300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of force scenarios

I have my oral board in a few weeks and was curious, do any of you officers out there have any use of force and shoot/don't shoot scenarios you would be able to give me so I could practice? Not looking for any answers, just some scenarios I can practice answering. Any help is appreciated.
    “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

-Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

Suspect points a gun at you. Shoot or don't shoot?
    Unarmed shoplifter runs from you. Shoot or don't shoot?
    http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

I had this question in one oral board.

Guy is charging you with a knife, hes about 30 feet and closing in on you, do you shoot or try to use a less lethal tool?

I of course stated 2 to the chest. Simple right? and am confident the officers on here would agree.
      Well the cops on the oral board agreed, however the lady from human resources was not one bit pleased with my answer whatsoever.
      When confronted with shoot/don't shoot scenarios there is really just a few things to remember.
      1. Is your life in immediate danger.
      2. Is a civilians life in immediate danger.
      3. Is another officers life in immediate danger.
      Though there are a few more I will let others chime in.
      "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

Originally posted by kckpd756 View Post

Guy is charging you with a knife, hes about 30 feet and closing in on you, do you shoot or try to use a less lethal tool?

I of course stated 2 to the chest. Simple right? and am confident the officers on here would agree.
        Well the cops on the oral board agreed, however the lady from human resources was not one bit pleased with my answer whatsoever.
        When confronted with shoot/don't shoot scenarios there is really just a few things to remember.
        1. Is your life in immediate danger.
        2. Is a civilians life in immediate danger.
        3. Is another officers life in immediate danger.
        Though there are a few more I will let others chime in.
        A less lethal tool is not a replacement for deadly force when deadly force is authorized. The only thing I see wrong with your answer is that you put the two shots into the chest instead of the central nervous system.
        "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

Originally posted by mooseyard View Post
          A less lethal tool is not a replacement for deadly force when deadly force is authorized. The only thing I see wrong with your answer is that you put the two shots into the chest instead of the central nervous system.
          Yes I know that. It is why I answered that I would shoot they guy. And I said "chest" because I was 23 y/o had never been to a police academy or had any LE training for that matter and was not aware of all the fancy "technical" terms. Though I believe saying I would shoot the guy in the chest got my point across rather well.
          "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

My favorite is one in which no one's life is in immediate danger, but shooting is nonetheless justified, because it forces people to delve more deeply than what they have memorized.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Guy runs out of a convenience store, points a gun at you, turns around, and runs away....

Comment

u arrest dad for dv in living room......a 10 year old litle girl comes down the stairs carrying daddys rifle/shotgun, (a real one), saying "dont take my daddy to jail!"....starts to swing it your way.....
                what do you do???
                yeah....its a TOUGH JOB!!!
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

howsabout this......a continuation to amw315's post.....the armed robbery suspect is running towards the open elementary school next door......???
                  "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                  The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                  sanitizer

Comment

Originally posted by kckpd756 View Post

i say the only thing wrong with that answer is that 2 shots may not be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                      howsabout this......a continuation to amw315's post.....the armed robbery suspect is running towards the open elementary school next door......???
                      . . . but you can see that he has dropped his gun.

Comment

yeah...thats a tough one too.
                        The Tick

sanitizer

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                          yeah...thats a tough one too.
                          Forces them to consider what is meant by "immediate," although I think that "imminent" is usually used and conveys the idea more accurately.

Nonetheless, there are situations in which the threat need not even be imminent yet the use of deadly force would be justified. Such situations are excellent for making people who have gone through the academy squirm.

Comment

One thing that you do have to remember about use of force questions is that, in order for use of force to be reasonable, it as to be reasonable to your peers. Meaning, it doesn't matter what a million citizens and a president says, if fellow officers with the same training would have and could have done the same, you're good to go.

With that said, if a use of force question is asked, they're not usually looking for the correct answer as if you're already a cop working on a use of force report. They're not looking for "They're then struck me with two hands to the chest showing level five active physical resistance, at which time I displayed level three tase to the face", or whatever. What they're looking for is that you're able to formulate an answer, and explain why you gave that answer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3459 users online. 155 members and 3304 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X