300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did not pass FTO...Need advice

I did not pass my FTO program a few months ago. I have been soul searching and have come to realize that this is still the career for me. When filling out applications now, what should I put down for the "Reason For Leaving Job" field? Thanks in advance.

I think professional reasons would be acceptable. All I can tell you is to hang on. As a Field Training Officer, I can tell you that officers who were asked to resign from my department, were able to go to smaller departments, pass their F.T.O. program and become good cops. Or, you may want to see if there is any civilian position within the p.d. that you can put in for, get some experience there, then re-apply as an officer. We had a guy do that. He couldn't pass in his first try, so hee took a jailer position and got experience, he has been in training and about to complete the Field Training Program. Keep it in your heart, and you'll do it.. Good luck

Comment

Agreed with the above. We've had a few off the top of my head that I can think of who either did not pass the Academy or the Field Training Program on their first opportunity. They stuck with it, put in the effort, and started from scratch by going through the application process again and graduating.

Not easy but like the above poster said,
      "keep it in your heart and you'll do it.. Good luck"
      The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Visioman View Post
        I did not pass my FTO program a few months ago. I have been soul searching and have come to realize that this is still the career for me. When filling out applications now, what should I put down for the "Reason For Leaving Job" field? Thanks in advance.
        You tell the truth. I don't expect you to go into the details of your failure to pass FTO. The FTO Program with which I'm familiar, offered remedial opportunities as well. If that's the case with your program, you need to do some serious soul searching as to why you failed. As you apply to other agencies, you can expect to be questioned rather closely as to why you failed to complete your FTO Program. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Comment

Whatever you do, if you expect to be taken seriously by another dept, is sugar-coat the answer. Don't put something like "Personal reasons" or "Mutual agreement". Put down the reason "Failed FTO program". The other sugar-coated answers show that you haven't accepted responsibility for why you didn't cut it. The other agency is going to find out. Why make yourself look foolish by playing word games.
          It reminds me of the one guy I did a background on. He replied he left a previous job because "There was no future there." In a way he was correct. When I contacted his employer that's exactly what he said - "The guy had no future here. He either left when he did or he was to be fired." No big surprise. He left that job and was unemployed for a couple of months afterwards. I had a pretty good idea the story before I ever talked to his former employer. He didn't have a future with us either.
          183 FBINA

Comment

I think it's very important to know why you did not pass. Were you having trouble keeping up with paperwork, couldn't deal with people, couldn't handle stress, couldn't multi-task? Some things you can learn, some you can't. You need to figure out what your problem was and if it can be fixed. When reapplying to other agencies you will need to be honest with them as to what your problems were, and what you've done to correct them. Even hiring someone up to the point of FTO is very expensive, and I think it will be difficult to find another department that is willing to take the chance on you. I really wish you the best.
            "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

The department told me I was not responding to the FTO Program at an acceptable rate. They told me I was not being proactive and not being hands-on enough with people when I needed to be. I was also told my officer safety lacked quite a bit.

Comment

^
                Those are areas that you can improve on. Goodluck.

Comment

The department told me I was not responding to the FTO Program at an acceptable rate. They told me I was not being proactive and not being hands-on enough with people when I needed to be. I was also told my officer safety lacked quite a bit.
                  Those are understandable reasons. I'd list them exactly like you stated, co as not to appear less-than-honest.

I was very reluctant to arrest people early in my career. You are taking away basic human rights. I'd make excuses for people's driving errors, and question whether I really saw what I thought I saw.

Once I got some confidence and became versed in the elements of several crimes, it became automatic to me to act, without hesitation, if I observed all the elements of a crime.

In my opinion, and presumably other rational persons, it's easier to learn to be more aggressive versus less aggressive.

If you omit details, agencies will assume the worst. I'd rather have them know I was reluctant to manhandle other humans, versus wondering whether I shot a friendly....
                  "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

I've got to tell you, as a former FTO Supervisor, I'm having a little trouble with your response. As you were encountering these problems, your FTO should have been noting them to you verbally. They should also have been documented in your DOR's(Daily Observation Reports). It was my experience that these problems manifested themselves fairly early in the program. If that was the case in your program, it seems you'd have had the opportunity to correct the problems. . The ability to deal with people, firmly, when need be, to practice proper Officer Safety procedures, are basic to this job. I'm going to risk offending you, which is not my purpose. I am going to suggest to you that it's possible, you're not cut out for this job. If that's true, it hardly makes you a bad person, and there is no dishonor in it. As I noted in my previous reply, you should be prepared to be closely questioned with regard to your failure to complete the FTO Program. You'll probably discover that most agencies will be reluctant to afford you another opportunity. That said, I hope things work out for you.

Comment

I guess you put down something like, "Released during FTO."

Comment

PhilipCal....No offense taken here. I appreciate your input. I'm going to explain to the prospective agencies exactly what happened and what I've learned from this. As for the application process, I've gotten a few responses as to what to put in the "Reason for Leaving Job" field....such as, "Failed FTO Program", "Released During FTO Program", and "Professional Reasons".

Comment

Tell them exactly what you told us. You have been honest and direct about your short comings, state it plainly. Cops wallow in BS for a living, it would only irritate them to hear you trying to put the best face on it. I think it will hurt your chances of getting hired at the moment.

Remember though just because its what you want to do, doesnt mean its what you should do. You sound like your a trusting person who prefers to see the good side in people. Thats not a bad thing, it means your a decent person. But cops have to see and expect the worst in people.
                          Originally posted by FJDave
                          GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                          "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

PhilipCal....No offense taken here. I appreciate your input. I'm going to explain to the prospective agencies exactly what happened and what I've learned from this. As for the application process, I've gotten a few responses as to what to put in the "Reason for Leaving Job" field....such as, "Failed FTO Program", "Released During FTO Program", and "Professional Reasons".
                            Okay, "Released during FTO Program"", Professional Reasons", don't get it done.
                            "Failed FTO Program "is what you did, that's what you need to put One of my colleagues basically covered this in his reply to you. You dance around this issue, sugar coat it, or soft peddle it, and you diminish your chances at a second shot even more.

Comment

fto

Don't make up excuses on why you failed: My fto sucked, the program was too hard, it was too much for me, the FTO was out to get me, the program is not fair...etc..etc...

Focus on the strength of the FTO program, and why you didn't pass: ex. The FTO program was fair and very tough (any cop knows how tough passing probation and an FTO program is) I was young, inexperience, or lacked certain traits, and I struggled everyday of the program. But everyday I learned something new and tried to make myself a better police officer. I struggled with orientation, report writing, radio transmission, radio listening, officer safety etc...etc..etc... but I've learned to correct those deficiency by (list what you did to correct the problem) (ex. report writing; I've signed up for a report writing class at the community college, radio brevity: I bought a police scanner and listen to it daily and have memorized most of the common radio codes and transmission, officer safety: this is a general topic, but I've talked to several season officers and have taken their inputs very seriously and have bought several books on patrol, and officer survival.

The bottom line is don't make up excuses on why you did not pass the FTO program.......focus on your weakness that led to your dismisal, and then turn the negative around and make it into a positive, and try to convince another dept. to give you another opportunity. and when you get that 2nd opportunity, take full advantage of it, and correct your deficiency.

Passing FTO or any probation period is not easy, and often time one of the most Stressful process you will ever go through, but just like the academy, hard work, dedication, and the will to imrprove, and commitment, you should be able to overcome it the second time.
                              Good Luck and Test Well!
                              Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                              6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7512 users online. 425 members and 7087 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X