This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Applicants Must Read Before Posting a Question

Since anyone that spends any amount of time on this forum sees the same question (with slight/insignificant variations), can we have a sticky that answers the most common questions for them?

If you have come to this forum to find a way to minimize or mitigate your past mistakes, you are in the wrong place - we don't want you. If you made some mistakes in your past, owned up to it and paid the consequences then keep reading.

For those of you considering entering law enforcement, we understand that you have lots of questions. Believe it or not, many past applicants have had similar questions, which have been answered here ad nauseum.

The answer to almost all of your questions will be, "Disclose what you did when you apply and hope for the best."

Hiring decisions are made by individual agencies, and although there are some automatic disqualifiers for most agencies - you might be amazed to find that they are usually posted with the hiring announcement and will likely include:

1. No convicted felons
    2. No domestic violence convictions
    3. No arrests for assaulting law enforcement
    4. No recent drug use

Almost everything else will be decided by the agency you apply to, including:

1. Your drug use
    2. Your employment history
    3. Your criminal history (convictions, arrests and the ones you got away with)
    4. Your integrity

Law enforcement is based on integrity - so coming on here and trying to explain how some officer didn't listen, or somehow gave you the short end of the stick will fall on deaf ears, and likely start a flame war that you will surely lose.

Every one of us has made mistakes, and it is crucial that you admit it all to your background investigator. You will likely go through a polygraph where they will decide if you have told them everything.

In short, if after reading this and then using the search function to see if your question has been answered you have a question, feel free to ask. If the question has been answered on the forum, expect to receive curt and snippy answers directing you to an older thread. If these answers annoy you, consider it pre-screening for law enforcement - and you just found out this is not the career for you.

Although your circumstances may be unique, it is unlikely that your background investigator regularly checks this forum, so you question has likely been answered. On that note, be warned that background investigators will search this forum for information on you, so be careful what you post.

If you are still reading, go on to read Guam's sticky, The Applicant’s Guide to Getting Hired
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

I really like this thread. Its simple, blunt, and should answer the majority of an applicant's questions.

Now since we don't live in a world were the majority of the population has common sense, applicants will ignore this thread and post anyway. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by catch um and ba View Post
      Now since we don't live in a world were the majority of the population has common sense, applicants will ignore this thread and post anyway. Ugh.
      True, too bad we can't report them to some site for all BI's - Applicant cannot follow simple instructions
      "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
      sigpic

Comment

Lol well if they are dense enough to make a simple mistake like not reading a post, the departments will likely DQ them for something similar.

Unless they are working for one of those 'we need warm bodies' departments.

*cough* DART *cough*

Comment

You know by saying "must read" they won't .. LOL I can almost guess that the next 20 questions asked, are those that this and the other sticky would answer... oh well.. ..
          Police Academy Commander
          Lead Firearms Instructor
          35+ years as a cop
          Becoming a Police Officer
          So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

From what i read over the past year on here I think that "refer to sticky 1 or 2" will suffice for answering all future questions right?

Comment

I like this. This should be posted on the top of the Forums section and must be read before any new non LEO users register. Nice job pretty much covers it all.
              sigpic
              Formerly Username k91376
              " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

"Would you give you Mom a ticket?"

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
                You know by saying "must read" they won't .. LOL I can almost guess that the next 20 questions asked, are those that this and the other sticky would answer... oh well.. ..
                Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I've been catching up on posts regarding the Arlington PD, I will be interviewing and, hopefully, completing my Physical Abilities Test the end of January.

I've found the posts I've read to be very helpful. However, I've seen variations of the question in the subject line several times during my readings and it seems everyone is looking for the same answer: no, I wouldn't give my Mom a ticket.

Problem is, I would. Let me explain and ask your thoughts on it.

Coming from a working-class family, we didn't have much but my parents made sure that we developed sound core values. These included respect of self and others; honesty and integrity; and that behaviors had consequences both good and bad and to keep that in mind as we made decisions in our lives.

