Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Problems

Hello,
    I am going to be doing another round of testing once all of the hiring freezes are done with for the departments I have my heart set on (yes there is more than just one or two). The last time I tested was just before all of the hiring freezes took hold and backlogged the list of candidates till the next millinium but I have a serious question and am hoping on getting serious answers unlike the last answer I got on one of my last posts. I am wondering what kind of emphasis is put on your family issues. I should say my immediate family has a well colorful history. My mother, sister and father are all or were at one point in my child hood meth addicts. My sister has been arrested several times for different things like driving on a suspended for like the upteenth million time, my mother has been in and out of rehab and is currently in a halfway house my dad is well working and possibly clean now but I dont really associate with my family and havent heard anything different in some time. When I was younger I was a police explorer and have been working in different private security companies since I was 18. I have never been arrested and have never touched anything but experimented with marijuana like 3 times when I was 15. I have pretty much severed my ties with my family as a result of their rampat drug use. My childhood was very entertaining to say the least, I used to get to watch my mother tackle my father in the hallway over money, my dad sold drugs at one point and one of his dealers was robbed infront of my house while I was doing yard work @ the age of 12. The guy robbing him told my dads dealer that he was going to kill me unless he gave him what he wanted so ya, I had a real fun child hood. How will this affect my chances?
    Each day we put our lives on the line to protect the good from the acts of the evil.

Do you have something against paragraphs?
    http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

You can't choose your family.

Comment

You don't get to choose your family. Their "activities" will come up in your hiring process, but shouldn't be a significant problem for you. As unfortunate as it is, you'll need to continue to disassociate yourself from them, if you desire to pursue a career in Law Enforcement. Your personal "experimentation" with Marijuana will probably be within the tolerance policy of most agencies.

Comment

My department policy forbids us from associating with "Known" criminals; however, it has a narrowly defined exception that allows for us to associate with family members who are criminals, but only when the encounter is unavoidable. Examples include family functions on holidays and things of that nature.

At some point during the application process, you will probably be asked questions regarding your concerns.

Comment

No kidding. How about a paragraph or two.

http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/fwalters/para.html

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
              No kidding. How about a paragraph or two.

http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/fwalters/para.html
              Ok, ok, I know I should use paragraphs. I posted this on my "crackberry" and its a bit of a pain but I will make an effort to make paragraphs.

Thank you for some of your answers, including the ones about using paragraphs. It helps alleviate some of my concerns. Be safe and have fun!
              Each day we put our lives on the line to protect the good from the acts of the evil.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5880 users online. 345 members and 5535 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X