300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical

I have used the search function and could not find out much.

To the point:

I have high blood pressure 144/88 on average. Can you be DQ'd in the Medical part of the process for having high blood pressure? Do Police Departments in general frown upon BP problems and the medication if I get on BP medication?

I only have 3 more steps left in my hiring process which is the Poly then Psych then Medical. I do not want to make it all the way to the end and not make it to the academy because of BP problems. I am taking personal corrective actions to try and lower it but it is not enough and looks like medication is the only way.

Thanks,
    Steve

Originally posted by SteveOKC View Post

To the point:

I have high blood pressure 144/88 on average. Can you be DQ'd in the Medical part of the process for having high blood pressure? Do Police Departments in general frown upon BP problems and the medication if I get on BP medication?

I only have 3 more steps left in my hiring process which is the Poly then Psych then Medical. I do not want to make it all the way to the end and not make it to the academy because of BP problems. I am taking personal corrective actions to try and lower it but it is not enough and looks like medication is the only way.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve, your question is one which has to be answered by the agency you've applied to. The answer will depend on the Medical standards in place for that Dept. In a very general sense, your problem is fairly common. If the Department's medical standards allow for your condition to be treated with medication,my guess is, you'd be OK. That's only a guess though, so you'll need to discuss it with the examining Physician. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveOKC View Post

To the point:

Thanks,
      Steve
      hi steve
      from the medical point of view your normal BP shouldnt be higher than 120/80,anything higher is consider too high,,,and remember BP always measures higher on the right arm and lower on the left arm. have you try natural ways to lower your pressure? make sure ur sodium intake doesnt go over 1500/day, grape seed extract 150ml/day is really excellent and it works you have to take it daily. lots of vitamin c helps as well and you could also take beetroot juice (about 500ml) an hour before ur pressure is taken because it will keep ur pressure lower than usuall for up to 24/hrs. I also remember that garlic is pretty effective ,,,,good luck LET ME KNOW THE OUTCOME
      Exam 8314/95.5%

Comment

oh yea and as far as NYPD goes your pressure cant exceed 149/90 or you in trouble and your medical mightn be put on hold. I dont know how it goes for other departments.........& i dont intend to put you down im just givin u facts,,,after all we have to look out for one and other
        Exam 8314/95.5%

Comment

As the others have said, standards will vary from agency to agency.

If you click on http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Cardio.pdf and read the section on hypertension, you will see some of the general concerns about this condition and how it may affect people in this profession.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5405 users online. 337 members and 5068 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X