300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down but never out...

So, after battling my way to the top of the list in two towns, I found out today that my college transcript is "misleading" - it shows 63 "accumulated" hours (noted as "AHRS") but only 44 "earned". Both departments (as well as myself) thought the 63 was my accredited hours.
    I was encouraged by both departments to go back to school and try again next year, and was told that I was one of the best female applicants they'd seen in a long time. All nice to know, but...I'm so frustrated.
    I spent the rest of the day applying to and making advising appointments for our local community college so that I can take a full course load for Spring 2010 and be back in the game for the Summer 2010 recruiting season.
    I will be lurking and soaking up everything like a sponge in these forums, though, so keep up the good posts and pro advice!
    The best silver lining I can think of in all of this is that when it comes time for next recruiting season, I won't have the crazy anxiety that I had the first time around - I know exactly what to expect and exactly what's expected of me!
    Thanks for reading,
    TripletMama

Atleast you can still keep your chin up, good for you. Did you check with the school to see if it was a mistake?

Comment

Thank you. It's been pretty difficult, to think of the time I've lost now, not to mention the years that have passed when I could have been doing all of this to begin with...I got a late start, to say the least, and now I have another year to go, at best. I've been pretty down over the last 24 hours, but this is not an insurmountable goal. It would be one thing if I was DQ'd or rejected for something subjective - this is something I can fix.
      The Deputy Chief of the first department went so far as to call the school and have someone go over the entire transcript with him - and it was indeed bad news. In that town, there is an ordinance stating that a patrolman needs 60 college credits to be sworn in - so even if they LOVED me and thought I was the perfect candidate, they couldn't legally swear me in. The second department told me to come to my oral boards anyway, and because of the difference in their town ordinances, they could keep me on an eligibility list for 2 years - and if those college credits were completed when my number was called, I would be fine.
      SO...best case scenario, I am on an eligibility list, get those credits in the meantime, and get called to Academy next year. Worst case, I get those credits and have to test all over again. Either way, I'm going for it.
      Thanks again!
      TripletMama

Comment

Is there anyway you could get college credits for any life experiences that you have? You would have to pay for them but at least you would get them quickly. You would have to go to your school with the proof you should get the credits but it might work for you. You sound older so you should have something that would qualify for credits.

Comment

I didn't know that that was actually an option...I am "older", haha, 32 - with triplets, no less. Can I get some college credits for surviving triplets? I also kind of raised myself - both parents were dead by the time I was 18, and no real family to speak of - hence the incomplete Bachelor's degree. I had to choose between feeding/clothing/sheltering myself (which meant working 3 minimum wage/tip jobs) OR dedicating all of my time to school and going into even more debt, which was a very frightening prospect for a teenage kid. I chose food and shelter, obviously - but it's probably the worst decision I ever made.

Comment

Not knowing your situation, you need to call your prospective school and speak with an advisor in your field that you want to pursue. Some of your crap jobs might be worthy of some credits. It is worth a try, right?

Comment

Absolutely! Thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6045 users online. 315 members and 5730 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X