Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation

Hey,

Tried to do a search, but couldn't find anything similar to what I'm asking.

Currently I'm living in Pennsylvania. It's not much hiring going on in the law enforcement field here, as it is probably the same everywhere. Of course I can raise my chances of getting hired by looking outside my area which I'm am currently thinking about.

Well my question is have any of you relocated away from your family for a job and if you did was it worth it? Also after getting hired somewhere else did you try and do a lateral transfer or keep applying for places near your hometown to return?

Info: 21 y/o currently in College, EMT, currently working as a Security officer with a College.

Thanks

I cannot answer that for you. If your looking to determine whether or not you will be happy moving out of state...this will not help.

To add it takes 3 years to be able to lateral transfer in most states.
    Last edited by mikeymedic; 10-01-2009, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Not looking for someone to make a decision for me. Just want to hear personal experiences.

Comment

Yup, been there done that. Check and see if your home state will honor training (academy) from another state if it is your goal to return to your home area. If PA does, I'd focus more so on those states.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
          Yup, been there done that. Check and see if your home state will honor training (academy) from another state if it is your goal to return to your home area. If PA does, I'd focus more so on those states.
          Thanks for the good idea.

Comment

Philly OneNOnly, Everyone has given you some solid info. Somethings to consider. Take ACT 120 on your on time if you can afford the expense.

I went out of state for my firstjob. I had the GI Bill and paid my way through a FL police academy. I never really had the attention of coming back to PA.I only came back (well to the area) due to a family illness and helping to take care of someone.

With PA, if you do decide to go out out of state and come back, be wary of residency restrictions that could haunt you if you do decide to apply to Philly.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I moved from a small town in north east PA to Richmond Va 2 and half years ago to pursue my career. But when I left PA I already had secured a job here in LE. The way I did it was, I sat down with mt girlfriend and we decided where we would like to live. We chose VA, MD and NC. VA offered first. So here I am. I wouldn't change anything about what I did. I moved here not knowing anyone or anything about this area and I was able to make it and build a life. So it all depends on how much you want it. Hope this helps
              To be honest I don't remember too much about losing my virginity. All I remember is I had been awake for almost 86 hours, I was on the roof of a Public Storage building in what seemed to be a freezing rainstorm, and Christopher Walken was there with a disposable camera that he kept winding even though it had clearly run out of pictures.

Comment

Done it. It's weird at first because all your friends, family are states away. You will meet new friends. I moved to a state with a much lower cost of living and greatly increased my quality of life overnight (literally).

It's not for everyone though

Comment

Look on the other side of the state. There are departments hiring. You just need to get your Act 120 first in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Breed View Post
                    Look on the other side of the state. There are departments hiring. You just need to get your Act 120 first in most cases.
                    Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                    Philly OneNOnly, Everyone has given you some solid info. Somethings to consider. Take ACT 120 on your on time if you can afford the expense

I went out of state for my firstjob. I had the GI Bill and paid my way through a FL police academy. I never really had the attention of coming back to PA.I only came back (well to the area) due to a family illness and helping to take care of someone.

With PA, if you do decide to go out out of state and come back, be wary of residency restrictions that could haunt you if you do decide to apply to Philly.

Ah yeah the dreaded Act 120. I've been considering putting myself thru the academy for about a year now. Still weighing in my options though. Im still in the process with Philly from the last exam, but not really high hopes that they will be hiring alot soon. Also Philly lifted the residency restriction that you have to live there for a year for last testing.

Originally posted by The_Blues View Post
                    I moved from a small town in north east PA to Richmond Va 2 and half years ago to pursue my career. But when I left PA I already had secured a job here in LE. The way I did it was, I sat down with mt girlfriend and we decided where we would like to live. We chose VA, MD and NC. VA offered first. So here I am. I wouldn't change anything about what I did. I moved here not knowing anyone or anything about this area and I was able to make it and build a life. So it all depends on how much you want it. Hope this helps
                    Thanks everybody for your experiences and advice. I've decided that I will apply to departments in DC,MD,VA,OH and surrounding areas that are 5hours or less from PA, while still applying for departments in PA. That way if family issues arise I'm not that far.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2611 users online. 143 members and 2468 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X