Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaring Tips

Hello Guys,

I work at Caribou Coffee and during our shifts we accept tips. At the end of the shift we take our tips home (obviously), however, do not declare them, but I was wondering if this will hinder me from becoming a police officer, my dream job.

Thanks guys

BE SAFE

no one knows if this will affect me?

Comment

You are required by law to report your income for tax purposes. While the practice of not reporting tips is common, your tips are income, so failure to declare them is technically tax evasion. If you feel the weight of this crime will cause you potential problems in the hiring process then start reporting your tips. That said, I can't see alone would be a serious enough issue to prevent your employment at most agencies, and don't really know that it will come up except for a background question like "Can you think of any crime you have ever committed."

Good luck.
      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I am a waiter and we all know what we are "required" to claim but, when you try to get a car or buy a house, you dont make enough money. I would never have been approved for my home loan if I wasnt religous about how I claim, even though my sales are over 100k through November. In the end it hurts more for you to not claim, let alone the fact it is illegal, and tax evasion.
        Aplication submitted 2-18-09
        PT with SSPD on 2-27-09

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer587 View Post
          I am a waiter and we all know what we are "required" to claim but, when you try to get a car or buy a house, you dont make enough money. I would never have been approved for my home loan if I wasnt religous about how I claim, even though my sales are over 100k through November. In the end it hurts more for you to not claim, let alone the fact it is illegal, and tax evasion.

You make over 100k as a waiter????????
          "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
          sigpic

Comment

When I worked for tips I just estimated them at the end of the year and declared them on my taxes.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9956 users online. 351 members and 9605 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
            X