300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so discouraged!!!

Well I have not been hired with the department that I wanted to work for!!
    I can't imagine why, they were hiring but maybe there were just better applicants?

I have lots of pull with law enforcement in my area and I have alot of friends and even family in the law enforcement field. Maybe some of you can help?

A little background is in order here:
    Never done drugs,drink occasionally in social settings never to excess. I have never been arrested, no DUI or anything like that. I am in college working on my bachelor's degree in communications. I have 3 years left on that. I have never stolen anything. I one time was at a convenience store and was on the phone, and accidentely walked out with a soda, I realized that I had not paid and walked back in to pay. I have a reckless driving--5 years ago,one speeding ticket 90 in a 65 one roll through a stop sign and that is it. All of my tickets are off my record and I am totally clean. I cannot understand why they did not hire me. I blew away on the physical, I thought I did good on the interviews!!! any advice as to why? thanks for any advice, Matt

Is this the first department you've applied for? Sometimes it takes a few rejections until you can get the final offer of employment. Stay focused on your school and keep applying. Get good grades and continue to obey the law.

Comment

Keep Trying, It will mean more to you when you finally get.

Comment

catch um and ba,

At this point I am discouraged, I have done all the right things and still did not get the job. This is the department that I want to work for. maybe my tickets killed me! Im not sure and I regret them all and My uncle that is a cop just shook his head at me. He really wants me to follow in his footsteps and I am trying but cant seem to get it right. I am very optimistic and will continue to pursue this if it kills me. I disclosed everything even things that the background officer said was not even an issue and still nothing. My physical was top notch. I worked very hard to get in good physical condition and mental condition and they still did not give me the job. I will not settle for anything else. What did I do wrong? I cant understand? Can I do anything else to make me stand out?

Comment

dude, i honestly dont know a single cop working today that got hired on the first try..im sure there are some, but ive never met one..
          In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

It took me a few rejections before I finally got on the Department. I know you are gung ho at getting into this one particular department, but realize that you'd be lucky to get into ANY department in the current economy. I'd put myself out there with as many applications as possbile if I were you. You deserve to represent yourself as best as possible. Do not get discouraged and quit, just realize that there is another badge out there with your number on it.

Comment

From what little background info you gave it sounds like you are a kid with one year of college. I'm guessing you also have limited work experience. That's all ok, but there are people with years of work experience and graduate degrees out of work right now not to mention hundreds if not thousands of current cops who either have been or are about to be laid off. Keep trying, but realize it is extremely competitive to get hired for the few openings there are right now. Finish your degree get whatever work experience you can and you'll probably be more competitive down the road.

Comment

Who cares if your family is on the department make it on because of your ability not your family name, no one likes those guys that got on because of their family anyway because everyone thinks they got on just because of the name. Or maybe the people on your board don't like your friends or family that are on the department? This may be hard to believe but that stuff does happen on police departments. Maybe you were not the best applicant, maybe someone else had family on too, maybe someone scored better in some areas, maybe they had to hire a certain number of minorities (whoever that is nowadays). Don't be so cocky as to think that you were the best and they screwed up by not giving you the job as you say, you have to earn the job sir. Just keep trying it sounds like you expected to get the job. You sound a little young from reading your posts so maybe they thought you were a little too young and not ready yet? Who knows. I know it may seem crushing but depending on how old you are and your life experience as to date you are in for a whole lifetime of disappointments, this should been seen as a mere setback.

Comment

I applied at over 20 agencies in a 2 year period before being hired as a corrections officer. Don't give up.
                  What is Perseverance?
                  -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                  -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                  -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Sorry that I sound cocky, I have been preparing for this for a long time and made all the sacrifices to become a cop. I don't want to sound like I am better than the next guy but I know I am just as good. I am young I am 22 but ready to be a street cop. That is what I want and know that I can get it if i keep trying except that the department I want has a 1 year requirement from the last application process. I'm not saying that I am better but I am just wondering how I can make myself stand out next time? I want it really bad. can you give me some advice to help me stand out in the next app. process? I am eager to learn and I know there are some police officers on here that can give me some advice on what they did to help them stand out!

Comment

Stick with it. Some guys get hired on the first time, others later. Neither of which is a bad thing as there end up being great officers from both groups. I have gotten lucky twice. Why, no clue whatsoever, but I can say stick with it. As far as connections... that is one of those things that can help or hurt you. Try not to even think of those. Personally, I think I would have it easier without my family connection. It can both work for you as well as against you without you having much say it. Just stick with it... everything happens for a reason. You've got your sights set on a Bachelors... it may be a hint to just knock out the degree since you've started. Trust me, going back and/or balancing the school work in conjunction with shift work isn't the easiest.
                      sigpic

Comment

Apparently your "pull" didn't help you. I say that to make a point. Saying you have "pull" comes across as a little arrogant. OK, I could sit here all day, and suggest reasons why you didn't make the cut this time. Yeah, the traffic citations stand out. They're both movers, and kind of blatant. I hope you listed them on your Personal History Statement, and that you continue to do so. Even though they may have dropped off of your Driver History, the BI can still access them in an off-line search.It's entirely natural to be disappointed, and it's very natural to wonder why you failed. The question now is, do you give up, or do you try again? That call is yours. How badly do you want to be a Cop? Have you applied at only this particular Department? For future reference, there is nothing wrong with applying at more than one agency. Keep focussed and keep trying. The competition is rough, as is the economy. There's no shortage of well qualified applicants. Do your best to make yourself one of the most viable candidates out there. Good luck.

Comment

You already indicated you had family members in the area who are in law enforcement. Perhaps they can give you more detailed information on what a particular department in your area is looking for. Without knowing what steps in the process you completed and how you ranked on them there isn't a whole lot I could or would suggest. Shotgun some applications....Good luck.

Comment

When I first separated from the military I did the one dept at a time thing. That was one big mistake. After being rejected a few times I put my application into almost every dept in the Kansas City area. KS and MO side. I finally got on with one from KS and after I was in academy for a few weeks a dept in MO called back wanting an interview. I had to turn them down for a change. Felt bad about it, but hey I got in somewhere and I am happy where I am.
                            What Is A Veteran?
                            A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Ok, I am sorry I have gone back and read my posts and I do sound like I expected to get the job and thats not how I meant to sound.

Three of my family members are in law enforcement 2 deputies and one dispatcher. Both deputies have 5+ years on the force and have pretty good reps in the dept. from what I have heard. The thing is that I am not trying to use them as "my way on board". I want to get on because I am the better candidate. I want to be a cop not a cop that got there because his family talked to someone and got him a job. I have dedicated myself to this and I truly want it. My question is since I have done what I thought would be the best to stand out...obviously I have not. What have you guys done "uniquley" to stand out. I have some of the best refferences around but am afraid to use them becasue I don't want to get on just because of my pull. I have not used my dad and uncle as a refference yet and also I have been really good friends with a federal cop for years. I have made many police friends from several departments over the past three years from ride alongs etc. I don't want them to be the reason I get on. I want it to be because I am the better applicant. what did you guys do to stand out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7481 users online. 437 members and 7044 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X