you. Of course you could have gone out of your "small town" and done your drinking elsewhere, but why do that when you can get 4 citations in a two year period? Hope you haven't moved up the game and drink and drive?
                        I don't know, if I could know what I was thikning 6-8 years ago I would gladly be able to tell you, all I know is ive been out of trouble since then, never drink, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          I worked in a small town for a few years and not everyone drank. Assuming everyone in town is a drunk and you know the cops are going to show up, why did you keep doing it time after time? Failure to learn from your mistakes. I'm not saying it is an auto DQ; there are just a lot of candidates who don't have to explain why they got arrested for the same violation four times.
                          Perhaps I got caught up in the wrong crowd then.

Comment

NO I would not hire you. There are to many red flags in your background. Four Underage drinking citations? Come on. You claim you wanted to be a cop your entire life? I find that hard to believe. 1 citation maybe 2 possibly but 4 thats rediculous. Shows immaturity to say the least. Your excuse of everyone does it is lame. Dropping out of college not a good thing either. There are plenty of better applicants out there. Sorry im not going to sugar coat it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Breed View Post
                              NO I would not hire you. There are to many red flags in your background. Four Underage drinking citations? Come on. You claim you wanted to be a cop your entire life? I find that hard to believe. 1 citation maybe 2 possibly but 4 thats rediculous. Shows immaturity to say the least. Your excuse of everyone does it is lame. Dropping out of college not a good thing either. There are plenty of better applicants out there. Sorry im not going to sugar coat it for you.
                              Do you think the majority of LEO agencies will feel this way?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3268 users online. 151 members and 3117 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X