300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of explanation for DQ/Failed BPAD

As of right now I've applied to 4 different departments. I have also been DQ'd from 4 different departments. For two of them the reason was the BPAD test. I have determined that I hate this test with a passion. The thing that irritates me is that when they send you the letter explaining that you did not pass it, they do not provide you with any reason. What in the world are they looking for on this test?? I have taken it twice with one dept. and 3rd time with a second dept. and I cannot pass it and I do not know why.

In one dept (where the BPAD is not used), I made it past the polygraph with flying colors, did the oral board, & submitted the background PHQ. and got a letter 3 weeks later stating that I had been DQ'd. It listed possible reasons as, your background, your interview, or your polygraph. It also stated that they could not give me more information about what it was that DQ'd me. Again, I do not know why.

For the final DQ I took a trip to the other side of the country to test. This dept had a PHQ as a test BEFORE the written test. Apparently I failed that. So I was not allowed to continue with other testing. As before they explicitly said, "We cannot tell you why you failed."

To me this seems ridiculous. Why can they not disclose this information? its information about YOU. They are not disclosing it to a third party.

As far as my personal background goes, I have no arrests (other than speeding and the last one of those was almost 10 years ago), minor marijuana experimentation in high school (again 10 years ago), no major moral/integrity issues in my background, & a BS in Criminal Justice. The only bad things I can find are the fact that I was fired from a job when I was 22 for essentially being lazy and not showing up on time. Also, I don't have stellar credit. Although, last year I went through and paid ALL my outstanding debts (save my student loans which are on deferment) and have documentation to back it all up.

My biggest problem is that I really want this. When I went back to school to finish my degree I got my life together. it may have taken me until I was 24 it figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but once I realized that this was it, I stepped up and got stuff done. Got my degree, paid off my debts, been going to the gym 3-4 times a week to get my *** in shape, & keeping my nose clean of anything that could bite me. Now I've been DQ'd from these dept's and I don't even know why. I don't know if its something I can fix and eventually pass or if its something I can do nothing about and should just give up my dream of being an LEO. And it irritates me because now when I go to apply and have to answer questions like, "Have you been DQ'd from other law enforcement hiring processes?" I have to say yes....and that is almost a guaranteed DQ.
    BS in Criminal Justice
    Trying to get hired....

Originally posted by Prime View Post
    As of right now I've applied to 4 different departments. I have also been DQ'd from 4 different departments. For two of them the reason was the BPAD test. I have determined that I hate this test with a passion. The thing that irritates me is that when they send you the letter explaining that you did not pass it, they do not provide you with any reason. What in the world are they looking for on this test?? I have taken it twice with one dept. and 3rd time with a second dept. and I cannot pass it and I do not know why.

In one dept (where the BPAD is not used), I made it past the polygraph with flying colors, did the oral board, & submitted the background PHQ. and got a letter 3 weeks later stating that I had been DQ'd. It listed possible reasons as, your background, your interview, or your polygraph. It also stated that they could not give me more information about what it was that DQ'd me. Again, I do not know why.

For the final DQ I took a trip to the other side of the country to test. This dept had a PHQ as a test BEFORE the written test. Apparently I failed that. So I was not allowed to continue with other testing. As before they explicitly said, "We cannot tell you why you failed."

To me this seems ridiculous. Why can they not disclose this information? its information about YOU. They are not disclosing it to a third party.

As far as my personal background goes, I have no arrests (other than speeding and the last one of those was almost 10 years ago), minor marijuana experimentation in high school (again 10 years ago), no major moral/integrity issues in my background, & a BS in Criminal Justice. The only bad things I can find are the fact that I was fired from a job when I was 22 for essentially being lazy and not showing up on time. Also, I don't have stellar credit. Although, last year I went through and paid ALL my outstanding debts (save my student loans which are on deferment) and have documentation to back it all up.

My biggest problem is that I really want this. When I went back to school to finish my degree I got my life together. it may have taken me until I was 24 it figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but once I realized that this was it, I stepped up and got stuff done. Got my degree, paid off my debts, been going to the gym 3-4 times a week to get my *** in shape, & keeping my nose clean of anything that could bite me. Now I've been DQ'd from these dept's and I don't even know why. I don't know if its something I can fix and eventually pass or if its something I can do nothing about and should just give up my dream of being an LEO. And it irritates me because now when I go to apply and have to answer questions like, "Have you been DQ'd from other law enforcement hiring processes?" I have to say yes....and that is almost a guaranteed DQ.
    Not trying to play head games with you, but somewhere in your post, is your problem. You're rather vague about the "minor Marijuana experimentation". You're equally vague concerning moral/integrity issues. I totally respect your right to not go into detail concerning those issues on a public forum. I can almost assure you though, that a common" something"is DQ ing you. It's happened four times now. My sense is, that your problem lies within those areas you're reluctant to disclose. The great majority of agencies will not give an applicant a specific reason why he/she was DQ'd. There's a myriad of reasons for this, none of which you'd really like. What you should probably do at this point, is, realistically assess your chances of being hired. Measure yourself objectively against a given Department's hiring standards. If Possible, speak to a Recruiter to see if it's worth your time, and the Department's for you to apply. Make a decision to proceed based on that information.

