Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my chances?

-----------
    Last edited by aj13579; 03-01-2011, 12:49 PM.

-----------------
    Last edited by aj13579; 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

---------------------
      Last edited by aj13579; 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aj13579 View Post
        Long story short, I received an adjudicated felony (as a juvenile) last year. I was not arrested at the time of the incident, and there are no convictions on my record.
        You have a felony record correct?

Your chances are 0
        Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Your felony adjudication is going to be a major obstacle to your being hired with just about any agency I can imagine. Two distinct, but related factors are at work here. Your state Police Officer Standards and Training agency will prohibit the hiring of any person convicted (adjudicated) of a felony. This applies to adjudications in "Youthfull Offender" (Juvenile) status. Individual police agencies will also simply not hire a person with a felony record. The fact that you did not recieve proper legal advice at the time of your arrest, doesn't alter the fact of the adjudication. Okay, I don't want you to take just my word for this. Check with a Recruiter/Background Investigator at an agency you're interested in. Run your total situation by them. See if it's worth your time or the department's for you to apply.

Comment

You didn't specify what the felony was for.

Yup, you are going to have a tough time. When there are 350+ applicants applying to departments in the Twin Cities with a lot having experience.

Minnesota do not do polygraph testing.

Look at MN POST's site:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/newpost/posthome.asp

Comment

Check your POST web site

Well, not that I want you to post it but the actions you and your friends were going to take appear to be some sort of a breaking and entering, or burglary. (inference taken from the "lock pick") Sounds like something more is involved here.

Is sounds like you were formally charged, were you formally convicted? Read the following information from MN POST Standards. Remember that each agency may have higher standards than POST requirements....as noted by the last line in the statute.....

This information is from the MN POST web site...at http://www.dps.state.mn.us/newpost/posthome.asp Minnesota Administrative Rules
              6700.0700 MINIMUM SELECTION STANDARDS.
              Subpart 1.Selection standards.A person eligible to be licensed shall meet the following minimum selection standards before being appointed to the position of peace officer. The appointing authority may affirm that the applicant has already completed certain of these standards, but the affirmation must be documented pursuant to subpart 2.

A.The applicant shall be a citizen of the United States.

B.The applicant shall possess a valid Minnesota driver's license; or in case of residency therein, a valid driver's license from another state; or eligibility to obtain either license.

C.The applicant shall complete a comprehensive written application.

D.The applicant shall submit to a thorough background search, including searches by local, state, and federal agencies, to disclose the existence of any criminal record or conduct which would adversely affect the performance by the applicant of peace officer duties.
              E.The applicant must not be required to register as a predatory offender under Minnesota Statutes, section 243.166 or 243.167.

F.No applicant may be appointed to the position of peace officer who has been convicted:

(1)of a felony in this state or in any other state or federal jurisdiction;

(2)of any offense in any other state or federal jurisdiction which would have been a felony if committed in Minnesota;

(3)under Minnesota Statutes, section 609.224, 609.2242, 609.231, 609.2325, 609.233, 609.2335, 609.234, 609.324, 609.465, 609.466, 609.52, or 609.72, subdivision 3; or convicted under any state or federal narcotics or controlled substance law irrespective of any proceeding under Minnesota Statutes, section 152.18, or any similar law of another state or federal law; or

(4)of any of the crimes listed in this item in another state or federal jurisdiction, or under a local ordinance that would be a conviction if committed in Minnesota.

Subp. 4.More rigid standards.An appointing authority may require an applicant to meet more rigid standards than those prescribed in this part.

Comment

This obviously was decided by the court, correct? You are going to have a huge obstacle getting hired in LE and possibly being able to carry a firearm. Best thing to do is talk to your lawyer, if you have one or hire one. Best of luck.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

----------------------
                  Last edited by aj13579; 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

In your original post, you advised us that you had an Adjudicated Felony as a Juvenile. Now you state that the adjudication was witheld. The replies you recieved were based on your original post. You've inquired,"What are my Chances"?My feeling is that you're still going to have an uphill fight with regard to being hired as a Police Officer. It's not my intention to demean your position as a Security Officer, but in general, the standards for employment as a Police Officer are considerably higher. While it's arguably unfair, many, if not most departments are going to have a major problem with your original arrest and charge. This concern will remain despite the withholding of adjudication. What I would suggest you do is contact a Recruiter/Background Investigator at any agency which interests you. Run your entire situation by this Officer,and determine if it's worth your time and the department's for you to apply.

