300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residency requirements and students?

many departments have residency requirements, can exceptions be made for recent graduates or current college students? I'm interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement, and I'm willing to relocate. I would like to apply/test for several counties/departments- some out of state from my legal residency. I realize there are limited positions and in some areas it can take several years to become an officer. Are moving or transferring departments (which is unlikely) my only options?

What about volunteering- can I volunteer for a department that I'm interested in but do not technically live in the same county?

There are almost no exceptions to these rules. There are hundreds of other applicants that would be glad to take your place if you don't wish to abide by the residency requirements. My advice to you, finish school first or move out of state where there are no residency requirements

Comment

Concentrate on school like posted above. Are you merely asking if you can apply out of state and still have the same shot of getting hired as someone local?

Comment

I go to school in MA, but live on Long Island. From what I've read the competition for jobs on LI, Nassau and Suffolk Counties, is high due to the salary. Odds for getting hired has been compared to winning the lottery. I think it's unlikely that I'll get hired, but I'd like to keep my legal residency in NY. I'm not sure if I should change my driver's lisence and legal address to my college- which would make me eligible for tests and employment in MA, but ineligible in NY. My home in ny is close to NJ and CT so I was thinking about looking into jobs in those states too. I'm willing to relocate or travel but it seems like many applications require a state driver's lisence- honestly I'd like to work in a suburb but the one's in NY are probably out of my league, but I can't risk moving without some form of income...hence the questions about out of state applications and volunteering.

Comment

You would be ineligible to take the NJ state civil circus exam. You need to be a NJ resident.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by kdiaz2029 View Post
            many departments have residency requirements, can exceptions be made for recent graduates or current college students? I'm interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement, and I'm willing to relocate. I would like to apply/test for several counties/departments- some out of state from my legal residency. I realize there are limited positions and in some areas it can take several years to become an officer. Are moving or transferring departments (which is unlikely) my only options?

What about volunteering- can I volunteer for a department that I'm interested in but do not technically live in the same county?
            There is no really valid, conclusive answer to your question. Residency requirments are determined by individual Departments, and waivers, if any, would be at their discretion. In some cases, note I say some, it may be possible to enter the testing process, with the provision you become a resident at a later date. Again, this situation is agency specific. About the only practical thing for you to do, is closely review the requirements of any agency which interests you. Speak to a Recruiter if possible, and go from there.

Comment

Don't expect any waivers. If you are offered a job, a city will probably give you time to move into an apt before you start the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5196 users online. 290 members and 4906 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X