If my Mom was speeding, she had decided to do so. And in making that choice, she also chose to accept its consequences-the good one would be getting to her destination sooner; the bad one could be an accident or, to our point here, a ticket from a police officer.

If I were the officer stopping her she would expect to be ticketed because of the very values she herself had taught me. Were I to not do so would dissappoint her because I would betray everything she held dear, and taught me to hold dear, simply so she could avoid a fine. Saving a few dollars would not compensate her for such a failure of character in me.

So, do you guys think an interviewer who may be looking for the "stock" answer to this question would believe that I would ticket my Mom if they understood this?

Now, it the question were, "Would you shoot your MoM?", that would be a very different story...

Thanks for your insight.

David
                Never pick a fight with an Old Guy. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Comment

• LawBoy252
                  LawBoy252 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was asked this at my first department process, I knew a bit about Law Enforcement since I had been a MP. I gave them a honest answer, which was a no. I told them that being a sworn officer I have discretion on a number of things, if there was. I specific department policy stating it was mandatory and it WAS NOT felony speeding (in excess of 15-20moh over) then I would give her a verbal warning. I told them I would definitely have a stern talk with her after my shift about putting me in potentially compromising positions though

They laughed and said "damn good honest answer, that's what we like to hear"

2days later I was signing my employment offer.

Originally posted by cgh6366 View Post
                True, too bad we can't report them to some site for all BI's - Applicant cannot follow simple instructions
                First, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. I do appreciate your time.

Second, let me assure all of you that I did follow the instructions and I did read what I understand to be "stickies 1 & 2" (Sticky Applicants Must Read Before Posting a Question by, I think cgh6366 and the companion article embeded in it, Applicant's Guide to Geting Hired). If these are not the ones several of you have cited, please let me know and I will find and read them.

Having read them a second time just now, the only part from both articles that seems relevant is from the second one cited above. Specifically, and in part:

“Applicant’s guide to getting hired”, Guams

THE INTERVIEWS.

“…The answers should be thought out by YOU and YOU alone. Interviewers know a textbook answer when they hear one, even the “rookie interviewers.” If you search the forums, you’ll find a variety of example questions and answers, but I will stress that you should come up with your own answers to the questions in the forums. Besides, there’s nothing like a good confidence boost when you see the look on the interviewer’s face when you give the best answer they’ve heard all day! If you think out your own answers, it’ll happen….”

Having read many posts in this forum, and having talked to several police officers and a few Texas Troopers and I understand that my response is not the usual one given to this question. It seems that most of these officers would not cite their mothers for speeding. I have to assume that their position in this matter is a reflection of what they would truly do and is based on their own sense of values, and I respect that. And my answer reflects what I would truly do based on my sense of values learned in large part from the very woman to whom I would issue the citation. And I hope others would respect that as well.

While I understand the citation above and its relevance to my question, I'm having a hard time squaring the integrity that seems to be valued by the LEOs posting on this forum and the idea that many of those same LEOs would not cite one person (their mother) when they would cite someone else (I've assumed the second part of the situation otherwise there really is no discussion).

My simple question still remains: would my answer, and the reasoning behind it, make sense to an interviewer who asks this qustion to find out where my loyalties lie?

So, the short of it is (for those of you still with me...): I did follow instructions and I did understand what I read. And, flip responses aside, I'd still like to hear your response to it.

What do you say???
                Never pick a fight with an Old Guy. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by cgh6366 View Post
                  First, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. I do appreciate your time.

Second, let me assure all of you that I did follow the instructions and I did read what I understand to be "stickies 1 & 2" (Sticky Applicants Must Read Before Posting a Question by, I think cgh6366 and the companion article embeded in it, Applicant's Guide to Geting Hired). If these are not the ones several of you have cited, please let me know and I will find and read them.

