Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my wife's family effect my background?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my wife's family effect my background?

I was recently given a conditional offer and everything was looking very postitive. They were working on my background, calling references, etc. I have nothing major in my past, so there were no secrets. Some mj in high school over 20 years ago, that was it, and I was up-front about all of that. No arrests, no tickets in the last 8 years....really no major skeletons and I was honest about it all.

So, I get the mail, and the rejection letter the other day. The standard format, basically. No helpful information given. I realize it could have gone to someone more qualified, more experienced, etc., but I'm wondering if my wife's family might be a problem since I can't really think of anything about me that is hugely negative (not saying I'm perfect by any means, either).

There are several siblings and relatives of my wife that have pretty extensive criminal histories, including a sister with schizophrenia who killed her own baby and is currently in prison for that crime. My wife herself has no criminal history at all, and not all of her family is bad, but the ones that are are pretty much career criminals.

I'm wondering how much, if any, role that might play in my background and becoming an officer. Thoughts, ideas, opinions please.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Can't pick your family man. BI's understand this and won't hold it against you.

Comment

That is good to hear. Spent a lot of time stressing about that, and so has my wife. She feels guilty, like she's the reason I haven't been hired yet. I need to be able to reassure her, too, not just me.
      "All that is, ever
      Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

As has been noted, you don't get to chose your family. Equally true, you don't get to chose your Wife's family. Unless you've made it a habit to associate with these "relatives" on a regular basis, my feeling is that your problem lies elsewhere.

Comment

Thank you, sir.

My other guess is less-then-stellar credit, although the conditional offer was aware of that before the offer because I told them that in the initial interview. I'd think if that was the problem they wouldn't have offered the conditional to begin with.

I suspect I just got out-bid by someone else, which has happened multiple times. Hard to get in on the ground floor when every position is being filled by certified officers making lateral moves. Just gotta keep trying. It's one of the problems in living in a state with low population and small towns and departments. The openings are limited and often swallowed up by more experienced/qualified people looking for a change.
          "All that is, ever
          Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

I had your same problem. I tested great and had a great background, However there are officers out there that I was competing against, and there were officers out there that fit in better with the staff that was already there.

Comment

There probably was someone more qualified. Your wife's family didn't get you bumped out of the process.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses.
                "All that is, ever
                Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4136 users online. 204 members and 3932 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X