300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently layed off.

So today was the day, I work at a small IT company and we weren't doing well, I was layed off today and told I could get unemployment. I have never been layed off from anywhere and they said they had to do cutbacks, and were restructuring the entire organization. So I am jobless now...

However, I get home today and check the mail... my Sherrif/Police test results for one of the civil service tests i took CAME FINALLY. I took the exam on the 15th of November. I passed with a 80% and was #116 on the list. I am going to fill it out and hand it back in, I applied for all the local cities and towns.

My question is this... what would the best thing for me to do to move towards my career in law enforcement. I do not want to do IT anymore, I was a Sales Engineer and the last two years all I could think about was becoming a cop. I was thinking about trying to get a dispatch job somewhere? Something in the field would help me correct? Would agencies look down on someone who was layed off? The CEO of the company told me he would write letters of reccomendations, etc, and that it was not due to my job peformance.

Thanks Guys/Gals
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

You were very vague in your question. What kind of an education do you have? How old are you? Have you gone to the academy? Can you put yourself through while on unemployment? Does your state offer retraining and put you through school?

Comment

Being laid off is not grounds for DQ and there is no dishonor in such status. Companies downsize for a variety of reasons, be it the economy, seasonal staffing changes, competition, product shifts, etc., and some employees just lose their jobs. It's that simple. If that's the case with you, it shouldn't be a problem.

Similarly, filing for unemployment is not a disqualifying factor. There is usually a certain lag time between when you file for unemployment and you first check comes in, so file as soon as possible if you have not done so already.

Remember that getting hired in a civil service job (even as a dispatcher or just a clerical) can sometimes be a lengthy process. So even though you want to work in a related field until you find a job as a police officer, think about getting any job now, just to put money in your pocket until you can find a civil service position.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
        If you can get into the department before you get the job you actually want (dispatch before cop... jails before cop) than that time SHOULD count towards your retirement. Just keep taking your tests, keeping out of trouble, staying in physically fit shape and applying.
        Thanks for the info
        Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
        You were very vague in your question. What kind of an education do you have? How old are you? Have you gone to the academy? Can you put yourself through while on unemployment? Does your state offer retraining and put you through school?
        Sorry about that, was a bit of a shock today. I have a Associated degree in Information Technology/ Computer Networking Sytems. I'm 25. The ONLY was to self sponsor here is be sponsored by another agency. The course is only offered once a year and has passed. You need to be put through by a department. I'm not sure on the state question.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Being laid off is not grounds for DQ and there is no dishonor in such status. Companies downsize for a variety of reasons, be it the economy, seasonal staffing changes, competition, product shifts, etc., and some employees just lose their jobs. It's that simple. If that's the case with you, it shouldn't be a problem.

Similarly, filing for unemployment is not a disqualifying factor. There is usually a certain lag time between when you file for unemployment and you first check comes in, so file as soon as possible if you have not done so already.

Remember that getting hired in a civil service job (even as a dispatcher or just a clerical) can sometimes be a lengthy process. So even though you want to work in a related field until you find a job as a police officer, think about getting any job now, just to put money in your pocket until you can find a civil service position.
        Thank you L1. I will be filing Monday for unemployment. I have to pay the morgtage somehow. I know it can be a time consuming procedure, and im prepared to wait. Everything was going so well... Bought my first house... got promoted at work... featured in the local news paper as an up and comer... job layoff and now unemployed.

I truly believe everything happens for a reason, maybe this is my chance to pursue my dream.
        PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

You should look at your state's requirements and see how that works for you. You might want to go back to school and obtain a degree in Criminal Justice or the like. I wish you luck. My wife was laid off a few years back. It really sucked.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your being layed off. Did you take the State Police exam this year?

Comment

Originally posted by STATECOPPER View Post
              Sorry to hear about your being layed off. Did you take the State Police exam this year?
              It was last year, i didn't get to take it. However, I took about 4 different exams for surrounding counties and cities. Hopefully I will get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
                It was last year, i didn't get to take it. However, I took about 4 different exams for surrounding counties and cities. Hopefully I will get in there.
                Make sure you take it next time. Remember they put classes through in bigger numbers. My class was 148. There have been classes well over 200. And as low as 50. Our academy usually runs twice a year. So that could be up to 4-500 hired a year. Probably not so high now with the economy.
                Being you're from the Albany area chances are if you got in you'll be stationed near home.
                Next year my base will be 98k. Benefits are good. 12 hr shifts but every other Fri,Sat Sun off. Something to think about. You can take the test up until your 30th birthday unless you have prior military service, then 35. If you want more info pm me your address and I can send you some recruiting info.

Comment

Originally posted by STATECOPPER View Post
                  Make sure you take it next time. Remember they put classes through in bigger numbers. My class was 148. There have been classes well over 200. And as low as 50. Our academy usually runs twice a year. So that could be up to 4-500 hired a year. Probably not so high now with the economy.
                  Being you're from the Albany area chances are if you got in you'll be stationed near home.
                  Next year my base will be 98k. Benefits are good. 12 hr shifts but every other Fri,Sat Sun off. Something to think about. You can take the test up until your 30th birthday unless you have prior military service, then 35. If you want more info pm me your address and I can send you some recruiting info.

PMd you, thank you again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11708 users online. 406 members and 11302 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X