Comment

This is under MN Code of Conduct:

6700.1600 VIOLATION OF STANDARDS OF CONDUCT.

Violation of any of the following standards of conduct by a licensee constitutes grounds for disciplinary action:
                      A.

engaging in conduct prohibited by, or listed as, grounds for disciplinary action in this chapter, Minnesota Statutes, chapter 214, or sections 626.84 to 626.90, or engaging in conduct which violates any statute enforced by the board;
                      B.

obtaining a license from the board by fraud or cheating, or attempting to subvert the examination process;
                      C.

being convicted of a felony or gross misdemeanor in this state, or in any other state or federal jurisdiction of an offense that would constitute a felony or gross misdemeanor if committed in Minnesota including a finding or verdict of guilt, whether or not the adjudication of guilt is withheld or not entered, an admission of guilt, or no contest;

You will need to contact POST and see if you will quality. Won't make sense to spend 4 years on a degree that you can't use.

If I recall correctly a Stay of Adjudication is still a GUILTY, but the punishment is not imposed, unless you violate some terms that the Judge sets. Also, a lot of backgrounds will ask if you have even been charged with a felony, not just convicted.

Comment

CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION Have you ever been convicted (or charged) with a felony or misdemeanor?

This is from Clay County's application.

http://www.co.clay.mn.us/Depts/HumRes/JobAppIn.htm

Page #3.

You can bet any background will ask about charges.

Comment

-------------------------
                          Last edited by aj13579; 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Just remember though, POST will just let you know if you can hold a license, that does not mean a department will hire you.

I know that some current metro PD's are getting over 300 applicants for open positions. Departments need to weed out applicants, and having a felony doesn't look that great.

You will need to have a lot of things in your resume that impress a department. I would start doing volunteer work, maybe getting some medical certification, First Responder, EMT-B, or even EMT-P.

It will also depend on what your felony was.

Comment

Originally posted by aj13579 View Post
                              Also, I thought I should mention that the stayed adjudication of the felony was completely over-kill for what actually happened (which was pretty much nothing). If my friends and I would have asked for a lawyer immediately instead of agreeing to talk to the officers, we would have gotten off with trespassing, if that. (because they were standing in the parking lot before anything ever happened). Though the charge was ridiculous (which I got 3 weeks later after being released on a statement), the officers did do an excellent job, and did what was necessary, though I can't say the same thing for the prosecutor. I have the upmost respect for the officers that were involved, as well as any other peace officer. We were dumb kids making a foolish mistake, and they caught us in the act.
                              First off, this statement sounds like every criminal that I deal with. I think your first step is to take responsibility for your actions, not blame the prosecutor for their "over-kill." You are the one who undertook the action that put you in this position, not the prosecutor. You do know that officers work with the prosecutor to have criminals charged, right?

Second, a stay of adjudication, under the legal definition, means that, upon successful completion of probation, the plea would be vacated and the charge dismissed. This is not technically a "conviction" of a crime. Minnesota rules 6700.0700, subpart 1 F(1) specifically states that no person convicted of a felony can be licensed as a police officer. Since this was not a "conviction" that may not automatically exclude you. However, POST can provide a better conclusion, this is just my opinion.

Third, many, if not all, law enforcement agencies in Minnesota view a stayed adjudication of a felony in the same light that they do a conviction of a felony. The bottom line is that you were charged with a felony and found to be responsible (on some level) for the crime you committed, even if you were not "convicted" of the felony. As others have said, the competition is highly fierce and this will be an enormous obstacle to overcome in order to become a police officer.

With all that said, I would say that your chances are very low to none. I am not trying to crush your dream, but it is something to consider in choosing whether or not to stay in your current major.
                              Last edited by BD0883; 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM.
                              "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
                              "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9519 users online. 477 members and 9042 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X