300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review board?

So far I have done PT, written, oral board, BI, and lastly my polygraph which I took 3 weeks ago. I called today to see what was going on and my BI said that my file is being sent to the review board and they will call me after that. I am not sure exactly what that is and didn't have the nerve to ask. Is it to review my polygraph? Or just my file in general? Is there a red flag or do all candidate's files get sent to the review board? I was never told whether or not I passed my polygraph and I didn't want to ask because I wanted to show I am confident that I did. I am going with the assumption that it's a good thing.
    I realize all departments processes are different but any input will help. Thank you!

Originally posted by Dsquared View Post
    So far I have done PT, written, oral board, BI, and lastly my polygraph which I took 3 weeks ago. I called today to see what was going on and my BI said that my file is being sent to the review board and they will call me after that. I am not sure exactly what that is and didn't have the nerve to ask. Is it to review my polygraph? Or just my file in general? Is there a red flag or do all candidate's files get sent to the review board? I was never told whether or not I passed my polygraph and I didn't want to ask because I wanted to show I am confident that I did. I am going with the assumption that it's a good thing.
    I realize all departments processes are different but any input will help. Thank you!
    It's really difficult to answer your question with any precision. You're correct in that procedures vary from Department to Department. In many cases, an applicant file is sent to a Review Board is a result of a discrepancy, or problem in the Background investigation, Polygraph, or some other phase of the process. Referal to a Review Board is NOT an automatic DQ. or kiss of death, although it can be indicative of a problem. I normally don't recommend that a Candidate call his BI, but you could inquire. Don't expect a detailed, or even reassuring reply.At the end of the day, you know your Background better than anyone of us. You'll also know if there's something there which could be a problem.

Comment

I can think of a couple of possibilities. One is, while the BI conducted your background, the Review Panel is the group that actually determines whether there is anything in your history that meets the criteria for DQ. They may be reviewing your background to make the final determination.

The second possibility gets a little more complicated. In civil service, people are usually hired in the order of their test scores. Highest score gets picked first, second highest score gets picked next. etc. However, many civil service agencies also have something known as the Rule of Three. It allow a department to fill a vacancy from any of the people in the three highest scores. They have the discretion to choose from any of these people (1, 2 or 3) for any reason or for no reason. The chief of his designee usually go over the highest three people and pick who they want. Those who are not picked remain on the list and are part of the top three scores for the next vacancy. This plays itself over and over until the list is exhausted or expires.

It could be that the review committee is serving as the chief's designee to determine under the rule of three, who will fill the next few positions.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        The second possibility gets a little more complicated. In civil service, people are usually hired in the order of their test scores. Highest score gets picked first, second highest score gets picked next. etc.
        Regarding above, and I hope this is on track with Dsquared's question -but can you tell us normally when you say "test scores" do mean just the written and oral in which we're actually given a number, or is the entire process scored as a whole?

Comment

Originally posted by 469881Q View Post
          Regarding above, and I hope this is on track with Dsquared's question -but can you tell us normally when you say "test scores" do mean just the written and oral in which we're actually given a number, or is the entire process scored as a whole?
          I'll attempt to reply to your question, with the hope L-1 will comment later. In most processes, the "scored" portions of the exam, the ones with numerical scores, are the written and oral phases of the exam. The term "weighted" is often used in this regard, The remaining phases of the process are pretty much pass/fail. This includes, Physical, PAT,Psych, Polygraph, and Background investigation. The "weighted" phases of the exam are the ones which place a candidate on the Elgibility Register, or Hiring List, and which give him a numerical standing on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by 469881Q View Post
            Usually it is based on your combined written and oral scores. Ther rest (physical agility, background, medical, psych, etc,) are usually pass/fail.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6471 users online. 352 members and 6119 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X