Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK first draft of "So you Want to be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK first draft of "So you Want to be a cop?

OK I have finished the first draft of "OK so you want to be a cop." A booklet that is designed for those that want to be a cop or think they may want to be a cop and it will help you increase your chances of becoming a cop or convince you not to bother, depending on your outlook.

I need you all to read it over and give me constructive comments. What is missing you would like to see and what can I add more material on.

Its 22 pages long so far, so read it and let me know what you think.

Be well and stay safe,

View here:
    http://dept.sfcollege.edu/IPS/CEW/So...o be a cop.pdf

This is not for sale and does not advertise anything. And it is not finished, just the first draft of the first part, but will be very helpful to all applying to be a LEO.
    Police Academy Commander
    Lead Firearms Instructor
    35+ years as a cop
    Becoming a Police Officer
    So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

I am an aspiring LEO at the ripe old age of 42. Thank you for posting your first draft. I found it informative and insightful however I do have one rub. On page 14 +/_ when you refer to filling out an application you state to have someone else fill it out for you if your writing isn't legible. I do not agree with this and it would seem that sooner or later the agency will notice and perhaps this could be seen as misleading or even lying. I have assumed that if the instructions on the application require handwritten answers it is required for a specific reason.
    Some of the written tests (P.O.S.T. test that I have taken in Oregon) require you to do some sort of writing.

Thank you again,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stevehgi View Post
      I am an aspiring LEO at the ripe old age of 42. Thank you for posting your first draft. I found it informative and insightful however I do have one rub. On page 14 +/_ when you refer to filling out an application you state to have someone else fill it out for you if your writing isn't legible. I do not agree with this and it would seem that sooner or later the agency will notice and perhaps this could be seen as misleading or even lying. I have assumed that if the instructions on the application require handwritten answers it is required for a specific reason.
      Some of the written tests (P.O.S.T. test that I have taken in Oregon) require you to do some sort of writing.

Thank you again,

Steve
      Greetings Steve,

Well to be honest you should type it if you can. I have never seen a police application that says you HAVE to write it and cannot type it, but I am sure they are out there. Most agencies use computers now anyway. In our area all the officers have computers in the cars, no more writing anyway. That was for those that still use a pen and try to fill it out. Since the application is the first part of your process in being a police officer, having someone help you fill it out by writing for you I do not see as a problem. We teach in the academy how to print legibly because a lot of the people we get write terribly.

It took me a while of on the job writing to get my handwriting to be better, and now its better as I write on a white board in large letters now. Much easier to do! LOL

I would have to say that I think your nitpicking about being dishonest because you have someone else write what you tell them too. The answers are still yours, the information is still yours, but if your handwriting sucks, then you want to get a chance to improve it. If they throw your application out because they can't read it, then your done before you start. My recruits are constantly having to rewrite memos and missed time forms and all sorts of stuff because of me not being able to read it. If they were to get another recruit to help them fill it out, I would call that being resourceful.

As for test or exams that's a whole different story. Of course you can't have someone write for you then.

But we are allowed to have our own opinions, and yours is a valid point to you and I respect that.

Be well and stay safe and good luck..
      Last edited by ShadowWarrior; 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM. Reason: content
      Police Academy Commander
      Lead Firearms Instructor
      35+ years as a cop

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
        Greetings Steve,

Well to be honest you should type it if you can. I have never seen a police application that says you HAVE to write it and cannot type it, but I am sure they are out there. Most agencies use computers now anyway. In our area all the officers have computers in the cars, no more writing anyway. That was for those that still use a pen and try to fill it out. Since the application is the first part of your process in being a police officer, having someone help you fill it out by writing for you I do not see as a problem. We teach in the academy how to print legibly because a lot of the people we get write terribly.

It took me a while of on the job writing to get my handwriting to be better, and now its better as I write on a white board in large letters now. Much easier to do! LOL

I would have to say that I think your nitpicking about being dishonest because you have someone else write what you tell them too. The answers are still yours, the information is still yours, but if your handwriting sucks, then you want to get a chance to improve it. If they throw your application out because they can't read it, then your done before you start. My recruits are constantly having to rewrite memos and missed time forms and all sorts of stuff because of me not being able to read it. If they were to get another recruit to help them fill it out, I would call that being resourceful.