Having read them a second time just now, the only part from both articles that seems relevant is from the second one cited above. Specifically, and in part:

“Applicant’s guide to getting hired”, Guams

THE INTERVIEWS.

“…The answers should be thought out by YOU and YOU alone. Interviewers know a textbook answer when they hear one, even the “rookie interviewers.” If you search the forums, you’ll find a variety of example questions and answers, but I will stress that you should come up with your own answers to the questions in the forums. Besides, there’s nothing like a good confidence boost when you see the look on the interviewer’s face when you give the best answer they’ve heard all day! If you think out your own answers, it’ll happen….”

Having read many posts in this forum, and having talked to several police officers and a few Texas Troopers and I understand that my response is not the usual one given to this question. It seems that most of these officers would not cite their mothers for speeding. I have to assume that their position in this matter is a reflection of what they would truly do and is based on their own sense of values, and I respect that. And my answer reflects what I would truly do based on my sense of values learned in large part from the very woman to whom I would issue the citation. And I hope others would respect that as well.

While I understand the citation above and its relevance to my question, I'm having a hard time squaring the integrity that seems to be valued by the LEOs posting on this forum and the idea that many of those same LEOs would not cite one person (their mother) when they would cite someone else (I've assumed the second part of the situation otherwise there really is no discussion).

My simple question still remains: would my answer, and the reasoning behind it, make sense to an interviewer who asks this qustion to find out where my loyalties lie?

So, the short of it is (for those of you still with me...): I did follow instructions and I did understand what I read. And, flip responses aside, I'd still like to hear your response to it.

What do you say???

Comment

Originally posted by catch um and ba View Post
                    Lol well if they are dense enough to make a simple mistake like not reading a post, the departments will likely DQ them for something similar.

Unless they are working for one of those 'we need warm bodies' departments.

*cough* DART *cough*
                    I read the posts and they did not answer my question. For whatever it may be worth, I was invited to interview with the Texas Department of Public Safety this past summer for a Trooper Trainee position. I don't know if you consider this agency one of the "...we need warm bodies..." departments or not. That's up to you. But if you do, I think you'd be in the minority.

Their screening process is exhaustive as is their testing. I completed an application process and BI that went back to my freshman year in high school and passed that; likewise the poly, the psych, and the orals (and, yes, I gave my true answer to that question when they asked it...). I scored 187 out of 190 on the written test finishing in less than half the alloted time (is that "dense enough?") and I trained for the PAT and could pass all parts. I'd be in the academy now except for a physical exam that didn't allow any problems in the appliant's joints, which I have had in the past.

It's people like you that people like me look up to for insight at a time that is important to us. Such a response as this is dissappointing coming from a professional with your credentials.

Comment

Thank you cgh for the insightful post. Being a relatively new member I do have many questions. I followed your advice to read this and the applicant's guide to getting hired post, and have found answers to three of them already! So glad I didn't start a new thread and look like a total goof...( Im saving that for later) lol!! I agree with k91king3 that this information should be posted at the top of the forums and really should be required reading for all new members. Thanks for the great tip!

Comment

Who in their right mind would give their mom a speeding ticket? Any BI would think you are a jackass of a son to do such a thing! You would simply say to your mom, ma, SLOW THE HECK DOWN. Your putting me in a very difficult position. Love ya, see you later, be safe.
                        I bet this mo-ron didn't get hired.

Comment

Question about the back ground check
                          Last edited by MrOneTwo; 04-02-2016, 12:48 AM.
                          Be part of the solution, not part of the problem

Comment

Hi, I'm new the forum I read the beginning portion of this forum. I will be taking the new 2016 MTA Police exam in February; as of right now I have been studying. My question is i was selected to take the exam, since they do things differently compared to other nyc city police agency what happens if someone doesn't have the two year requirement of being a police officer by the panel interview?. To take the written all you need is the age of 35 and be living nyc area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9683 users online. 407 members and 9276 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X