Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I sit down with a recruiter to discuss background issues before app?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I sit down with a recruiter to discuss background issues before app?

I have (as Im sure everyone else has also) possible problems with my background and wanted to know if sitting down with the recruiter and laying it all out is a good idea, or if it would lead to unnecessary self incrimination or tainting of my chances. I have a friend who went through an academy and got picked up by a local agency and he had to tell a couple lies to do that. So hes advised me to lie about certain things also but I dont feel good about that because its lying, and if it were to be discovered later i would surely get canned.
    Would the recruiter be appreciative of my upfront honesty is discussing things or would it just be self incrimination and my app get disregarded?

Originally posted by novemberclass View Post
    I have (as Im sure everyone else has also) possible problems with my background and wanted to know if sitting down with the recruiter and laying it all out is a good idea, or if it would lead to unnecessary self incrimination or tainting of my chances. I have a friend who went through an academy and got picked up by a local agency and he had to tell a couple lies to do that. So hes advised me to lie about certain things also but I dont feel good about that because its lying, and if it were to be discovered later i would surely get canned.
    Would the recruiter be appreciative of my upfront honesty is discussing things or would it just be self incrimination and my app get disregarded?
    I'd be very wary of keeping company with a person who lied to get hired. He may be the rare individual who pulls that off, but there's always a better than average chance he'll be found out. In most agencies, that's an automatic dismissal. Even Civil Service Departments. Not knowing what's in your background, it's difficult to advise you in depth. I suggest you look closely at the requirements of any agency which interests you. Examine the requirements honestly against your background, and see if you even qualify. Certainly, you could speak to a Recruiter to see if it's worth your time, and the Department's for you to apply. I wouldn't even consider lying. Not for one nano second. Should you attempt it, you'll have about a 99.9% chance of being discovered. That happens, you're toast.

Comment

I agree with Phil. If they tell you not to apply after you talk to the recruiter, then you saved yourself some time. If you lie, they will find out, and they will tell the surrounding departments.

I don't know how much you know on the subject's of background investigations and polygraphs; but between those two things, nothing can hide. Good Luck with your endevors.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
        I agree with Phil. If they tell you not to apply after you talk to the recruiter, then you saved yourself some time. If you lie, they will find out, and they will tell the surrounding departments.

I don't know how much you know on the subject's of background investigations and polygraphs; but between those two things, nothing can hide. Good Luck with your endevors.
        Yes that is very true. Even though I (and my friend who got hired despite lying) are only applying to non-polygraph agencies.
        It still doesnt feel right though even if skirting a poly.

Comment

Yes that is very true. Even though I (and my friend who got hired despite lying) are only applying to non-polygraph agencies.
          It still doesnt feel right though even if skirting a poly.
          Let me throw an additional thought or two at you. The fact that you, and your less than truthfull friend, are choosing non-Polygraph agencies is pretty significant. It's not that the Polygraph is some see all, know all instrument, it's merely an investigative tool. It can't tell whether you're lying or not. It's been said, that the Polygraph won't reveal anything a good investigator can't find out. Whole lot of truth there. So, stated another way, if there's something in your past, that concerns you passing a Polygraph, that same "something" has an excellent chance of being uncovered by a Background Investigator.

Comment

You sound like you like the idea of being LE but don't want to be held to the same high LE standards as the rest of us. I'm sorry, but I'm not an officer yet, (sorry if I'm not supposed to comment in here)and it's people like you who get in my way of being hired. I've been applying for more then two years, flown around the U.S. for interviews and tests at select departments, and I have been rejected numerous times. I am on the verge of being hired, finally. I still have to do my poly, and I will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth just as I have in my other polygraphs.

If you have to lie to get hired, you aren't qualified for the job. Period. End of story. You lack the integrity. Get out of the way, since there are a lot of qualified and truthful people struggling to find jobs.

That said, you still have the choice to take the high road on this. Give up all of your secrets and see what they say. Most agencies don't expect perfection in people's pasts; they expect honesty and taking responsibility for the imperfections and mistakes.
            "All that is, ever
            Ever was, will be, ever
            Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post
              You sound like you like the idea of being LE but don't want to be held to the same high LE standards as the rest of us. I'm sorry, but I'm not an officer yet, (sorry if I'm not supposed to comment in here)and it's people like you who get in my way of being hired. I've been applying for more then two years, flown around the U.S. for interviews and tests at select departments, and I have been rejected numerous times. I am on the verge of being hired, finally. I still have to do my poly, and I will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth just as I have in my other polygraphs.

If you have to lie to get hired, you aren't qualified for the job. Period. End of story. You lack the integrity. Get out of the way, since there are a lot of qualified and truthful people struggling to find jobs.

That said, you still have the choice to take the high road on this. Give up all of your secrets and see what they say. Most agencies don't expect perfection in people's pasts; they expect honesty and taking responsibility for the imperfections and mistakes.
              I want to take the high road on this. I am going to sit down with the recruiter this week and spill everything to him, and I mean everything and just let the chips fall where they may. It just doesnt feel right to try to hide things just for the sake of getting the job, and even if I got the job I would always know it was gotten by ill means and not only that I would always have to worry about anything coming out and then getting fired. I just dont want to live like that, this sort of job is very different from anything Ive known and I know its not for everyone and I may have to accept that.

Comment

Glad to hear that. I wish you the best of luck!

"All that is, ever
                Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

Snif snif, I smell a major integrity issue here, with both of you.
                  It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                    Feel free to explain that further if you're referring to me.
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

Pretty sure DACP is referring to the OP and his LE buddy. You know, the one who is a liar...

Could be wrong though...

Comment

Yeah, sorry. Haven't slept in about 40 hours, so my brain is a little slow at the moment. That thought eventually surfaced in head, but after I posted that.
                        "All that is, ever
                        Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                          x2

Comment

If you feel that uncertain about your background, why not just do yourself a favor and not apply? I have never heard of anyone, let alone a recruiter/agency allowing an applicant or future applicant to sit down and "lay your cards out". Anyway, best of luck...
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post
                              Feel free to explain that further if you're referring to me.
                              I was referring to the OP and his "buddy", sorry if you thought I was talking about you.
                              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5419 users online. 331 members and 5088 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X