300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring at 50

I will be retiring from the Dept of the Army in the next couple of years with 27 years Federal Service under my belt. Six years of that was with US Army. I have served numerous years OCONUS, have actively avoided spending time behind a desk but can still put a sentence together when cornered and have a strong resume in security type work. I have a couple of B.S.'s (One in Criminal Justice from SHSU circa 1990) and a Masters. I also used to work in Emergency Medicine as a Paramedic and a Physician Assistant, although I am not currently certified as either. When I was in my 20's I planned on going into Law Enforcement, but did the military and USG instead. I would like to pursue Law Enforcement as a second career now. Any thoughts from LEO's who are in my age bracket? Thanks.

Dark Mark
    Last edited by Dark Mark; 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM.

Most local agencies that I know of don't age discriminate. Some state/feds do I believe. If you're in good physical condition, why not? There's a train of thought for many to take on more "mature" new officers rather than the young-uns.

I say go for it.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

The ADEA makes it illegal to discriminate because of age. As long as you meet the minimum job requirements you are eligible for hire. I was hired on at 38, after a 20 year Navy career. Still at it. We hired a 59 year old guy a few years ago, retired from verizon, who always wanted to be a cop. Still with us, until mandatory retirement at 65, and he is one of our best PTOs and investigators.

Go for IT!!!!!!!

Comment

I too am working on my second career at the ripe old age of 42. If it's your dream go for it. Good luck to you.

Comment

HA! At 50 I'll be siiting in my rocking chair on my porch watching the sunrise over the Colorado rockies sipping a hot black coffee smoking a cigar.
          Airborne Cops are closer to God.
          Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

To funny, I can't see not working at 50, probably go for the coffee and sitting around closer to 60. Appreciate the comments.

Dark Mark

Comment

The oldest guy we've hired was a 54 yr old retired LTC. He could only work for another 6 yrs as we have mandatory retirement at 60. Something he always wanted to do so he did it. We've had a few others in their 50s and quite a few in their 40s.
              Go for it.
              183 FBINA

Comment

Just do it. I have seen numerous officers applying and going into the academy that were older than you.

And ChopperCopper Let me know when move to the Rockies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Mark View Post
                  To funny, I can't see not working at 50, probably go for the coffee and sitting around closer to 60. Appreciate the comments.

Dark Mark
                  The missus is not too keen on the cold, but retirement (maybe???) next year and moving somewheres in the desert......

Comment

Mark, go for it!! You have a strong background, and you're bound to be a fit with many, many agencies. I'm sixty six, retired after almost thirty eight years, twenty three with the State of Alabama. Sitting on my porch watching the sun set is good and I enjoy it. Don't think I would have at fifty though. Best of luck!!

Comment

Sure. I had a guy in my academy class at 49 go through. He was a retired Navy officer. He didnt make it due to shooting accuracy from 25 yards but conditioning wise he was middle of the pack. He told us he ran 5-6 miles almost every morning. My other academy buddy made it through at 41-42 and was one of the best conditioned people in the class.

Another guy a class ahead of me, made it through the whole process at 54-56(dont remember the exact age) and is with the department now.

There was another guy couple classes behind me, he was a retired Lt at CHP with 30 years in, he went through our lateral program and made it through in his 50s without any issues. Although the lateral academy and FTO program are much shorter and more laid back.

I would just make sure you're in tip top aerobic/conditioning shape.

good luck and thank you for your service.
                      Last edited by Leo1982; 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

You'd be a shoe in at pretty much any local agency my friend, good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5120 users online. 289 members and 4831 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X