300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backgroudn Investigator Meeting

My B.I. called me the other day and said he would like to sit down with me and go over my file??? WHat does he mean by that?? Does this mean he's completed his investigation?? He's had my paperwork for a while (3-4 weeks) and opoogized for not contacting me earlier. Is this normal to meet with the B.I. after he's done or before he started?? I Just want to know what to expect. ALso should I wear a suit?? I plan to but just want to make sure I don't over dress. I've worn a suit to everything so far.
    Law Enforcement is a calling not a Job!!!!

Sounds like he's got a question concerning something in your file. It's very difficult for me to say what that might be. What to wear? My suggestion is a suit, or at the very least, business casual. That means dress/polo shirt, trousers, shined shoes etc. Don't forget you're still selling yourself.

Comment

Well wish me luck! Hope all is well.
      Law Enforcement is a calling not a Job!!!!

Comment

I usually did two interviews with applicants.

The first one was before the background was started. It was to go over the personal history questionnaire and ask questions about anything that caught my attention or seemed odd. There will always be stuff that looks odd, often because an applicant does not understand a question or simply makes a mistake in answering. This interview is not a big deal and can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how far down you stick your foot in your mouth.

The second one was towards the end of the background investigation and is called a discrepancy interview. This is where the BI asks you about things that turned up during the investigation and require clarification. It could be anything from a negative evaluation from an employer, a discrepancy on employment dates, a traffic citation that came up under your name that didn't show up on your questionnaire, etc. It's simply your chance to respond to anything negative that might hurt your chances.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I usually did two interviews with applicants.

The first one was before the background was started. It was to go over the personal history questionnaire and ask questions about anything that caught my attention or seemed odd. There will always be stuff that looks odd, often because an applicant does not understand a question or simply makes a mistake in answering. This interview is not a big deal and can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how far down you stick your foot in your mouth.

The second one was towards the end of the background investigation and is called a discrepancy interview. This is where the BI asks you about things that turned up during the investigation and require clarification. It could be anything from a negative evaluation from an employer, a discrepancy on employment dates, a traffic citation that came up under your name that didn't show up on your questionnaire, etc. It's simply your chance to respond to anything negative that might hurt your chances.
          That is a great quality in a BI. There was stuff in my packets that I was unsure about and I could never get a straight answer from anybody. I think everything is ok but I thought that I messed up some address dates where I lived at in the past.

I have a question though. What happens when there is nobody at the place of work that knew you for your evaluation? One place I worked, everybody got fired and new management took over. Another place closed down the store for good? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyKane View Post
            I have a question though. What happens when there is nobody at the place of work that knew you for your evaluation? One place I worked, everybody got fired and new management took over. Another place closed down the store for good? Thanks for the help.
            If, because of time and turnover, no one remembers you, that will simply be noted in the report. As long as company records confirm that you were employed there, it should not be a problem. However, expect to be asked for the names of previous managers, supervisors and co-workers. It is not too hard to track them down (usually through the DMV computer) and ask about you.

If the company is no longer in business, your previous employment can at least be confirmed by your W-2 and previous tax returns and an Employment Development Department employment history. Many defunct companies still maintain employee records for a certain number of years to prove they paid social security, unemployment, disability and workers compensation premiums on their staff. So, with a little digging, those records can often be found. And again, expect to be asked for the names of previous managers, supervisors and co-workers. It is not too hard to track them down and ask about you.

If you want to learn more about the background process, take a look at http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/bim/bi.pdf It's 255 pages long, but it will answer most of your questions.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12069 users online. 420 members and 11649 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X