300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ'd and appeal denied now what?

First I am going to give an honest background on my situation. I was in an elite unit in the USMC as a military police officer with HMX-1 presidential helicopter squadron. I admit I have done some things wrong I "stole" a gortex jacket. While on mission I found a jacket no one claimed it for 1-2 weeks after asking everyone on the mission. So I sold it on ebay. I was told I was selling government property and should have turned it in. As well as a time I came back from China and sold a rolex watch on ebay as well. The watch came back fake yes I should have known better and had it checked out by a jewler first but I was young and dumb but I refunded the man his money a week later. To be honest these are pretty much the ONLY things I have ever done wrong in my life and these things took place 7-8 years ago. I feel I have learned from my past issues, I'm a better person than I was 8 years ago, and I'm trying to put the past behind me. I've never touched a drug or anything else minor at all either. Today at my appeal it feels like I was branded a criminal. All my hard work as a military police officer and training they actually used against me saying even though I was only 20 I "acted like a hood". I heard before people warned me Harrisburg was a really hard PD to get in to but I didn't think I'd have a problem at all. I was upfront and honest to every single thing and its a huge downer being DQ'ed. In my appeal I was with 3 other guys appealing their DQ. Nothing against one man at all and I wish him the best but he smoked pot a few times 5 years ago his appeal was accepted and sent to the next stage of hiring. I don't quite understand that smoking pot 5 years ago is ok and my issues 8 years ago was seen so negatively.

I admit to the things I have done wrong and completely honest here even though embaraced of my faults but I feel this is a mature site where people understand people make mistakes. So how does it work, the next police department(s) I apply to going to act the same way and see that Harrisburg didn't hire me? I feel I was unfairly branded for a few things that happened so long ago. Thats like saying someone in college that smoked weed 3-5 times 8 years ago is going to be a pot-head their whole life.
    Am I going to be blacklisted for every other department now?
    Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be completely clear of my situation so there is no confusion to anyone replying. Thank you for your time and any advice.
    Last edited by LoKiUSMC; 12-14-2008, 08:08 AM. Reason: speeling & gramar -vent :D

When you make the assertion that this Sgt/Staff Sgt etc "had it in for you", you raise considerable red flags. I'm not saying these things don't happen, but they are difficult to prove, and really sound like "sour grapes". Your Military record should really pretty well speak for itself-good or bad. Two integrity issues come up in your post. The sale of the jacket(Govt Property) Sale of the counterfiet watch, even though you made restitution to the purchaser. As a Military Policeman, you know that integrity is at the basis of all we do in Law Enforcement. Are you DQ'd forever? Probably not, and you should consider applying at other departments. When you do, the DQ with Harrisburg will have to disclosed. The issues you mentioned will also have to be disclosed. Obviously, I can't speak for any specific law enforcement agency, but you may have a shot. Take full responsibility for the problems you mentioned in your post. Make no excuses, no rationalizations. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      When you make the assertion that this Sgt/Staff Sgt etc "had it in for you", you raise considerable red flags. I'm not saying these things don't happen, but they are difficult to prove, and really sound like "sour grapes". Your Military record should really pretty well speak for itself-good or bad. Two integrity issues come up in your post. The sale of the jacket(Govt Property) Sale of the counterfiet watch, even though you made restitution to the purchaser. As a Military Policeman, you know that integrity is at the basis of all we do in Law Enforcement. Are you DQ'd forever? Probably not, and you should consider applying at other departments. When you do, the DQ with Harrisburg will have to disclosed. The issues you mentioned will also have to be disclosed. Obviously, I can't speak for any specific law enforcement agency, but you may have a shot. Take full responsibility for the problems you mentioned in your post. Make no excuses, no rationalizations. Good luck.
      yes sir, thats what I did initially. I plainly said to them I've made mistakes, I've been completely honest about them, they were many years ago, I've learned from them, and put them past me. I didn't try rationalizing or anything in my interviews. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4333 users online. 185 members and 4148 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
      X