Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on the background invest. paperwork...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the background invest. paperwork...

Hello everyone,
    I have finally been selected for a background invest by a local department and am confused on how to answer a question. I will start out with the background info- when I was 10/11 y.o. my older brother and I were called down to the local PD because we had vandalized a work site near by (mostly moved some stuff around, nothing too crazy) we met with the contracter and said we would do 20hrs work for him to make up for it. We did the hours and that was that. The second thing is when I was 18 I was caught with marijuana by a Park Ranger. He gave my friends and I a mail in ticket (similar to a speeding ticket) which we paid and mailed in.

My problem is on the application it asks "Have you ever been convicted, arrested, detained, or summoned into court?" I was never arrested, detained or summonsed, but would my juvenile mischief qualify as convicted crimes? I want to let them know about it because I know they will probably find out about it, but don't want it to look more serious than it was. Any help on how to answer this would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Originally posted by collier2424 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have finally been selected for a background invest by a local department and am confused on how to answer a question. I will start out with the background info- when I was 10/11 y.o. my older brother and I were called down to the local PD because we had vandalized a work site near by (mostly moved some stuff around, nothing too crazy) we met with the contracter and said we would do 20hrs work for him to make up for it. We did the hours and that was that. The second thing is when I was 18 I was caught with marijuana by a Park Ranger. He gave my friends and I a mail in ticket (similar to a speeding ticket) which we paid and mailed in.

My problem is on the application it asks "Have you ever been convicted, arrested, detained, or summoned into court?" I was never arrested, detained or summonsed, but would my juvenile mischief qualify as convicted crimes? I want to let them know about it because I know they will probably find out about it, but don't want it to look more serious than it was. Any help on how to answer this would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!
    You don't make it clear whether or not you were actually arrested for the "vandalism" as a juvenile. It still needs to be mentioned, much as you have done it here. The citation from the Park Ranger was a "summons". You waived a court appearence and paid a fine. Technically that's a conviction. Check the laws of your state, but in most states age 18 qualifies as an Adult arrest. Neither situation should be a problem for you, provided that's the extent of any past problems with the law. It's essential that you're truthfull concerning both situations. Again, they shouldn't be problems, but they must be mentioned. Good luck.

Comment

"Have you ever been convicted, arrested, detained, or summoned into court?"

Yeah, the question is to be designed as a catch-all way of asking "Have you ever had any run-ins with the police?"

When the officer stopped you to issue you a ticket, he temporarily DETAINED you to issue a ticket because he had probable cause.

When the subject of a background investigation, it's best to just disclose everything when you're in doubt, as PhilipCal said. Don't sweat it - everybody who has applied to any local,federal,state agency has done SOMETHING they are not proud of. Own up to your mistakes, tell them what you learned from it, and carry on with a positive attitude.

Good luck.

Comment

The answer to the question is YES and YES, But I would not worry too much about it, the juvi thing is old history. and 1 marijuana incident should not be a DQ.

Good luck

Comment

Thank you for your replies! It makes a little more sense now. I'm excited about this department, so hopefully it all works out

Comment

this process is not easy!

Thank you all again for your replies, but I am starting to get worried... I mailed out my paperwork for my background and since then have applied to another dept. I handed in my app and resume in person, so they gave me invitation to the physical test while I was there. Last night, I got a letter from this new dept saying they are taking back my invitation because of my arrest for possession of drugs and am never allowed to apply at their dept. again. I know they misunderstood what I wrote down because I was never arrested for this offense and never went to court for it. What should I do? Call the Lt. and clarify things to see if I can still do the physical? And now I am worried that the dept doing the background will misunderstand what happened since they didn't give space to explain the situation. I am hoping that my BI will call before they flat out reject me so I can explain, but this most recent letter has me freaked out.

Any suggestions would be great!

Comment

Sounds like you have already been Disqualified. When they issue you a MISD ticket for possession of drugs its pretty much the same as an arrest (although not a custodial arrest) Because you were charged with a crime that you could have been arrested (taken in) for. Hope that makes sense. Good Luck

Comment

How old are you? You never mentioned that and this could be your problem.

Comment

You'll need a good amount of time between a drug arrest and becoming a police officer. 3-5 years at most places, longer if they have a huge list of applicants and can afford to be picky.

Don't get confused by the fact that you weren't in handcuffs, in front of a judge, and in jail. You were arrested, cited in lieu of detention, and then released with a summons. That's the ticket that you mailed in with payment of the fine. Your payment was recorded as a guilty plea, and a conviction for possession of marijuana will show up on your state criminal history.

You can be hired; you need to let enough time pass and be an otherwise strong candidate. Construction site BS is no factor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3728 users online. 270 members and 3458 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X