Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wantabadge
    replied
    FYI to all, best way to get in the department you want is to find out what they're looking for (how they walk, talk, think, approach issues). call to find out if they do ride alongs. DEFINITELY a plus. get in good with a cop or two from the department and you'll find out EVERYTHING you want to know that can help through the process.

Leave a comment:

• wantabadge
    replied
    Thank you. Good luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    Thanks for your advice and congrats with making it through.

Leave a comment:

• wantabadge
    replied
    I did spend time with them. I find that a lot of the younger LEO's are very approachable. If you approach them and mention you're in the process and very passionate about getting in the seem to be more than willing to discuss things with you. DEFINITELY do a ride along. It's a great opportunity to find out about the department AND walk away with a number of someone that you could call later. I had the officer I rode along with cracking up a few times and he wished me good luck and offered his number if I had any questions later. I called him a few times. Really helped me out. Find out as much as you can about the departments approach and the mentality of their officers. Also, PoliceQuiz helped quite a bit. It was good to try out the mock exams just to get a feel for it and practice the memory portions (i.e. maps and mugshots). The advice on the orals was good too. One of my favorite websites for preparing for the oral board was http://www.policetest.info/POLICE_ORAL_BOARD.htm.

469881Q-Sounds like you did well. They expect a little nervousness. As long as you didn't shake like a leaf and stutter over every response I'm sure you did fine. Best of luck.
    Last edited by wantabadge; 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 469881Q
    replied
    I took an oral board recently. 5 officers lined up alongside a rectangular table. I was on the other side, but about 6-8' away from the table. The lights were brighter than I've ever seen. You could see my heart beating from outside my suit. 40 questions, only 4 situational. Thanks to a lot of the posts I've read here, many books, and many hours studying personal traits, and information about the department, etc. I think I did as well as I could have.

Leave a comment:

• concon02
    replied
    Thanks.

Did you spend a good amount of time with officers at the department? It sounds like you did. How did you go about meeting and conversing with them? Ride alongs?

Also, I've never heard of PoliceQuiz.com. Do you feel like it was beneficial and worth the fee?

Leave a comment:

• wantabadge
    started a topic Please Read If You're Trying For Leo

Please Read If You're Trying For Leo

Thought I'd start a thread for those of you trying to get into a P.D. I first want to thank EVERYONE that posts advice for others trying to get in. I've spent the last year popping in and out all the threads that have to do with the "hiring process". I've wanted to be a police officer my entire life and finally went after it. I took my chance by applying September of '08 and just got word last week that I've been accepted to the one, and only, department I applied for. I hit up the threads pertaining to EVERY stage I advanced to and I'll say that those that have left advice for others REALLY helped me out. so, in turn, I feel I should assist others now trying to get in. Let me start out by stating I had quite a few things going against me. Believe what you find in the threads from those that have gotten in and you'll be fine.

Written exam: Don't get worked up over this. There are websites (I used PoliceQuiz.com) that can give you mock exams to prepare and the test isn't rocket science.

Physical exam: Run on a track if you have the opportunity. Treadmill is not the same and you might encounter a mental obstacle when you start around that track if you're not a strong runner, which I'm not. The track seemed to grow longer as I ran. Lol. I only trained on a treadmill.

First/Police Oral: Relax. This is actually the easier oral review between the two. If you know any cops, ask them about what's asked. Heck, even hanging out with them will give you an idea of what responses the officers interviewing you will be looking for. This interview (in my opinion) is actually more important than the final because these are the men and women you'll be working with. Good scores here reflect well later. Use common sense with you responses.

Psych exam: My exam was over 5 hours long. It wears your brain out to the point that you couldn't cheat if you tried. Same questions rephrased a thousand different ways. Just remember to stay in the middle with your profile questions. Anything way over the top or way under is much more suggestive than staying in the middle (referring to multiple choice questions).
    Also, VERY important to not let the psych Dr. push your buttons. My Doc tried everything short of slapping me to try to get a rise out of me. Found out later that he was checking for tempermental responses.

Polygraph: Come clean with things you've done. THEY UNDERSTAND PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. In my case I made some STUPID mistakes. They are more concerned that those mistakes were in the past. My department was looking for anything in the last 7 year range (again, found this out afterwards). Just relax as much as you can. Envision yourself passing. This helped me.

Background: Again, they're looking within a time reference here. I know guys on the PD that had misdemenors for minor things. Credit history is more important here. Pay your bills and limit the amount of debt you've got and you should be golden.

Final Interview: If you've made it this far it's basically YOUR JOB TO LOSE! Everyone told me this and I still had trouble believing it. It's true. KNOW THE MISSION STATEMENT of the Police Department you're applying for. This should tell you what attitude the department has on how their officers should perform. Look into the history of the area (i.e. types of crimes, issues currently presenting to the P.D.). DEFINITELY talk to any officers you know from that P.D. and ask them anything pertaining to the interview and what their average day calls for. Most importantly, REMAIN CALM! As I said before, it's your job to lose. The interview is just to see if you can speak clearly and with thought (scenario questions). You don't want to sound like Hooks from Police Academy.

There's my 2 cents. I've benefited from all of you that added to the treads so I felt I should do the same. The entire process is NERVE WRECKING so understand that the farther along you are, the calmer you should be. Good luck to all of you!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3282 users online. 163 members and 3119 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X