300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

What would you do if you were a reserve for an agency and not once, but twice after they opened up hiring following a freeze, they selected someone off the street, over you to be hired full-time? To make matters worse, you weren't even interviewed.
    Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
    What would you do if you were a reserve for an agency and not once, but twice after they opened up hiring following a freeze, they selected someone off the street, over you to be hired full-time? To make matters worse, you weren't even interviewed.
    Your question, really generates some questions of my own. Were the applicants in question more experienced/better qualified than you? When you accepted the Reserve position, was it with the understanding that you'd have a shot at regular employment down the road? I tend to sympathize with you,based on the face value of your post, but consider the questions I've asked. Don't answer them here if you're not comfortable doing that. I'm simply attempting to arrive at a decent reason why you weren't interviewed, or given a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      Your question, really generates some questions of my own. Were the applicants in question more experienced/better qualified than you? When you accepted the Reserve position, was it with the understanding that you'd have a shot at regular employment down the road? I tend to sympathize with you,based on the face value of your post, but consider the questions I've asked. Don't answer them here if you're not comfortable doing that. I'm simply attempting to arrive at a decent reason why you weren't interviewed, or given a shot.
      Believe me, I have pondered the same things, and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don't want to be strung along for years as an unpaid reserve officer with an agency that never intends on giving me a shot.

Comment

If you have reserve status then I assume you have been through the Academy. I recommend to start applying for other jobs around the state. I don't know what part of Kansas you are in but if you have an Academy under your belt plus street experience as a reserve a Dept is gonna pick you up, its less money out of their pocket to train you.
        "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

Just fyi...I believe Merriam is hiring and they are a good agency to work for.
          I put myself through the academy before I had a job....it makes you a bit more marketable, especially with the budget BS goin on today. So you would have that plus experience. No residency requirements
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I agree with Crass Cop. However, Just remember that you have a ton of laid off Officers out there to compete with. Maybe the person who was just hired was a Sergeant somewhere else and just got a patrol officer position.

Comment

Too hard to say. Do they know you want the job? Maybe they never intend to hire you full time. Maybe the other candidate has more experience, education, etc. If they are hiring uncertified over certified, they clearly don't want you.

Comment

They still have you as a reservest right?

Hire someone new and get to keep you. 1+1=2

They hire you and lose your reserve work. 1-0=1

They have you, and wanted more. Why would they hire you, when they are getting work out of you already, They can still get your reserve work, and have a new cop.

Nothing against you, but that is an administrative justification for something that sucks for you.

apply somewhere new, and tell them you are un-volunteering for reserve.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Hhmmmm...

Better organizational fit..??????
                  "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

I know this may sound dumb, but did you put in a formal application for the position?
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      I know this may sound dumb, but did you put in a formal application for the position?
                      Of course. I turned in an official application, and I notified one of the deputies in charge of hiring that I was interested in the position. Every week when I went in to work, I asked about it and they had no answers. One week I went in and was informed someone had been hired. I don't know if this was political, or if this other person had a ton more experience than me, or whatever, all I know is that I feel like I was burned.

I should mention the position was an entry level detention deputy position in the jail. After I didn't even get an interview, I got a job doing essentially the very same thing (corrections) with the state.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
                        Of course. I turned in an official application, and I notified one of the deputies in charge of hiring that I was interested in the position. Every week when I went in to work, I asked about it and they had no answers. One week I went in and was informed someone had been hired. I don't know if this was political, or if this other person had a ton more experience than me, or whatever, all I know is that I feel like I was burned.

I should mention the position was an entry level detention deputy position in the jail. After I didn't even get an interview, I got a job doing essentially the very same thing (corrections) with the state.
                        Although my colleague is quite capable of speaking for himself, he asked a pretty legitimate question. There have been ocassions, when, a Reserve Officer felt that he/she was an "heir apparent" to the next Regular Officer slot that came along. Not saying that was you, just saying it happens. You're more familiar with the agency in question than we are. Thus, you should be in a better position to answer your own question in many ways. I'm not defending your Department's action, merely making a point. In another way, the whole thing seems like a moot point, in that you've now got essentially the same job with the state.

Comment

You know, eventhough we don't think so at the time, sometimes things just have a way of working out for the better.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3782 users online. 259 members and 3523 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X