300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Oral Board Question

Q: You wife and kids are sick with colds and you can not find a friend or family to watch them, what would you do.

A: I said that I would notify my supervisor ASAP when I think their might be a conflict. I would ask someone who was off to trade shifts. In the end I need to take care of my family and if my wife is so sick that she can not watch our children I will call in and tell my supervisor I can't come in.

What was the purpose of this question? It seems out of the ordinary for oral boards. Was there a right answer? What would you as officers do in this situration.

Thanks,

Originally posted by finfanfromWA View Post
    Q: You wife and kids are sick with colds and you can not find a friend or family to watch them, what would you do.

A: I said that I would notify my supervisor ASAP when I think their might be a conflict. I would ask someone who was off to trade shifts. In the end I need to take care of my family and if my wife is so sick that she can not watch our children I will call in and tell my supervisor I can't come in.

What was the purpose of this question? It seems out of the ordinary for oral boards. Was there a right answer? What would you as officers do in this situration.

Thanks,

That IS a new one for me..... I would say call the super and take a sick day. Most policies allow sick days for taking care of family as well......

Comment

I would say: "While I feel for them having colds, it's just a cold. There's not much good I can do for them at home other than cooking the chicken soup. Maybe I could call to have a relative or friend drop by to help with making lunch or dinner, or I could order in for them, but for a normal cold, I'd show up at work. If the family (most importantly my wife) was suffering from a bad flu, or other illness that is more incapacitating than a cold, then that's a different story."

Comment

Originally posted by basics View Post
        I would say: "While I feel for them having colds, it's just a cold. There's not much good I can do for them at home other than cooking the chicken soup. Maybe I could call to have a relative or friend drop by to help with making lunch or dinner, or I could order in for them, but for a normal cold, I'd show up at work. If the family (most importantly my wife) was suffering from a bad flu, or other illness that is more incapacitating than a cold, then that's a different story."
        Sales does not equal law enforcement. You can't post here. Don't make your first post your last.
        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Thats kind of a tough one I guess...

In my opinion, a simple cold would not warrant my absence from work. Its definitely a different story if it was a serious illness or a life-threatening injury or something of that nature. I know that if I have a cold, I don't expect to be calling in.

The big sticking point for me is the fact that my wife would be home as well. I know she's sick, but she's still capable of functioning. If it were just the kids home alone, thats an issue for sure.

Overall, stick to your answer and be able to articulate your reasoning...do that and you should be fine.
          Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Comment

I have heard of a similar question in the past. Your answer is the better of the two the board is typically looking for. If the department has the mentality that family comes first you did great. If they have the mentality that the job comes first then you don't want to work there anyway.

Comment

How about this assessment boys and girls? It's called common sense: What this question is trying to measure is your ability to assess an important situation at home, (taking care of your family) and (your job or shift). And your responsibility to your department. (ex. proper notification in a timely manner, so your sgt, or supervisor can find shift coverage or call someone in on mandatory shift coverage.)

Assuming you cannot find anyone to take care of your wife or kids.....(and it could happen) The right thing to do is to stay home and take care of your family. Usually your contract, and sick leave accruement will allow you to take some time off to take care of your family. 1 day or 2 day is fine. Now, if you go beyond 3, you may need to justify this further.

Assuming your an applicant, this is the answer I would give. (above)

Assuming you are on probation, I would go into work, get dressed, and ask my FTO or Sgt. and explain my situation to them, and ask them for permission to go home, and take care of my family. (No Sgt. or FTO would say no. Why? because they have a family too.)

If you just called in while your still in training or on probation, depending where you are at in your training phase.and department you are with...(week 1 thru 2nd month), your FTO and Sgt. will classify you as "Salty, or arrogant". Calling off sick is a "No, no" during training. Calling off sick to take care of your family is also a "No, No" during training.

If your a full time cop (2 or 3 years) or veteran (10+) years, call in and say, "I'm not coming in. My family is sick. " and hang up the phone......"ring tone.

Hope this helps........
              Good Luck and Test Well!
              Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
              6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

FMLA I believe covers that scenario.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Good point...

It should be noted that I am very new to the job. In fact, I haven't even hit the streets yet. My mentality is most certainly skewed towards the "don't even consider calling in" side. My oral board answer probably would have been more similar to the OPs before my mind was taken over by those in charge of my training.

Good points
                  Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Comment

I cant imagine why any dept would include that question. I would hope they not only already know the answer but would kick themself for even asking it!
                    "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                      FMLA I believe covers that scenario.
                      +1 thats exactly what it covers.
                      " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

Comment

I think that in asking this question they deliberately made an unreasonable presumption and wanted to see if you would go along with it, or if your thinking was independent enough and you were bold enough to politely call them on it.

While colds can be nasty, they are usually not serious enough to require one adult family member to take time off from work to care for another adult family member. While it would be nice to have someone help look after the kids while you wife is feeling down, I doubt that having a simple cold would incapacitate her from giving them food, making sure they take their meds and being able to call the doctor if things get worse while you were working your shift.

It suggests they wanted to get a better feel for your ability to evaluate and prioritize things.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8864 users online. 178 members and 8686 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X