300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPA question

Hey guys, just wondering what the general consensus is among the recruiters on this board regarding GPA. I've just applied to a PD, but absentmindedly didn't verify my GPA was over 2.0. In Texas, it seems, most agencies want a 2.0 or better if you have the 60 credit hours. I have a BA from a midwestern university in Broadcast Comm. A lot of good that did me . Thought I was gonna be the next Edward R. Murrow.

Anyway, getting back on point, are you recruiters using the GPA as a big disqualifier in the hiring process, or is this something that may be overcome through valid explanation or extinuating circumstances? To be honest, I spent more of my parents' tuition money goofing off in class rather than applying myself. Not that I wasn't interested, but I was young and dumb and didn't maintain proper discipline in my studies.

It has been some time since I checked (over 7 years), and I am confident that my GPA is better than 2.0. However, I could be wrong. It could be 1.8, or 1.9-ish. I'm not the kind of person who remembers what his grades were over the years.

Also, I have gone to night school several times in the past few years and had a 2.5 GPA for 12 hours earned. Does that GPA get added to the mix to bump me up? Or is it a stand-alone?
    We are free men. We will not be subjugated. We have the guns to prove it.

GPA was never an issue when I did backgrounds. We had a minimum education requirement for the job. If you possessed the necessary diploma, then you continued in the hiring process, If you didn't possess the necessary diploma, you were DQed. Grades were meaningless and we never even asked about them.

I have never heard of an agency that requires a certain GPA. Which one is it?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Just about all the local Houston departments. HPD, Pasadena, Harris County, Constable...etc. etc.

The language reads that (paraphrasing): Applicant must have 60 hours college credit with 2.0 GPA or better.

I went ahead and ordered copies of transcripts from the three colleges I took classes from. Gotta see about the one where I'm degreed. Hopefully, it isn't as bad as I fear.
      We are free men. We will not be subjugated. We have the guns to prove it.

Comment

You're good don't worry.

Comment

As long as you passed with a 2.0 or better no one really cares what your GPA is.

Comment

As long as you graduated, I hate to say it but most do not care what your GPA was.
            Police Academy Commander
            Lead Firearms Instructor
            35+ years as a cop
            Becoming a Police Officer
            So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7490 users online. 373 members and 7117 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X