As for test or exams that's a whole different story. Of course you can't have someone write for you then.

But we are allowed to have our own opinions, and yours is a valid point to you and I respect that.

Be well and stay safe and good luck..
        Just FYI and not nit-picking at all: Most agencies in my state (Alaska), specifically require a hand-written application by the applicant, so there are those that will NOT accept typed apps or those filled out by others. I'd just say follow the instructions on the application exactly.
        "All that is, ever
        Ever was, will be, ever
        Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post
          Just FYI and not nit-picking at all: Most agencies in my state (Alaska), specifically require a hand-written application by the applicant, so there are those that will NOT accept typed apps or those filled out by others. I'd just say follow the instructions on the application exactly.
          Good to know, thanks..that's why its a draft.. do they have computers in Alaska? (jking).
          Police Academy Commander
          Lead Firearms Instructor
          35+ years as a cop

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
            .. do they have computers in Alaska? (jking).
            Yes, we have some, but wiring our igloos took some creative engineering.

"All that is, ever
            Ever was, will be, ever
            Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

I think that having some1 else fill out your app even though your writing may be sheet is opening a can of worms. I had my poly the other day and one of the questions was if I filled out the packet or if I had some1 else do it, just food for thought.
              http://www.policeexamtips.com

Amp Reviews

Comment

Shadow,

Another prime example of why so many people on this forum hold you in such high regard. Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Comment

free for review

I've published a book on how to become a peace officer back in 2005. I would be more than happy to send you a free copy via email in a pdf e.book format to review. Feel free to borrow any ideas from my book to generalize yours.

Cpl. LeQuang

send me an email to [email protected] and I'll send you the free PDF e.book.
                  Good Luck and Test Well!
                  Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                  6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

free for review

I've published a book on how to become a peace officer back in 2005. I would be more than happy to send you a free copy via email in a pdf e.book format to review. Feel free to borrow any ideas from my book to generalize yours.

Cpl. LeQuang

send me an email to [email protected] and I'll send you the free PDF e.book.
                    Good Luck and Test Well!
                    Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                    6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Have read several pages so far. GOOD STUFF. The only thing I have noticed so far that would be negative are the grammatical errors, but that can be corrected prior to the final draft. As you stated, this is just the first draft. I'm just a REAL STICKLER for grammatical errors when I read official documents. Good work so far, sir!

Comment

Originally posted by robzilla View Post
                        I think that having some1 else fill out your app even though your writing may be sheet is opening a can of worms. I had my poly the other day and one of the questions was if I filled out the packet or if I had some1 else do it, just food for thought.
                        I have since edited that section since it reads poorly. I looked it over and edited it to read "follow the directions" and some other. As soon as I can access the file server I will upload the newest edit. The internet server is not connecting right now. Thanks for the comment. If that's all in 23 pages, I am doing pretty well..
                        Last edited by ShadowWarrior; 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM.
                        Police Academy Commander
                        Lead Firearms Instructor
                        35+ years as a cop

Comment

Originally posted by pm1031 View Post
                          Shadow,

Another prime example of why so many people on this forum hold you in such high regard. Thank you, and keep up the good work.
                          Thanks I appreciate the comment.
                          Police Academy Commander
                          Lead Firearms Instructor
                          35+ years as a cop

Comment

Chris, I believe you have the beginning of a very good booklet. Hate to sound like the proverbial cynic, but when you're finished. When the final proofs come back, when you publish, you'll still have: The applicant who though,convicted of three felonies,dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces,thinks none of your observations apply to him. That said, you're off to a great start. Keep the drafts coming.

Comment

Shadow,
                              I am greatful for this post, and rough draft. The reading has been great, and full of very helpful info.
                              I have seen many posts on these forums about degrees, and it was touched upon in your draft, the suggestion I have is to state that a Criminal Justice degree is one way to go but any degree is good, so as you said if the app. doesn't make it all the way, they would have a degree in something else to fall back on.

Once again,
                              Thank you for the draft.
                              jbird
                              jbird (NON LEO AT THIS TIME)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2709 users online. 146 members and 2563 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X