300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision making

I haven't even reached the step in applying quite yet, but I do know that I will be applying at more than one department around my area. I was just curious as to what you guys did when this situation came up. You apply at more than one department (one happens to be your #1, #2, and one you really didn't want except last resort, etc.) and you happen to get calls from the departments on the lower end of your list, but not so much your #1/#2. What'd you do? Did you wait for the calls from them? Or was it the first department to call was the one you went with? Or the one that made you feel the most comfortable, etc.?

What happens if they all start calling you at once? It's okay to have more than one BI investigation and testing, etc. etc.?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
    I haven't even reached the step in applying quite yet, but I do know that I will be applying at more than one department around my area. I was just curious as to what you guys did when this situation came up. You apply at more than one department (one happens to be your #1, #2, and one you really didn't want except last resort, etc.) and you happen to get calls from the departments on the lower end of your list, but not so much your #1/#2. What'd you do? Did you wait for the calls from them? Or was it the first department to call was the one you went with? Or the one that made you feel the most comfortable, etc.?

What happens if they all start calling you at once? It's okay to have more than one BI investigation and testing, etc. etc.?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but you haven't gotten there yet. In all probabality, the day you're referring to is a long way off. You're going to have to apply, test well, jump through all the required hoops, etc. At that point the "day of decision" might arrive. Put first things first though. You have a considerable way to go. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

To add to what Phil said, this is not a "kid in a candy store" type situation where you are going to have so many job offers that you just can't make up your mind who will be the lucky department to be graced by your presence.

There are far more applicants for these positions than there are vacancies, competition is fierce, screening standards are stringent, and even if you do pass, there is no guarantee that you will score high enough to be picked up right away.

In short, you go with the first agency that makes you a job offer. Once you are hired and get a couple of years experience under your belt, then you test for the agency you really want to work for.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Ditto on L-1. I took the first one that came. I had an offer a month later, more money and better hours but I still turned them down, Why? The first person that gave me my chance in law enforcement gets my loyalty.

Comment

I know it's going to be difficult. I know that just because I apply to all of the departments doesn't mean each will be fighting for me. I was just curious how those who went through that process already, how they came down to their final choice. So far, seeing that the "first one that comes along" is the one that gets the final decision. I appreciate your honesty

Comment

I applied to a bunch and took the first job I was offered.

In this economy you can't be too picky.

Most law enforcement departments in my area are laying off. I'm just glad I got a job and that I kept it.
            http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

Originally posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
              I know it's going to be difficult. I know that just because I apply to all of the departments doesn't mean each will be fighting for me. I was just curious how those who went through that process already, how they came down to their final choice. So far, seeing that the "first one that comes along" is the one that gets the final decision. I appreciate your honesty
              Read the replies again. Read any ones that will be added to ours. Should you decide to apply, you're going to enter a pretty ardious, time consuming, often frustrating process. As has been so accurately noted, there are far more applicants than vacancies. This fact is further amplified by the continuing sour economy. Even if the economy turned around 100% tomorrow, it would take most governmental entities another two to three years, to adequately fund ALL of their departments, including Law Enforcement. This is about how long it would take tax revenues to once more adequately fund government services. Please realize that no one here wishes you anything but success in your efforts. We simply want you to realize that this isn't a 'rose garden". Put another way. Keep the horse in front of the cart. Once again, best of luck in all your efforts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11887 users online. 488 members and 11399 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X