Comment

What he said.

Comment

For two of them the reason was the BPAD test. I have determined that I hate this test with a passion. The thing that irritates me is that when they send you the letter explaining that you did not pass it, they do not provide you with any reason. What in the world are they looking for on this test?? I have taken it twice with one dept. and 3rd time with a second dept. and I cannot pass it and I do not know why.
        If I understand the BPAD system correctly, candidates watch a series of professionally acted and produced video simulations, then respond verbally as if they were at the scene. Responses are videotaped and scored using validated criteria. If you failed the BPAD, it was because you gave an incorrect response to one or more incidents. No one involved in the testing process is going to tell you what an acceptable response would be to those incidents because doing so would compromise test security. The scenarios in question are used over and over again for other candidates. If they told you what the acceptable responses were, you could share that information with others who might use it in future tests or use it yourself in future tests, invalidating the integrity of their testing process.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I have no issue discussing those things, but I was trying to be concise for the sake of the post. As far as the drugs go, the only one I have ever used was marijuana and that was 4 maybe 5 times (its been so long I can't remember) during the year of 1998-1999 (Summer before senior year HS to about January in 1999). As far as morality issues, I don't lie cheat or steal as a way of life. Sure, I've taken some things when I was a kid, but really....who didn't. I've never cheated on a test (I earned those C's all by myself, thank you). And aside from the usual, "No honey, those jeans don't make your butt look big" type fibs, I don't go around making false statements to anyone.

I guess that is the real reason I didn't really go into detail....I know of people who are much worse in all of these life areas than I am (people I went to HS with and do not speak to anymore) and they are police officers and have top secret clearances. So I'm kind of at a loss.

As far as the BPAD goes, I realize that they cannot tell me what I did wrong for the sake of the test, but it would be nice to know that some was accurate and some was incorrect instead of just "you failed."
          BS in Criminal Justice
          Trying to get hired....

Comment

I too have been more than frustrated at several disqualifications at multiple agencies. They also told me the same thing they told you about not discussing the reasons for my disqualification. Yes it is frustrating, but deep down, I already knew the reasons. Things in my past that took place 8-10 years ago, which I was totally honest about, and assumed were minor. Keep in mind that these agencies want the most perfect candidate possible. There are so many issues with concern to liability in this line of work that even people with seemingly clean records aren't good enough.

It's my personal belief that many agencies are missing out on a great deal of good candidates because their standards are too subjective. Poly's and psych tests have not eliminated the bad apples, yet a lot of good candidates are passed over. What can someone like you or me do? Just keep trying. My goal is to be a full-time sworn police officer. I was able to get into a reserve deputy position, and a full-time corrections officer position. Right now I am working hard to prove that the past is just that, past. Perhaps in a few years, I will find a job in this field.
            Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

I have no issue discussing those things, but I was trying to be concise for the sake of the post. As far as the drugs go, the only one I have ever used was marijuana and that was 4 maybe 5 times (its been so long I can't remember) during the year of 1998-1999 (Summer before senior year HS to about January in 1999). As far as morality issues, I don't lie cheat or steal as a way of life. Sure, I've taken some things when I was a kid, but really....who didn't. I've never cheated on a test (I earned those C's all by myself, thank you). And aside from the usual, "No honey, those jeans don't make your butt look big" type fibs, I don't go around making false statements to anyone.

I guess that is the real reason I didn't really go into detail....I know of people who are much worse in all of these life areas than I am (people I went to HS with and do not speak to anymore) and they are police officers and have top secret clearances. So I'm kind of at a loss.

As far as the BPAD goes, I realize that they cannot tell me what I did wrong for the sake of the test, but it would be nice to know that some was accurate and some was incorrect instead of just "you failed."
              OK, Your "past" doesn't really sound like it did you in. There are any number of aids and study guides on the market, at fairly reasonable cost, which could help you. Many of these are geared to preparation for the written exams. Do a Google Search to see if there is anything which could help you with the BPAD. The BPAD(s) is essentially a device to gauge your response to a given set of circumstances. You seem to understand why an agency won't give you a specific statement on which portions of the test you failed. I agree that's frustrating. Keep in mind, that Departments currently have some pretty awesome talent from which to chose. Your challenge is to place yourself among those candidates. Another thing to keep in mind, is that many of us didn't make the cut the first couple of times we applied. If LE is what you want to do, if you meet the basic qualifications, keep trying. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4112 users online. 195 members and 3917 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X