300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Oral Board/Interview Question

Hey everyone. For 3 years I've been a detention officer with a city PD, and I have applied for police officer at this same agency.

During an oral board/interview: When I am given prompts such as "Tell us about a time that you disagreed with your supervisor and how you resolved it," is it appropriate to talk about internal experiences? I know that it wouldn't be OK to talk about sensitive issues or those that were currently being resolved, but I wasn't sure otherwise.

My gut tells me this is a gray area, but my experience prior to becoming a detention officer is brief (I'm young) and certainly had less responsibility.

Thanks for your time.

Internal, job-related experiences is what they want. As long as you are not commenting on an active internal investigation, anything is pretty much game as it relates to the question being asked.

Comment

That's not only ok but it's a common question. They want to hear about the conflict and how you dealt with it, not the internal workings. The question basically translates into "Are you an attitude problem?"

Comment

You don't necessarily have to get into specifics. Give an overview as to the problem and how you addressed it. They're not interested in the specific internal matter of another agency. The panel is seeking info as to how it was resolved.

Any specific questions they have as to you and the incident itself will most likely be investigated during your background check.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3193 users online. 181 members and 3012 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X