300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

i have been trying to get hired on local PD's for about 2-3 years now. I have worked for the KY DOC for the last 3 years in various positions, currently a Parole/Probation Officer. I'm 26 years old, college graduate with a BS.

I have had a hard time getting hired but never really get a good answer as to why. When I was 16-17 years old, i smoked marijuana fairly frequently. Not quite a daily basis, but definately more than experimental use. probably 100 times. did mushrooms at age 16 twice. i didn't use any for about 3 years, then did it 3-4 times after that at around age 20 (marijuana) while in college. i have been honest about it, actually got a job offer from a major police department in KY that got cut because of budgets right before their academy was scheduled to begin.

is my use as a minor such a big deal? i know i did it myself and have no one else to blame for it but me. and i'm not excusing it either. i haven't done it and have no desire to do stupid stuff like that again. just wondered if i should plan on keeping up doing what i'm doing now until i retire. all i can do is be honest about it.

Originally posted by mustanginky View Post
    i have been trying to get hired on local PD's for about 2-3 years now. I have worked for the KY DOC for the last 3 years in various positions, currently a Parole/Probation Officer. I'm 26 years old, college graduate with a BS.

I have had a hard time getting hired but never really get a good answer as to why. When I was 16-17 years old, i smoked marijuana fairly frequently. Not quite a daily basis, but definately more than experimental use. probably 100 times. did mushrooms at age 16 twice. i didn't use any for about 3 years, then did it 3-4 times after that at around age 20 (marijuana) while in college. i have been honest about it, actually got a job offer from a major police department in KY that got cut because of budgets right before their academy was scheduled to begin.

is my use as a minor such a big deal? i know i did it myself and have no one else to blame for it but me. and i'm not excusing it either. i haven't done it and have no desire to do stupid stuff like that again. just wondered if i should plan on keeping up doing what i'm doing now until i retire. all i can do is be honest about it.
    I'm going to assume that yours is a serious post. If it is, you've answered your own question(s). By your own admission, your use of Marijuana far exceeds the tolerance level established by any LE Agency, The use of Mushrooms, even once is an Auto DQ with most agencies. You admit to use two times. Your use as a Minor IS a big thing, if only because it was so blatant. (100 times) Actually, you're rather fortunate to be doing what you are currently. In fact, given your admitted record, I'm rather surprised that you are employed by your state's DOC. Yes, you should probably plan on doing what you are until you retire. It's about as close to LE as you're likely to get. OK, now before you get all upset regarding my reply, please keep in mind that you asked the question.

Comment

i am not mad. like i said, i got an offer from lexington fayette police department they just didn't hire. i've had problems with other local agencies though, not 100% sure if that's the reason. Last 3 agencies i've applied for i've made it into the top 5. just didn't get hired. could be something else, but they could be looking into that as a reason. i never got "disqualified" for it, just didn't get hired.

The KY DOC doesn't even question about that sort of stuff. i am glad to be doing what i'm doing, but we have no support whatsoever, which is one reason i'm trying to leave. I had a parolee flee from me drunk in a vehicle and the bosses are trying to decide whether or not he should be revoked.

edit:i've been told on the BI that it's not what you've done (up to a certain point) but if you're honest about it, and i passed my polygraph with flying colors last time i took one.

Comment

Let me be direct and to the point - I think you'll appreciate my honesty. With the vast majority of police departments, marijuana is the only illegal drug where experimental use most likely won't affect a department's hiring decision *if* you're upfront and honest about it. However, you admittedly used mushrooms and admittedly smoked more pot than would be considered experimental use. That should pretty much answer your question.

Don't get me wrong, you seem to have some great qualifications, but in this job market there's plenty of other applicants with a combination of college/military/relevant work experience similar to yours. Therefore, given the choice, if you aren't automatically DQ'd for the drug use, the department will almost always pick the person with no history of illegal drug use over you. Just think of it this way: there's hundreds of applicants, and say you're in the top 5 and the department can't decide between someone else and you, because you're pretty much equal in education & experience and favorable characteristics. Well, in that situation, given everything else is equal, they pick the person with no prior drug use.

Hope that made sense.

Comment

yeah i got it man. i'm not doubting my ability to get hired, like i said i did get an offer, just wondered how much weight they put into juvenile stupidity where i was never arrested or anything.

thank you guys for being up front about it. i'm still going to keep trying though, nothing i can do about it now anyways except be up front and honest about it.

Comment

Doesn't matter if you were arrested or not as I
            m sure you know. Your youthful indiscretions are hindering you. To explain, think of how many of the other "top 5" never did the drugs at the frequency you did.

Comment

actually one of the places i just applied to, my buddy was also one of the top five and he used more frequently and more recently than i did, within the last 3 or 4 years. and he's in the background investigation stage right now. we'll see how well he does, he's had other indescretions lately like he drove drunk a couple months back, something i've never done. and he walked out on a $30 bar tab a couple months ago while drunk. claims he just forgot. we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by mustanginky View Post
                actually one of the places i just applied to, my buddy was also one of the top five and he used more frequently and more recently than i did, within the last 3 or 4 years. and he's in the background investigation stage right now. we'll see how well he does, he's had other indescretions lately like he drove drunk a couple months back, something i've never done. and he walked out on a $30 bar tab a couple months ago while drunk. claims he just forgot. we'll see what happens.
                I am willing to venture a guess.

Comment

me too, he's still obviously in his crazy stage and hasn't grown up yet.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6090 users online. 313 members and 5777 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X